And now I'm deeply frustrated.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Today I decided to do a fresh install of W10M on my 930.

I have used a WDRT to go back to 8.1 and then jump to the latest Release Preview (what a jerky name btw. - when there will be any Final Release ??? The same goes for Skype - "Previews" all the time) - as it was working well... let's say OK for me.

So I expected it to work even better after HR. WROOOOOONG !

After 3 hours and 5 beers I currently have :
- unstable Bluetooth connection (my Band keeps on disconnecting)
- OneDrive photos will not open (it says just "we cant open this photo right now"... MSFT, are you kidding me ??)
- no photos in Contacts

MSFT, I know you re not reading this, but I put it here as I have already started... If you are trying to sell your products to business areas, try at least to keep them reliable. I can't imagine going on a visit to my customer and then trying to show him some photos form OneDrive for 15 minutes without success. This is just rubbish !

Anyway, one good thing - Lumia Camera is working. Yes, it is. I have no idea I will be able to use it under Windows 10. And they have repaired the Windows Camera application for L930 - right now light measuring is tied to the focusing point. YAY !!!

I have been WP and L930 fan for a long time now... but today it started to collapse.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Today I decided to do a fresh install of W10M on my 930.

I have used a WDRT to go back to 8.1 and then jump to the latest Release Preview (what a jerky name btw. - when there will be any Final Release ??? The same goes for Skype - "Previews" all the time) - as it was working well... let's say OK for me.

So I expected it to work even better after HR. WROOOOOONG !

After 3 hours and 5 beers I currently have :
- unstable Bluetooth connection (my Band keeps on disconnecting)
- OneDrive photos will not open (it says just "we cant open this photo right now"... MSFT, are you kidding me ??)
- no photos in Contacts

MSFT, I know you re not reading this, but I put it here as I have already started... If you are trying to sell your products to business areas, try at least to keep them reliable. I can't imagine going on a visit to my customer and then trying to show him some photos form OneDrive for 15 minutes without success. This is just rubbish !

Anyway, one good thing - Lumia Camera is working. Yes, it is. I have no idea I will be able to use it under Windows 10. And they have repaired the Windows Camera application for L930 - right now light measuring is tied to the focusing point. YAY !!!

I have been WP and L930 fan for a long time now... but today it started to collapse.

maybe the app hasn't had enough time to download the onedrive photos to view them
Unstable bluetooth - reinstall the band app
No photos on contacts - that's due to the new outlook system Microsoft have released, it's causing issues with contact photos

You didn't have to join release preview, you could have just done a upgrade and let it update to the official release build.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
You didn't have to join release preview, you could have just done a upgrade and let it update to the official release build.

You are absolutely right, but I don't get one thing, even for Insider Release Previews, they could at least try to get things done one by one - bugs eliminated, new features introduced... in some order. Right now I have an impression that with each release we get completely random product - I mean, you never know what will be working and what will not. And I think they don't even release full changelog every time ?
This is a little bit strange for me. How should I know if - for instance - they release some fix for some problem I met before and now I might have an occasion to test the solution ?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
You are absolutely right, but I don't get one thing, even for Insider Release Previews, they could at least try to get things done one by one - bugs eliminated, new features introduced... in some order. Right now I have an impression that with each release we get completely random product - I mean, you never know what will be working and what will not. And I think they don't even release full changelog every time ?
This is a little bit strange for me. How should I know if - for instance - they release some fix for some problem I met before and now I might have an occasion to test the solution ?

The insider release preview is strictly for bug fixes and performance improvements. No new features are added at this stage.

So 14393.xxx - all those builds are for the current release for official and release. No new features, just optimising

Slow ring currently is at 14931 - slightly less bugs than fast but again, new features

Fast ring currently is at 14936 - latest builds but can have serious bugs - new features are added

The pattern I've seen is that release can test one cumulative build like 14393.189, submit feedback and the next one has the fixes available and can even be released to the public

As for changelog, sometimes it's available on their blog

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I'd refine that advice even a bit further, slow ring works for those who want to help test but want less bugs, fast is really for those who either have a lot of resilience in dealing with bugs or are using it on a secondary device. Believe me I want each release to be working too, but I moved to the slow ring and have been much happier than the fast. Remember also that everyone has busy periods too in real life and that can impact your tolerance for issues on your phone.

MorgothPT

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site
Not adding much but, I've also done OP's procedure and sometimes my wifi simple turns ON and... cannot encrypt my 930, button simply toggles off the moment I try toggle on. Will stay with fast ring though... For now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre