07-06-2015 10:48 AM
493 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    ^ yes and no. While all phones will be cheaper, most people are familiar with Android and iOS. They are not as familiar with WP. People don't want to gamble $199 to try something new, they will however be more willing to try something new if it's $49 or even free on contract!
    01-27-2014 07:51 AM
    As of tomorrow Verizon will start offering aggressive new pricing on all its devices including the Lumia 929 when it comes out (Upgrade and Retail). Also if you are upgrading with unlimited DATA, Verizon will offer 6GB of data instead of 2GB for $30 bucks (you have to ask for it as it is not advertised).
    I would actually consider giving up my unlimited data for 6gb of data for $30. I've NEVER used anywhere near that much and that price is the same as what I pay now. Plus that would allow me to tether (right?) which would be useful on occasion. If there is anything that would get me off of unlimited data it would be something like that. A $99 contract price would be even more tempting.

OR I could use the device payment plan for a $449 Icon (hopefully), pay a higher monthly amount for a year (+$40/m), keep unlimited data but lose tethering.

Oh decisions ...
    01-27-2014 12:17 PM
    My understanding was that the monthly fees we pay are inflated to help cover the cost of selling subsidized phones. That's one of the reasons why monthly plans like Edge are a doubly bad deal - you pay more overall for the phone, and you continue to pay the monthly fees that assume you've bought a subsidized phone.

If Verizon gets rid of subsidized phones, does that mean the cost of monthly plans will go down? Or, more likely, they stay the same and now they are making more because of they keep the subsidized mark-up in place?
    01-27-2014 05:48 PM
    My understanding was that the monthly fees we pay are inflated to help cover the cost of selling subsidized phones. That's one of the reasons why monthly plans like Edge are a doubly bad deal - you pay more overall for the phone, and you continue to pay the monthly fees that assume you've bought a subsidized phone.

If Verizon gets rid of subsidized phones, does that mean the cost of monthly plans will go down? Or, more likely, they stay the same and now they are making more because of they keep the subsidized mark-up in place?
    Even worse, currently, after your contract is up (on any plan) and your phone is obviously paid up, your monthly fees never go down if you don't get a new phone, even though your phone is paid off. That's my biggest gripe. My contract ended in October, but I'm still paying inflated bills monthly at $85 per month. I'm basically giving Verizon extra money because they said so. Hooray American cell network industry! :(

My guess, if Verizon stops subsidizing phones, they won't lower the monthly cost much, if at all, because we're already desensitized to outrageous monthly bills and knows they can get away with charging more for the sake of making higher profits. They already do it, minus the full price on phones, of course.
    maevinj and Tjarren like this.
    01-27-2014 06:10 PM
    Even worse, currently, after your contract is up (on any plan) and your phone is obviously paid up, your monthly fees never go down if you don't get a new phone, even though your phone is paid off. That's my biggest gripe. My contract ended in October, but I'm still paying inflated bills monthly at $85 per month. I'm basically giving Verizon extra money because they said so. Hooray American cell network industry! :(

My guess, if Verizon stops subsidizing phones, they won't lower the monthly cost much, if at all, because we're already desensitized to outrageous monthly bills and knows they can get away with charging more for the sake of making higher profits. They already do it, minus the full price on phones, of course.
    so once again its a marketing strategy???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-27-2014 07:30 PM
    so once again its a marketing strategy???

Well, their goal is always to make more money this year than they did the year before. I understand that as a business owner. So marketing will heavily influence everything they do. But I also think there's an ethical boundary. And I think T-Mobile is making the consumer more aware of that by blatantly pointing out what the strategy of Verizon, AT&T, and everyone else has been for a very long time.

But I'm not here to predict the future. A lot could happen this year. But if history is any indicator, Verizon won't be so quick to lower monthly bill costs. They will most likely find a way to spin a rip-off into sounding like it's a steal. Like Verizon Edge, AT&T Next, etc. currently do. You think you're getting a deal, but you aren't.

I think once the consumers become more aware of this, and they begin to choose their carrier with their wallets (assuming other smaller networks gain some ground, and a voice), only then will Verizon backtrack on their evil ways to create insane margins.

But don't quote me on that.
    01-27-2014 07:40 PM
    Well, their goal is always to make more money this year than they did the year before. I understand that as a business owner. So marketing will heavily influence everything they do. But I also think there's an ethical boundary. And I think T-Mobile is making the consumer more aware of that by blatantly pointing out what the strategy of Verizon, AT&T, and everyone else has been for a very long time.

But I'm not here to predict the future. A lot could happen this year. But if history is any indicator, Verizon won't be so quick to lower monthly bill costs. They will most likely find a way to spin a rip-off into sounding like it's a steal. Like Verizon Edge, AT&T Next, etc. currently do. You think you're getting a deal, but you aren't.

I think once the consumers become more aware of this, and they begin to choose their carrier with their wallets (assuming other smaller networks gain some ground, and a voice), only then will Verizon backtrack on their evil ways to create insane margins.

What you gonna do about it?
    Zippier likes this.
    01-28-2014 08:38 AM
    What you gonna do about it?
    Haha, I meant don't go around telling people that something I posted on an Internet forum should be regarded as useful information. I'm just throwing out my opinions to see if anything sticks. I didn't mean directly quote me on the forum. Although after I posted that, I realized someone probably would. Haha.
    01-28-2014 11:30 AM

Boom. Did it again.

Haha, I meant don't go around telling people that something I posted on an Internet forum should be regarded as useful information. I'm just throwing out my opinions to see if anything sticks. I didn't mean directly quote me on the forum. Although after I posted that, I realized someone probably would. Haha.
    What now?!
    01-28-2014 11:36 AM
    while Verizon is definitely trying to make more money than the year before, I think this whole stunt is Verizon doing everything they can to get everybody to renew their contract and hop off their unlimited plan!
    01-28-2014 11:39 AM
    while Verizon is definitely trying to make more money than the year before, I think this whole stunt is Verizon doing everything they can to get everybody to renew their contract and hop off their unlimited plan!
    I fail to see how it would make anyone want to leave the unlimited plan....maybe jump carriers.....
    01-28-2014 01:26 PM
    I fail to see how it would make anyone want to leave the unlimited plan....maybe jump carriers.....
    Plus, people here are obsessed with Verizon making them leave their unlimited plan.
    Hey, Berty, go find your contract and read the fine print - Verizon can make changes to your plan at any time. If they really want you off unlimited, they'll take you off unlimited. Especially, once the two years have gone by, there's nothing stopping them other than it ******* customers off, much like delaying phones does.
    01-28-2014 02:10 PM
    That sounds like the rumored specs of the alleged 1820. Maybe there is some truth to the leak of the 1820.

quad core
    2k display
    3400mAH battery
    high end MP lytro-camera with Xenon flash
    32GB of internal memory with SD slot
    I would give up my left Gonad for this device :)
    Scorpio5x0 likes this.
    01-28-2014 03:33 PM
    Plus, people here are obsessed with Verizon making them leave their unlimited plan.
    Hey, Berty, go find your contract and read the fine print - Verizon can make changes to your plan at any time. If they really want you off unlimited, they'll take you off unlimited. Especially, once the two years have gone by, there's nothing stopping them other than it ******* customers off, much like delaying phones does.
    The problem is that they are the only carrier that is treating their long tenured customers like this. Their biggest competitor, AT&T, will let you keep your unlimited plan even if you sign up for a new contract and get a subsidized phone. And there president said he hates the plans, but he sees the value in taking care of your loyal customers. It really doesn't make sense why Verizon doesn't view it's loyal customers the same way. Sure, it's in the contract that they could change your plan at any time, but that doesn't mean that they should. Nothing wrong with people having a big problem with that.
    01-28-2014 10:40 PM
    Yes I do know they can't force you off of it at any time, but they will not do that. They want you to do it on their own. They don't want to be THAT carrier that forces you to change your contract, that's how customers get mad and leave altogether.
    01-29-2014 09:07 AM
    The problem is that they are the only carrier that is treating their long tenured customers like this. Their biggest competitor, AT&T, will let you keep your unlimited plan even if you sign up for a new contract and get a subsidized phone. And there president said he hates the plans, but he sees the value in taking care of your loyal customers. It really doesn't make sense why Verizon doesn't view it's loyal customers the same way. Sure, it's in the contract that they could change your plan at any time, but that doesn't mean that they should. Nothing wrong with people having a big problem with that.
    Verizon has always had the worst plans at the highest price.
    It's nothing new.

Best service, best coverage, treats its customers like crap because it knows a huge chunk of those that leave come back in 2 years because they couldn't get service in their kitchen.
    01-29-2014 01:12 PM
    Verizon has always had the worst plans at the highest price.
    It's nothing new.

Best service, best coverage, treats its customers like crap because it knows a huge chunk of those that leave come back in 2 years because they couldn't get service in their kitchen.
    Not to mention their customer service is also a whole lot better than TMO, ATT, Sprint.
    01-29-2014 01:42 PM
    Not to mention their customer service is also a whole lot better than TMO, ATT, Sprint.
    Hang on a sec... their customer service sucks but is still better than everyone else.... what? 😱

01-29-2014 05:03 PM
    Alright, Verizon. I'm feeling this today. Let's do it!
    Zippier and mrlugo88 like this.
    01-30-2014 08:32 AM
    The WP launching in May appears to be a Samsung Device . Sorry boys if you were waiting on a Nokia/Microsoft device
    01-30-2014 09:03 AM
    I like Nokia/Microsoft but I may hold off on the Icon just to see what the Samsung is.
    01-30-2014 09:47 AM
    The WP launching in May appears to be a Samsung Device . Sorry boys if you were waiting on a Nokia/Microsoft device
    thanks!
    any word on the Icon release?
    01-30-2014 10:26 AM
    I hope, and I am very weary about this, that Verizon has seen Nokia's plans for their next devices (post 929) and Verizon told them to scrap the 929 and just be ready in the spring to launch the big daddy of all Windows Phones (1820). I know that doesn't sound promising, but if the 929 comes out you can bet your sweet *** that we are not seeing another flagship windows phone on Verizon until Fall 2014.
    01-30-2014 10:33 AM
    I hope, and I am very weary about this, that Verizon has seen Nokia's plans for their next devices (post 929) and Verizon told them to scrap the 929 and just be ready in the spring to launch the big daddy of all Windows Phones (1820). I know that doesn't sound promising, but if the 929 comes out you can bet your sweet *** that we are not seeing another flagship windows phone on Verizon until Fall 2014.
    Oye... One rumor at a time please... Keep 1820 on the sidelines, it doesn't exist.
    01-30-2014 10:51 AM
    Oye... One rumor at a time please... Keep 1820 on the sidelines, it doesn't exist.
    I'm not saying the 1820 specifically, but I think we all know that Nokia has a Spring flagship or two in the pipes. Nokia clearly had the 928 ready for Fall release and in combination with Microsoft and Verizon it has been pushed back further and further.
    01-30-2014 10:54 AM
493 ... 910111213 ...