ICON Roll Call

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
What's the word on tomorrow?

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor is true, as Verizon is very business-oriented and has a lot of business customers, and Microsoft is a well known brand in the business world with nearly all computers powered by Windows for decades (not so much these days, but still absolutely huge market share), and Office being such a vital part of business, as well as Azure in the cloud, and so many other services, it makes sense that Verizon would be more interested in working with Microsoft than Nokia, especially after the purchase of their devices business and Microsoft is an American company, so I wouldn't be surprised if the rumor is true.

However, until it's abundantly clear, we obviously can't trust it completely.

I was rather angry before about the 929 delays because I really wanted a great camera for my upcoming vacation, but if the delay is only until January or February, I think I can last a little longer. It would certainly be worth the wait. I'm learning how to be patient :)

Daniel said on his post about the 929 being called the Lumia Icon that there may be more info coming on Thursday.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
The article is very accurate. No new WP devices until Microsoft appoints its new CEO. Nokia 2050 was the last ever Nokia device for Verizon

Does that mean production/creating new phones are also completely on hold until the new CEO is announced? Or are they still designing, building, etc. phones, just Verizon won't take any until the CEO announcement becomes official?

I guess the reason I'm asking is because it would be cool to have a new device announced on the heels of the CEO announcement, rather than waiting for many months after the CEO announcement to hear about a phone.

It's probably too much to ask for, but figured I'd throw that out there in case you may have some clarified info.

All that being said, I'm pretty excited to see what Microsoft does with Nokia. I love the build of the Surface tablets, so if the combo of Nokia's design and Microsoft's designs produce anything, there's no way it will be ugly! But I have a feeling the 929 is too far along to be modified? Unless the only change is the Nokia logo is now Microsoft? Maybe I'm asking too many questions there aren't clear answers for? And I'm possibly rambling too much about something I should be patient for?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The article is very accurate. No new WP devices until Microsoft appoints its new CEO. Nokia 2050 was the last ever Nokia device for Verizon

Uhg, it seems your right...

Can someone do me a favor and go to IMEI. Type in the IMEI number found in the photo of the NL929 found below:
Unannounced-Nokia-Lumia-929-purchased-in-Mexico.png

I'm not getting anything now. Where as before I was getting this:

wp_ss_20131203_0002.png

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I honestly don't understand why they couldn't just release the 929 now and then have a device released once the Nokia/MS merger is complete (say, mid-2014). Realistically, it's going to take a very long time for the companies to merge fully, so this will only hurt the Windows Phone brand in the long run. People, rightly or wrongly, have an expectation these days that new phones should come out often. Perception is pretty huge, and right now Windows Phone devices (on Verizon) appear pretty outdated compared to their Android competition. Talk about an impossible task for the Windows Phone OS to be successful...not only does it have way less marketshare/mindshare to begin with, but you're going on 6-7 months of no high end/eye-catching devices.

I wish someone would just come out and say "windows phones delayed until mid-2014" so I can just go buy a freaking 928. This Droid 4 and its cracked screen are really wearing on me.

Last edited:

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I wish someone would just come out and say: windows phones delayed until mid-2014 so I can just go buy a freaking 928. This Droid 4 and it's cracked screen are really wearing on me.

I agree. I almost broke down and bought a couple 928s for my wife and I from eBay this past week but told myself to be patient. If they don't come out with some good offerings I'm thinking about moving our 3 personal lines to AT&T just because of the better phone selection. In our area, Verizon has much better service than AT&T which has kept us with them. However, I use AT&T for my business line and AT&T recently hooked me up with a Microcell for my home and I get great coverage now. I would like to stay with Verizon, but their WP phone selection is subpar.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
My concern is how will I really know if it fits the phone? If you look at the Wireless Ground videos on YouTube showing off this case, there is no real phone in the case. It's just a piece of paper cut out and put in the case, and not the real phone. The guy even says they don't have the phone yet, nobody does. I guess for $15 with shipping it's not a big risk, but still....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
My concern is how will I really know if it fits the phone? If you look at the Wireless Ground videos on YouTube showing off this case, there is no real phone in the case. It's just a piece of paper cut out and put in the case, and not the real phone. The guy even says they don't have the phone yet, nobody does. I guess for $15 with shipping it's not a big risk, but still....

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not buying any accessories until the actual device is out. I was more just pointing out how silly this all is.

But I have heard that Otterbox will be releasing a case for it as well. So if the phone comes out, i'll be buying an Otterbox so I can use it when I know I'm going to be active.

rbzane

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Enjoyed the Verizon Nokia Lumia ads over the holiday... Buy this tablet, get the 928 for free! Sounds like Verizon is getting rid of their 928 stock. I wonder why? Could it be that they intend to release a new version?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Enjoyed the Verizon Nokia Lumia ads over the holiday... Buy this tablet, get the 928 for free! Sounds like Verizon is getting rid of their 928 stock. I wonder why? Could it be that they intend to release a new version?

Yeah... And they're doing a pretty **** poor job unloading stock, too. The deal is actually: Buy a new NL2520 with a two year contract, get a free NL928, with a two year contract!

JDThird

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I switched from my tablet PC's to a mac in 2009, and an iPhone from a windows phone at that time as well. Mavericks and IOS 7 just irritated me and I already dumped the mac for a new tablet PC, and in September was going to change to a Windows phone as well. I had my account rep (business so I have 10 phones on our business account) send me a 928 to test for a few weeks, and really liked it. Almost pulled the trigger until I found out about the 929. Then I decided to wait. Rumored October release passed, rumored November release passed, rumored December release passed. Even my account rep hasn't heard a single thing about the 929. I even nagged Verizon's facebook page and got a couple replies from them about my comment how irritating it is that for techies like myself to not be able to get any kind of announcement much ahead of time for devices, and this is why some of their customers jump ship, to get a new generation phone elsewhere because Verizon won't give us any reason to keep waiting to see if they'll really release something or not. If it weren't for the better coverage that my employees get with Verizon at our client sites, I'd not hesitate to jump ship.

I hate that I'm still stuck on my iPhone 5 more than 3 months after I decided to drop it, simply because I'm hoping these rumors pan out for the 929 / Icon / whatever it ends up being called. It would just be nice if they'd actually either admit that it's coming, even without any release date, or deny that they will be getting it so I could move on one way or another.

Back in October I bought the wireless charging puck for it, and now my new car even has a built in wireless charger, so I'm more than ready. Just getting really impatient being stuck with my iPhone still... If there's no announcement in the next few weeks, I'll just upgrade one of my guys from an older iPhone 4s or something to a 928, then swap numbers with them and give them my iPhone 5, and sit tight then on THAT until I can get a newer gen Windows phone...

You'd think that they'd WANT to make sure people knew for sure this was coming, but I guess that would cut into their sales of the 928 and the other HUGE choice of WP8 (/end sarcasm) they have in the meantime...

Just seems there's not a lot of love for Windows Phone at Verizon... Everything is about the iPhone for them, and even looking at their Windows Phone options from the main page, they have hard links under the Smart Phones link to take you directly to their iPhones, but no hard links to Windows phones. You still have to just go to the Smart Phones section first and only then can you narrow down by OS...

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
JDThird, what kind of replies did Verizon give you? I'm curious to know if they made sense, sounded truthful, sounded clueless, or if they just gave plain BS.

JDThird

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
They sounded earnest - it was the same people replying to others problems or complaints on the page. But it was the normal stuff about pointing me to their "coming soon" page that has nothing about new phones, and that they value customers who love technology and such. So it's kind of a mix, useless bull**** answers that weren't really answers but propaganda, and a total lack of knowledge about what's coming. At least my corporate rep is honest about it and comes right out and simply says, "They've told us nothing about any upcoming Nokia phones."

Donald Burr

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't think there is any doubt that the 929/Icon will be coming to Verizon in 2014 the only question is when. The best guesses that I have seen project the release in February to coincide with one of the big convention/shows. I have also read that the most recent delay is caused by the MS acquisition of Nokia which should be finalized in the 1st quarter 2014. I an anxious to see it in real-life as I think I would pay the upgrade from the 928. I have discovered that the display on the 928 is dull and very off-white when compared to the Apple 5s and a white balance card. I am hoping that the newer display on the 929 will be a crisper brighter white. (the dull white background affects everything, from reading email, kindle to pictures and movies) Yes the display is set all the way to cool.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So far the 929 seems to be doing the same thing that the 928 did...take forever to get released. Many of the same arguments/issues/delays were involved with that phone as well. It finally came out, though. So I expect it to be here...one day. Of course, I was also waiting for a red 928 for a couple of months before giving up on it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss