Bricked Lumia 930 - help!

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
So I searched the forums and couldn't find a solution for this. My mother's less-than-a-year-old gold Lumia 930 won't turn on. Tried all the soft and hard reset button combinations, the Windows Device Recovery Tool won't recognize the phone, and the Nokia Recovery Tool for Retail won't either.

Should I try ordering a new battery or will I be wasting my money, not to mention time opening the phone up? Unfortunately this as an international version of the device purchased from Amazon that does not come with a warranty.

Thanks

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
If it won't turn on the there's a power issue. Have you tried another charger? Also try the soft reset with the phone on charge.
Failing that you will need to get the device repaired.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I tired everything... soft reset with the phone plugged, unplugged. Hard reset didn't work either. The phone is simply dead after it ran perfectly for several months.

I tried multiple chargers, outlets, and homes.

Microsoft will not repair Lumia 930s in the United States. I'm out of ideas :cry:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Have you left it plugged in to charger for a couple of hours. Sounds daft, be raised mine from the dead. Does it vibrate at all? If it does then WDRT can normally pick it up.

Leave it plugged in for a couple of hours and let us know what happened.

One more thing, can't you go back to the seller on Amazon? If you bought it on Amazon then surely they must be able to help. It's not like it's a cheap chuck away.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Have you left it plugged in to charger for a couple of hours. Sounds daft, be raised mine from the dead. Does it vibrate at all? If it does then WDRT can normally pick it up.

Leave it plugged in for a couple of hours and let us know what happened.

One more thing, can't you go back to the seller on Amazon? If you bought it on Amazon then surely they must be able to help. It's not like it's a cheap chuck away.

Thanks Mad Cabbie. I left it on different chargers multiple times overnight. Nothing. It doesn't vibrate at all. Between myself and my family we must have owned around 10 Lumias over the years and this has never happened.

Unfortunately it says that the phone is past its return time. I've contacted the seller anyway in hopes that they can do something. Highly doubt it though.

I'll just try to sell it in the Marketplace. Maybe someone that fixes this stuff will realize they're getting a like new phone in mint cosmetic condition and knows a simple way to fix it and either keep or resell it.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Is paying for the phone to be repaired or at least getting a quote an option?

Hopefully someone in the U.S. can correct me if I'm wrong, but no... there's no place I can get the phone fixed :(. Microsoft will only repair phones purchased through them. The Lumia 930 isn't even sold here.

If anyone knows where I can have it repaired in the U.S. I'd be grateful.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I didn't necessarily mean repaired through Microsoft, how about 3rd party repairers?
It could just possibly be a battery replacement?

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I didn't necessarily mean repaired through Microsoft, how about 3rd party repairers?
It could just possibly be a battery replacement?

The problem is that, due to poor marketshare, Microsoft are really the only ones that do Windows Phone repairs in the U.S. Third parties seem to only work on iPhones, Galaxies, and maybe a select few other Android devices :(

Really is just a super bad luck situation. First world probs, I guess, but an expensive one -_-

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Won't change a thing since MS is the only one running repair service and they won't accept a 930 bought outside of states.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Won't change a thing since MS is the only one running repair service and they won't accept a 930 bought outside of states.
It's just here in the UK there are numerous 3rd party companies who do repairs (not affiliated with Microsoft).
Is that not the case in the US? What part of the US are you from Chomiq?
First thing I would try, would be to buy a replacement battery and swap it out.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
930 battery looks fairly easy to replace going by YouTube videos, I've got my own to swop out at the weekend, I picked up a new genuine battery for ?25.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Charlatan1978, everything you're saying and suggesting makes complete sense logically, but third party repair centers here in the U.S. are so iPhone-centric, some ONLY work on iPhones and not even Samsungs if you can believe that. Most do both but very few other phones. They just look at you like you're from another planet when you bring in a Lumia for any reason, even just a screen repair. I live in the Washington DC area.

I opened the phone up from the back. The battery looks fine, but in order to replace it you actually have to unscrew the entire frame to get to this battery ribbon that connects the battery with the phone. I thought it was as easy as just removing the back and pulling the battery out. Alas, it's not.

Somehow I doubt its a battery issue considering how relatively new the device is and that the battery looked fine. Could be wrong of course. Oh, also I know the battery takes a charge because the little while light on my wireless charging stand lights up when I put the phone on it. But the phone remains completely unresponsive to anything.

geminiinthesummer 1

Jan 26, 2019
Visit site
Nope! Tried multiple PCs and multiple USB ports. So weird.

Hey there I don't know if I will get a reply to this message but I will give it a try anyway.
So I've got a Nokia Lumia 930 windows phone, it was on windows 8.1 so I upgraded it to windows 10 which it installed no problem then I downloaded Facebook and Facebook messenger on to the phone and suddenly for no apparent reason the screen went completely black but the 3 buttons at the bottom of the screen light up still...I tried pressing the volume and the power button at the same time and it vibrated the lights on the bottom of the screen the search button the home page button (which looks like a window) and the back button but no start up page the screen just stays black...I need to know if anyone can advise me on if I can get it to work properly or if there is nothing that I can do with it!!! I have also tried connecting it to my laptop and it does recognize that the phone is connected to it...Help please anybody???

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills