Trying to convert the kid to WMP. A 930 question.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
She currently has a 64gb iPhone 4s.
She's wanting a 6s.
I'm pondering getting her a 930 & since it doesn't have the storage of her current phone (which she may complain about), I was wondering if this along with a thumbdrive would solve the "storage on the go" issues?
Also, any sales pitches of the 930 vs. the 6s would be appreciated...hehehe.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 930 does not have OTG so that will not work under any circumstances.
Also, I personally would not want a phone where I have to use a dongle to fit all my music or anything.

Do not get her a 930. Or any Windows Phone unless she knows 120% what she's doing (the fact you're asking for a sales pitch makes me think otherwise) or is on an exceedingly tight budget.

A 64 GB iPhone 6s or 6 is in order unless she doesn't need the storage.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
True, but it's more of a budget thing.
I guess I can hold out a month to see how much a used 6s will be when the 7 comes out.
Don't hate a guy for trying to convert someone to the wonderful world of WMP!
It took me a while to get used to it too, at first, but once I did, all other platforms seem boring to me.

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
True, but it's more of a budget thing.
I guess I can hold out a month to see how much a used 6s will be when the 7 comes out.
Don't hate a guy for trying to convert someone to the wonderful world of WMP!
It took me a while to get used to it too, at first, but once I did, all other platforms seem boring to me.

Yea, iPhones certainly have a way of holding onto value! A 5S is still a capable phone too! (also worth checking out the SE or even a used 6 after the 7 drops)

But hey, I loved Windows Phone but now my needs have shifted to where its definitely inferior in key areas. If she's anything like me (not being very old) then connecting with people means apps that WM does not have.

I have a slightly younger friend who got an Icon after being impressed by my 920 a couple years ago. I guess I should be happy she doesn't complain (it was her first smartphone) and I should know it was her call but I feel a bit guilty to be honest. (to try to cover that I got her running on 10 with the new Messenger app) I can definitely see people who were "spoiled" by an iPhone spotting the flaws really quickly.

Chomiq

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, because kids need all the security holes and bugs they can get.

- Hey daddy I want to use that app everybody's talking about...
- Pokemon Go? Not on Windows 10 Mobile
- Nah, the other one
- Prisma? Not on Windows 10 Mobile
- Nah, not that one
- Snapchat? Not on Windows 10 Mobile
- Facebook? It's in BETA!
- Maybe I'll just watch something on YouTube
- Nope, sorry no YouTube ap
- Daddy, why are you doing this to me?!

No security holes? Sure, with barely any market presence there are no holes to exploit.
No bugs? I've just tried to take a photo in messenger, took it, cancelled, tried to take a photo again. Black screen on camera view, on screen buttons unresponsive. Attempting to relaunch messenger app fails on two attempts. App launches on third attempt, try to take photo, cancel, repeat 5 times, on fifth attempt black screen on camera view, buttons unresponsive. Pressing messenger icon does nothing. Suddenly after 10 seconds messenger launches again. Rinse, repeat, same thing. That's on 930 on latest official W10M version.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, because kids need all the security holes and bugs they can get.

W10M is buggier than most custom ROMs I've used.

As for security holes, Android is indeed more porous, but despite all the scary news coverage, it hasn't been a disaster. Just avoid untrusted applications and not install everything in sight, not unlike a PC.

And also choose the phone smartly. Don't get the cheapo no-name unless you know what to expect. Spring for a manufacturer who does the security patches and stuff. Google's Nexus phones are my default choice.

Also worth noting is Blackberry's Android lineup.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss