Lumia 930: problem with MS Camera on w10m

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey, guys. A friend of mine has this phone. Lately he has this issue that, when he starts Microsoft Camera, and try to take a shot by the hardware camera button, the phone restarts, and even after that the picture is nowhere to be found although I makes the sound of making a photo.

Do you also have this issue? I'm curious if this is some issue which regards Camera version, or an issue which regards the OS build itself. The phone is on production channel.

Thanks in advance.

And please, if you haven't noticed the issue, could you please try what I have described above and tell if you have this problem.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Is he on a insider build?

If not, did he do a hard reset recently?

Sadly, I have found that fixes most issues following a update as that used to happen on my L930 frequently and still does time to time albeit very, very rarely.

I admit it is rather cumbersome, especially if you have two dozen email accounts and they all have been set up with two factor authentication.... :grincry:

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
No, he's on production, not on insider, and he hasn't done a hard reset recently. Though I assume he doesn't want to do it unless he would know this would solve the issue. Truth is a hard reset can also bring up issues such as calendar live tile not updating automatically. So for that matter it would be perfect if he reinstalled the software with WDRT, but that's a lot of work for wp8.1 phone.

You say this did happen to you, and it still happens but rarely. Did you do a hard reset, and it happens rarely now after that?

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No, he's on production, not on insider, and he hasn't done a hard reset recently. Though I assume he doesn't want to do it unless he would know this would solve the issue. Truth is a hard reset can also bring up issues such as calendar live tile not updating automatically. So for that matter it would be perfect if he reinstalled the software with WDRT, but that's a lot of work for wp8.1 phone.

You say this did happen to you, and it still happens but rarely. Did you do a hard reset, and it happens rarely now after that?

Yes, after every hard reset I don't restore the phone as for me I found I always ran into odd issues.

However others reported it has worked for them without issues so your friend's mileage will vary.

It may or may not fix the issue, also has he updated the camera app?

True, it is alot of work to go through WDRT but it may help resolve the situation.

It's situations like this where a proper sync client with robust back up features would have mitigated any doubts whether to reset the device or not.

Last edited:

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I believe that right now it is the smartest for him to simply wait for new Windows Camera update. At least for a while, because I can tell that he will have the issue with the calendar tile - without any doubt. Unless somebody would day that a hard reset helped him. I mean, if it turns out that this us because of Windows Camera version, then it would be a pity to do a hard reset because of those new problems, and the WDRT thing would turn out to have been a waste of time.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I believe that right now it is the smartest for him to simply wait for new Windows Camera update. At least for a while, because I can tell that he will have the issue with the calendar tile - without any doubt. Unless somebody would day that a hard reset helped him. I mean, if it turns out that this us because of Windows Camera version, then it would be a pity to do a hard reset because of those new problems, and the WDRT thing would turn out to have been a waste of time.

True, that would be his best option presuming he doesn't use the camera often and that it doesn't occur in the frequency it sounded like.

Does he still have Lumia Camera?

If he does indeed have Lumia Camera, does the issue affect this as well?

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Maybe I didn't describe his issue well. In his case he can use Windows Camera with no issues unless he tries to take a shot with the hardware button. Otherwise it's fine, and it's also fine on other apps. I assume it would be fine in Lumia Camera too, but he doesn't have it.

If he used hardware button, tho phone would restart each time (or perhaps almost each time), and when he doesn't use that button but the one on the screen, then he has no issue. (It does happen frequently, but only when he uses the hardware camera button.)

Thank you for helping. :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I didn't describe his issue well. In his case he can use Windows Camera with no issues unless he tries to take a shot with the hardware button. Otherwise it's fine, and it's also fine on other apps. I assume it would be fine in Lumia Camera too, but he doesn't have it.

If he used hardware button, tho phone would restart each time (or perhaps almost each time), and when he doesn't use that button but the one on the screen, then he has no issue. (It does happen frequently, but only when he uses the hardware camera button.)

Thank you for helping. :)

Your most welcome :smile:

Ah, I see makes sense now.

Hmm, ask him try changing the camera app that launches with the camera button via the settings app and also does it occur when the phone is locked?

Or it doesn't matter if it's locked or not?

If it only occurs when locked, ask him to try removing the PIN and then launching the camera from stand by.

For me the crashes would occur when I was switching back and forth from apps really quickly and whilst it was doing that - launching the camera using the hardware button or had really quickly woken up the device and launched the camera using the hardware button.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
He has this bug in following situations: When the phone was locked and when it was not, and when he starts the camera with the hardware button and when he starts the camera from app list or start screen. So how he started the app, or whether the phone was locked or not, doesn't matter.

He doesn't use a PIN on his phone.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Lumia Icon (sibling to the 930) on 10m slow ring and cannot get the camera to crash when taking a picture with the shutter button. I use the shutter button 95% of the time too. Sorry this may not help troubleshoot, but there is at least hope that it's not happening everywhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa