Boot Loop after Update

heineken016

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
So I've been on a trek in Nepal and using my 930 to take pictures. onedrive upload is on and I've been backing it up every couple of days to my tablet too.

Buuuuuut... We got WiFi for the first time in a few days last night. This morning I wake up to my phone in a boot loop, roughly like this:
- Nokia logo
- windows logo for about 1sec
- Black screen for about 5 mins
- phone resets, repeats.

Now I know I need to do a hard reset, as regular power button reset and power+vol down resets don't do anything.

All I want is USB access to grab the last few days photos, but can't make it work. Device shows up in Device Manager as Lumia 930, but there is no drive present in My Computer or Disk Management.

I've also tried Recovery Mode with Power Button + Vol Up, shows up as 'WinUSB device'

Can anyone help? I'll be eternally grateful!

Last edited:

heineken016

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
I should add, I am (very slowly on the hotel wifi) installing Windows Device Recovery Tool, hoping that it has some USB drivers I don't already have.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Had this happen once to me too. Is this Windows 10 or 8.1?
I found this article helpful: Lumia 930 stuck in boot loop - Microsoft Community (specifically the post by JovchePopovski)

In case that link doesn't work, here are the details from the post that helped me:

1.hold power button + volume up key at the same time. Phone will reboot after vibrating. Eventually you should see a lightning bolt with a cog (i think it was a cog)
2. hold down power button + volume down key. Same thing should happen - vibrate followed by phone reboot. Keep holding down until the exclamation mark appears. let go and perform the next step immediately as the exclamation point will disappear after 15-30 seconds and the phone goes back into that annoying loop (Note: this step is a bit hazy to me. I cannot remember if I let go at some point and pressed power plus vol- combination. Either way, the key is to get the exclamation mark on your phone and you should be right to go. Experiment)
3. Press these buttons one at a time in this order:
- Volume Up, Volume Down, Power, Volume Down
4. Device should vibrate, reboot, show the Nokia flash screen, and then go to the spinning gears install screen.
5. This should eventually get you into the startup/setup prompts

heineken016

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
thanks for the reply mlekas. Will that method do a hard reset, ie lose all my photos?
the startup/setup prompt part makes me think it will

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Yes, sorry - this is the only way to get your phone to connect with a computer, so if you want to keep using the phone to take pictures those instructions should help.

Were your onedrive uploads not happening? Or you just want to make sure? I guess a phone repair shop is not nearby.

I'm sorry for your situation.

heineken016

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Had no internet until the night it auto-updated :/

Read into it a bit more, and you can't even use a 'recuva' type program after a hard reset, as the phone connects over MTP not USB.

Ended up hard resetting and lost the pics, bit lame, but these things happen. Thanks for your help again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077