W10M exposes broken microphones on Lumia 930

Skynet3D

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi there, i report my experience with 930 broken mics.

Since a few months ago I started to have issues, Mic 2 volume suddenly became super low and for some reasons this affected phone calls. Basically, the one on the other side was not able to hear my voice clearly. Sometime it was good, sometimes very far, sometimes totally muted.
So I bought on internet a backup mic which i assembled today and found out this breaks mic 1 too. With this new mic on, they result both muted.. i didnt do any hard reset, i think it makes no sense. The conclusion is that i received the new mic broken, or it is not compatible with my phone
Anyways... just for the hell of it i tried to fire up the phone removing completely mic 2 and... boom now phone calls are very clear, Cortana hear me, as well as calls using the speaker are fine. Also voice recorder works fine.
So i guess that mic 2 is used only for noise reduction or something else. It works together with Mic 1 during calls, or it is a backup mic in case Mic 1 fails. So in case you have issues with mic 2, and mic 1 is working fine, first try to remove mic 2 and see if your problems go away. Pretty weird, but it works.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
I have one mic issue with my Lumia 930 (using currently WM10). The mic used to voice notes of WhatsApp, and the one used in videocall (Skype, WhatsApp) doesn't get audio, as it doesn't work. If I connect earphones to the mobile while doing the videocall, it catch the audio.

Does anyone know how to solve it? It's easy to by a microphone and manually replace it? I don't know how to identify wich microphone is failing, the program linked in this thread is no longer avaiable.

Thank you for your help.

webvan

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Someone else with a mic problem! I just got a brand new sealed 930 (HW revision: 2.0.0.3) and Mics 3 & 4 (Top Back and Top Front based on my tests, 1 is) were very weak in the testing utility. As a result no stereo to speak of was produced with the video app or with Audio Recorder Pro. So very disappointing...

It doesn't seem the other Lumia phones with 4 microphones (1520 and 950) have similar problems ? The 1520 is huge though and the 950 is Win 10 only with low video bitrates and no surround...

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Someone else with a mic problem! I just got a brand new sealed 930 (HW revision: 2.0.0.3) and Mics 3 & 4 (Top Back and Top Front based on my tests, 1 is) were very weak in the testing utility. As a result no stereo to speak of was produced with the video app or with Audio Recorder Pro. So very disappointing...

It doesn't seem the other Lumia phones with 4 microphones (1520 and 950) have similar problems ? The 1520 is huge though and the 950 is Win 10 only with low video bitrates and no surround...

What testing app are you using? I have the 2.0.0.2 HW version and I'm not sure what mics (and where they are) are failing. I have no voice in WhatsApp voice notes, in audio record and in video calls without earphones. Works fine when doing a normal call, or when I connect earphones in video call. It will be helpful know how to test it for me sure and know how to solve it.

Thank you.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site

Thank you very much! :wink:

I have done the test, and I didn't recieve audio from microphones 3 and 4. So, do you mean that are the top microphones (front and back)?

I have read about people that solve this problem by removing the micro, but I'm not sure if it's safe.

First of all, I wonder if the problem is software or hardware. Does the problem happen if the SO is rolled-back to WP8.1? I can't try it, but it will be interesting to test it.

If is a problem related to the W10 versión, could be fixed with future updates. I don't remember when exactly it started to fail.

webvan

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Yes these are the top mics, front and back. It's a hardware problem unfortunately as that test app works at a "low level", i.e. before the OS is loaded. A very frequent problem on 930 phones unfortunately. I thought I'd be safe when getting a sealed 930 but alas no luck.

DavidBS1989

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Yes these are the top mics, front and back. It's a hardware problem unfortunately as that test app works at a "low level", i.e. before the OS is loaded. A very frequent problem on 930 phones unfortunately. I thought I'd be safe when getting a sealed 930 but alas no luck.

OK, I understand. Then, I will bring the mobile to repair to an unofficial store (cause B2X it seems to don't do it), I know one of confidence. Thanks for your info! ;-)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro