Lumia Phone Test Application Installer - No Longer Available?

griffen247

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Lumia Phone Test Application Installer - No Longer Available

As of 05-07-2016, Microsoft has disabled the link for the "Lumia Phone Test Application Installer"

I have managed to find the installer file for this, which is v 6.0.8 which when run, needs to install prerequisite files.

Due to Microsoft removing the link to this software, the setup fails with a code 0x80070002

I therefore assume that a repository of files is needed to complete this installation successfully.

Does anyone have the full set of installation files for Lumia Phone Test Application?

I need this to assess the microphone failure issue when upgrading to Win 10

griffen247

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Re: Lumia Phone Test Application Installer - No Longer Available

Thanks, downloaded, but still does the same thing - the setup fails with a code 0x80070002

andersgeek

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey, griffen247, I feel your pain. It's a shame, MS removed this tool from the web.
I was looking for a possibly more recent version than the one I have installed on my desktop, because I wanted to install it on another PC, but nada. The error code the .exe installer shows is because it can't find a server or file to download the latest version, so it's all very unfortunate.

However, I rummaged my hard drive and found the .msi package to install v6.2.44 which should be latest version that tool ever got. It's from May 2016.
The installation works fine on a fresh Windows 10 install, and the tool can even still download the "test packages" [which it shares with the Windows Device Recovery Tool, so you might have them downloaded already anyway].

Long story short, here's the OneDrive link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AopN0hDQM6X-j5dK8ApXOipaN0gKSg
Of course, blindly trusting any .msi package a random stranger tries to sell you, isn't the best idea, but I promise it's the real deal. I just want - nay, need - people to be able to test their Lumias for faults. :)

edit, Aug. 25:
The installer appears to be German-only, see below.

Last edited:

jadonx

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi I have only the right channel recording audio with video since the W10 update. I spoke on windows phone chat line and he said there were no known problems with 930 and update and advised me to go through the restart/reset phone route going back to 8.1 and then forward again with update advisor(phew!).
Saw this thread and thought it might save time. I ran your file (thanks Andersgeek)but noticed it was in german and also could make out about it restoring to 8.1. I aborted running for now. Is there an English language option and does it restore to 8.1?
thanks John

andersgeek

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
[...] but noticed it was in german [...]
Huh, that's weird. Although, the installer might be German-only as you'll occasionally get the language for 3rd-party programmes or installers according to your regional settings [which are German for me] even on an English Windows [which I use]. That might be the reason why the installer's language is now hard-coded to German.

But: After it's installed [which should be straight-forward even in, say, Japanese ;)], you'll be able to set the language from a list of 40. The second button at the top of the Test App window should say "Einstellungen" which is "Settings" in English. From there, the first drop-down list contains the different languages. :)

Oh, and no, this tool is simply for testing your phone's components, like the speakers, flash, or light sensor. If you want to restore your phone to Windows Phone 8.1, you'll need the Windows Device Recovery Tool.

jadonx

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have tried this on microphone test only, it just cycles through test restart operation continuously though so I wonder if it is not getting updated correctly before test.....shame because might of been a time saver.

p0macs

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for sharing the Test Application 6.2.44 version. Successfully installed, but not able to switch any of my phones into test mode. Lumia 735/Lumia 640 DS - both just restarting in normal mode after some short message appears on the screen (some error code about StartBootApplication). Both phones have the latest 14393 build of Windows 10.
Any solution?

MOSJ

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded @andersgeek file but I can't install it - for some reason it opens as a .ppt file, even though I tried renaming it to .msi. Can anyone help me here?

sachamo

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey, griffen247, I feel your pain. It's a shame, MS removed this tool from the web.
I was looking for a possibly more recent version than the one I have installed on my desktop, because I wanted to install it on another PC, but nada. The error code the .exe installer shows is because it can't find a server or file to download the latest version, so it's all very unfortunate.

However, I rummaged my hard drive and found the .msi package to install v6.2.44 which should be latest version that tool ever got. It's from May 2016.
The installation works fine on a fresh Windows 10 install, and the tool can even still download the "test packages" [which it shares with the Windows Device Recovery Tool, so you might have them downloaded already anyway].

Long story short, here's the OneDrive link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AopN0hDQM6X-j5dK8ApXOipaN0gKSg
Of course, blindly trusting any .msi package a random stranger tries to sell you, isn't the best idea, but I promise it's the real deal. I just want - nay, need - people to be able to test their Lumias for faults. :)

edit, Aug. 25:
The installer appears to be German-only, see below.

You can change the language to English once you have completed the installation in the settings. It will even see an update. Let it download and install. The version will be 6.3.47. Thanks for the link.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I just downloaded and installed "Lumia Phone Test Application" as soon as it loaded it updated the newest version is,
7.0.7.6 and it aromatically opened in US English. Running it on my 1520 now

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo