Windows 10 Mobile on Lumia 930

DoriKinStarr

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I've installed the new OS, Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 930 and find out that there are few flaws/cons I found out... Quite sad for me as a long fan of Lumia devices.

- Overheating when the phone is idle and opening an app
- Camera is not able to record audio when recording a video. Temporary fix was pluggin an earpiece with a mouthpiece to record but it is mono.
- Pictures are not in good quality

These are some that I found out and quite disappointment so I've already rolled back to Windows 8.1 and I'm happy with using it. I will upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile if everything for Lumia 930 is smooth as how Windows 8.1 is running. Feel free to add in more opinions/flaws of the new OS when installing on Lumia 930.

Thanks!

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've installed the new OS, Windows 10 Mobile on my Lumia 930 and find out that there are few flaws/cons I found out... Quite sad for me as a long fan of Lumia devices.

- Overheating when the phone is idle and opening an app
- Camera is not able to record audio when recording a video. Temporary fix was pluggin an earpiece with a mouthpiece to record but it is mono.
- Pictures are not in good quality

These are some that I found out and quite disappointment so I've already rolled back to Windows 8.1 and I'm happy with using it. I will upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile if everything for Lumia 930 is smooth as how Windows 8.1 is running. Feel free to add in more opinions/flaws of the new OS when installing on Lumia 930.

Thanks!

Did you try a factory reset without restoring from a backup?

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
You should get audio in video after factory reset without restore. Despite that, new microsoft camera app is:
- slow to focus, even in bright light,
- viewfinder is laggy,
- quality in auto is bad,
- camera doesn't meter exposure from a focus point, it always meters in center of image. You can have a scene where 1/3 of the screen is overexposed, bottom is underexposed, center is correctly exposed. If you move focus point to top or bottom exposure will still be set to value metered at the center of the frame.

amdybg40

Jul 20, 2014
Visit site
No Cortana or motion data in 'Extras' setting menu if you factory reset though. Tbh, I've been on every version of W10 through the developer channel as the 930 I have is a spare phone, so bugs didn't matter. Personally, i think the time it has taken to get to the stage the software is now is a joke. Have MS only got three people working on it?!

DoriKinStarr

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Still not working... Upset! And furthermore, I'm regret when reroll back to Windows 8.1 Mobile. I'm stuck with Lumia Cyan. Cannot upgrade to Lumia Denim!!! ARGH!!!

sarim_xyz

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I installed W10M on March 5th, and hard reset my 930 after installing. When the official W10M launched, I switched to production ring and left the insider ring. The 164 version is quite stable on my 930. I don't have the microphone problem, videos record audio fine. I am not sure about mono/stereo because, honestly I don't know how to test that, so ignorance is bliss here. Haven't compared camera sample though, so can't comment on that. The motion data app can be installed from here. It works fine on my 930. No 'Hey Cortana' though. Battery life has gone down, wish it could last longer :( Phone still heats up like anything. Other than that, I believe I am ok with it.

DoriKinStarr

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Nice review, sarim_xyz... But I'm still waiting till Lumia 930 is still clear from problems... I still don't understand of why the Windows 10 Mobile for Lumia 930 got bugs before the official release but still make it public release. They should check it thoroughly before release.

jeag888

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
I had battery issues on my 930 after W10 the update,
just did a hard reset, going to see how it works, and on a side note: the hard reset on windows 10 brought Lumia Camera back...
edit: hard reseted form a 8.1 backup, an "update" on the app just disabled lumia camera app again, if you want to use lumia camera you should disable automatic updates.

Last edited:

DoriKinStarr

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I had battery issues on my 930 after W10 the update,
just did a hard reset, going to see how it works, and on a side note: the hard reset on windows 10 brought Lumia Camera back...
edit: hard reseted form a 8.1 backup, an "update" on the app just disabled lumia camera app again, if you want to use lumia camera you should disable automatic updates.

Thanks for the heads up!... Will keep noted for others who are updated to the Windows 10 Mobile... Hope Microsoft will fix everything...

Nokia930usr

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Here is my OS and Firmware /Slow ring and Insider release preview .
Seems ok so far .
33m655j.jpg

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
I just want to say something.

On my L930 after so many insider builds installed one after another I noticed the phone should perform better than it does. I am now on insider latest build 164, so i couldn't upgrade to official W10M, as I am already up to date. So yesterday I did a comparison between my phone and my cousin's L930, which got W10M officially from 8.1 Denim. His phone has never been hard reset before, storage was full, many apps installed/uninstalled, so it was a bit laggy in 8.1. We tested the speed opening same apps at the same time, and his official W10 was about 5 seconds faster than mine on insider, same build. My device showed loading screen more often.

So there is a performance difference after all. I guess they did something right with Official release :)

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Windows Camera is ridiculous. I bought this phone for 480$, damn it. Part of why I bought it was the awesome camera everyone envied me. Now I'm stuck with Windows Camera which takes just ridiculously bad photos, especially in low light, on a 20mpx shooter.

Does anyone know a suitable replacement camera app from the store? :( Lumia Camera no longer works on Win 10.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Windows Camera is ridiculous. I bought this phone for 480$, damn it. Part of why I bought it was the awesome camera everyone envied me. Now I'm stuck with Windows Camera which takes just ridiculously bad photos, especially in low light, on a 20mpx shooter.

Does anyone know a suitable replacement camera app from the store? :( Lumia Camera no longer works on Win 10.

Just install Lumia Camera Classic.

To do this, install SysAppPusher first :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss