Just bought a 930, hesitant to upgrade to Windows 10. Should I already?

idecris

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Just bought a brand new Lumia 930. Still debating as to whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or not.

Very concerned about the mic issue with 930s in Windows 10.

A phone is pretty much useless without its mic.

What do I lose or risk losing by upgrading to Windows 10?

What would I miss out on if I don't upgrade to Windows 10?

Just trying to weigh the pros and cons, so I can have the best experience with this phone.

I loved it right away. Nice handsome and solid build, beautiful looking screen. I've been using another Windows phone before buying the 930 although it was on a newer version of 8.1. I've practically used mostly Nokia phones most of my life. So I grabbed the opportunity to get this last flagship device from Nokia on a good deal Phil Peso 11,690 (249 US, 191 UK), came with an Otterbox, and a prepaid sim.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
there's a chance that stereo recording goes missing
Other than that, most of it's very much okay. You'll get better MS apps, regular updates, a better action centre, better looking start screen, more options for apps etc

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Better MS apps? Microsoft camera app has broken exposure meter on 930 and it hasn't been fixed since April. If you're planning to install W10 be sure to get Lumia Camera Beta on 8.1 so you can install it on W10. Otherwise you'll be stuck with crappy camera app.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Better MS apps? Microsoft camera app has broken exposure meter on 930 and it hasn't been fixed since April. If you're planning to install W10 be sure to get Lumia Camera Beta on 8.1 so you can install it on W10. Otherwise you'll be stuck with crappy camera app.

mail app, messaging, groove, video player, file manager, calculator, recording videos has more options in W10M etc

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I know this is about the 930, but does anyone know if the 830 is eligible for the anniversary update ? I am at build .494 now and hope this is one of the phones that can get R1.

I tried the insider slow ring and my device is configured to get the update, but nothing is happening when I try to download . It shows 0%. I don't think I need wifi because it started downloading through my data connection last time I tried but get stuck at 45%. So I tried a hard reset.

I guess I will try through my work office wifi connection and see what happens, so far my 830 runs Win10 beautifully.

Sorry I couldn't be more concise and not so longwinded.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I know this is about the 930, but does anyone know if the 830 is eligible for the anniversary update ? I am at build .494 now and hope this is one of the phones that can get R1.

I tried the insider slow ring and my device is configured to get the update, but nothing is happening when I try to download . It shows 0%. I don't think I need wifi because it started downloading through my data connection last time I tried but get stuck at 45%. So I tried a hard reset.

I guess I will try through my work office wifi connection and see what happens, so far my 830 runs Win10 beautifully.

Sorry I couldn't be more concise and not so longwinded.
In a word, yes. You're probably just seeing some hiccups.

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I got the update about an hour ago and so far it is smooth sailing. Using the windows central app for 8.1 because I can't post comments in the WC for Win 10.
Anyway, really liking the old Nokia design on this phone. Sturdy to say the least, but the back is a PITA to snap on, like whack a mole, get one side in the other pops out.
Anyway will see over time how this phone performs overall and will try to report on any issues.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I got the update about an hour ago and so far it is smooth sailing. Using the windows central app for 8.1 because I can't post comments in the WC for Win 10.
Anyway, really liking the old Nokia design on this phone. Sturdy to say the least, but the back is a PITA to snap on, like whack a mole, get one side in the other pops out.
Anyway will see over time how this phone performs overall and will try to report on any issues.

this is the 830? Laughing like crazy at your expressions :winktongue:

idecris

Aug 9, 2016
Visit site
Did it and Windows 10 looks beautiful in the 930. Finally got the features (and more) I missed from Windows 8.1 update 2 (I have a Cherry Mobile Alpha Luxe on this version of the OS). Never used the old Lumia camera app so that I wouldn't miss it. :) I don't know what I'm missing or have lost from 930 on Nokia/Windows 8.1 so it doesn't matter. Tested all the mics and all are working well, did video recordings, audio recording, calls, video calls, gently blowing at the mic holes, etc. Love this phone. I think it's real cool and beautiful. Hope it stays this way a long time. Good thing it came with a free Otterbox Defender which is built like a tank. :)

danchristerg

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
my Lumia 930 got no major issues with Windows 10 mobile, aside from the usual crashes of some apps which is not the problem of the OS but of the app itself. ☺

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

engellion

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Upgrading to Win10Mobile, you'll lose the Lumia Camera app, and along with it the ability to record in Dolby Digital 5.1 (6 channel) surround sound for Videos. Makes the 4 HAAC mics useless apart from some noise reduction. Videos will be constrained to a single audio stream of 192kbps 2 channel stereo, rather than two audio streams - one at 384Kbps 6 channel surround sound and the second at 256kbps 2 channel stereo.

This is the biggest let down for me so far. Good by Dolby Digital Rich Recording.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3