ICON Roll Call

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't get why they would do such an incremental release. Marginally bigger than the 928 (6" would be a more noticeable leap) and the 16mp version is a far cry from the 1020.

Well, I do know why, Verizon hates us. :p

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why they would do such an incremental release. Marginally bigger than the 928 (6" would be a more noticeable leap) and the 16mp version is a far cry from the 1020.

Well, I do know why, Verizon hates us. :p

If it is quadcore, with a snapdragon 800, 1080p, with a larger battery, & improved camera technology, it's not an incremental upgrade. It's a huge step above the current 92x devices.

I much prefer this modest display increase to the half a foot device that's going to be out on At&t.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
If it is quadcore, with a snapdragon 800, 1080p, with a larger battery, & improved camera technology, it's not an incremental upgrade. It's a huge step above the current 92x devices.

I much prefer this modest display increase to the half a foot device that's going to be out on At&t.

Agreed. I was kind of wanting to get the 1520, but was on the fence about the size. If everything we're hearing is true about the 929, then it will be perfect!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site

Eh, I would to have see what tangible benefits it gives. 1080p on a screen this small to me isn't going to make a difference to me. Same with more cores...it's only actively working on one app at a time. Camera will be better, but complete change in the way you view things like the 1020? Bigger battery will be taxed driving all that stuff. At least a 6" monster would be easier on my eyes.

So like I said...incremental (at least in my view, BUT remember I already have a 928! -- I would need something offering a HUGE change to make a difference).

ryan.kruger

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I need the specs of the (rumored) 1520 to jump into this device. Already have my upgrade path figured out (co-worker wants my 928) but if it doesn't have the 2 GB RAM, SD800 processor... So on.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Eh, I would to have see what tangible benefits it gives. 1080p on a screen this small to me isn't going to make a difference to me. Same with more cores...it's only actively working on one app at a time. Camera will be better, but complete change in the way you view things like the 1020? Bigger battery will be taxed driving all that stuff. At least a 6" monster would be easier on my eyes.

So like I said...incremental (at least in my view, BUT remember I already have a 928! -- I would need something offering a HUGE change to make a difference).

Well, I think the screen is going to be bigger than you think. The device itself will be bigger than the 928, and there's significantly less bezel on the top and bottom of the 929, and more screen instead. So I think the 1080p is noticeable. But I can see why you're not overly excited about the device coming from the 928... I'm coming from an HTC Trophy that I've had and loved since launch day on Verizon ;)

Only if it comes in red

I think it will, along with a 928 in red. That's why that shell was leaked a few weeks ago. But I wouldn't complain if it didn't if it meant they also gave a matte white option.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I came from the Trophy too. Your powers of restraint are remarkable :D

I am really pleased with the 928, its basically replaced our P&S for me. Actually takes worthwhile photos.

rplyons

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting this as soon as its available. I was planning on getting the 1520, but with this being a little smaller it is going to be perfect.
I've gotta be honest, if NOKIA announce on October 22nd a UK Version of the 929 then I'd definitely get that over the 1520, a 5" 1080p display seems more sensible than a 6" version - but if they don't, then it's the 1520 all the way!

Richard
:)

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting this as soon as its available. I was planning on getting the 1520, but with this being a little smaller it is going to be perfect.

Also where's tcman. Been? I'm sure he could shed some light on the subject

I think end of July I mentioned that Verizon is working on 3 new devices and that they will be available on late October early November. 929 will have under 5.1" display white black and (red depending on god knows what). On contract 149.99 and 499.99 retail however it's up to the big guys and pricing maybe be different but most likely will stay the same. Why 20mp and 5" display? To keep the cost down. Majority of WP users are first time smartphone users or bought the device due to its high performance and low cost. So a 40mp 6" would have increased the cost. Plus a 6" display is definitely factor for people not to buy it.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I think end of July I mentioned that Verizon is working on 3 new devices and that they will be available on late October early November. 929 will have under 5.1" display white black and (red depending on god knows what). On contract 149.99 and 499.99 retail however it's up to the big guys and pricing maybe be different but most likely will stay the same. Why 20mp and 5" display? To keep the cost down. Majority of WP users are first time smartphone users or bought the device due to its high performance and low cost. So a 40mp 6" would have increased the cost. Plus a 6" display is definitely factor for people not to buy it.

You said, 3 devices, is there a HTC or Samsung model in that "3' that you know of ?

As for the 929 for me, I am waiting on final specs before I decide. MicroSD ? FM radio ? 64gb option ?

The 928 is fine for now and also waiting to see if HTC releases a high end WP device for Verzion....

But, if a high end device came out for Verizon with the MicroSD option and FM radio among all the other features of a high end phone, I might just jump at it..

tcman88

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You said, 3 devices, is there a HTC or Samsung model in that "3' that you know of ?

As for the 929 for me, I am waiting on final specs before I decide. MicroSD ? FM radio ? 64gb option ?

The 928 is fine for now and also waiting to see if HTC releases a high end WP device for Verzion....

But, if a high end device came out for Verizon with the MicroSD option and FM radio among all the other features of a high end phone, I might just jump at it..

I'm not sure what the third device is but it's definitely another Nokia and it will not be part of this launch. Nokia's tablet and 929 are the other two devices.
I haven't seen the phone or the official spec but I think 929 it's a 32gb no micro SD no fm radio very much like the 928.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what the third device is but it's definitely another Nokia and it will not be part of this launch. Nokia's tablet and 929 are the other two devices.
I haven't seen the phone or the official spec but I think 929 it's a 32gb no micro SD no fm radio very much like the 928.

Ok, cool....more disapointment from Nokia for me...I still wonder why Verizon didn't want the FM radio on their "high" end 928.... I'm sure it's there but, Verizon disabled it, just like they did on the Touch Pro 2....

If they HTC 8X had 32gb, I would of never switched...

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Seeing as how my Lumia 928 fell out of my pocket as I was riding down the interstate on my motorcycle (I imagined that my phone took out a few cars before it finally died in traffic:winktongue:) this phone is well timed. I will most likely be looking at this phone when it comes out while I suffer along with my little Trophy.

I saw someone mention in the WPCentral news article that a comparable phone (in dimensions) to this would be the Xperia Z1? Does anyone else know of something else on the market that I could go to my local Best Buy and put in my hand to see if I would like a phone of this size?

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Ugh. Just give me a top-flight, fully loaded phone, Verizon. I want a xenon flash. I want FM. I want a micro-SD slot. I want Qi integrated. I want the full 41 mp of love on a processor that can handle it. I want your boring corporate fingerprints off it. Tell Nokia to give you their best as they sign off. *grumble grumble*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss