02-14-2014 12:01 PM
292 ... 9101112
tools
    How come when I browse Accessories on the verizonwireless.com website, I don't see anything for the Icon/929?
    Also, if you're receiving these accessories, are we allowed to ask about them and buy them at the store, or you guys still have to deny that nothing exists yet? Reason I'm asking is because I plan to check out one of the corporate stores tomorrow, and I plan to ask myself. Thanks for any of the questions you can answer.....
    Having an item listed publicly on a website is a little different than receiving inventory and having it in the stock room. Unless broadway meant that he has the accessories up for sale? But the way I read his post, it seems like he received the shipment, but they aren't up for sale yet, which is why you can't find them on the Verizon website, since the Lumia Icon hasn't been announced yet.

But I could be wrong. That was just my interpretation.
    pci2k likes this.
    01-10-2014 09:34 PM
    The website won't show accessories until the device is released. Typically we launch a device within two weeks of receiving accessories. I will check my in-transit tomorrow and see if we have any devices schedule to arrive next week. I have pictures of the accessories but I can't figure out how to post them to this forum
    pci2k, Indistinguishable and Kieta like this.
    01-10-2014 11:21 PM
    In the text editor, there's a picture icon (next to video icon). Click it, upload photo from your computer or via URL if it's hosted elsewhere.
    01-11-2014 12:30 AM
    I believe broadwaylos's story. Too bad some of these store reps are clueless though. I walked into the Verizon store today, and asked a rep about 929/Icon accessories coming in. The guy looked at me with a clueless puzzled look on his face! So I walked out.

I then went to the Microsoft store, and asked an employee there. He said the accessories were shipped to the store a couple of days ago, but they couldn't sell them yet, and didn't elaborate what they were. He didn't know when the phone would be released, and said they haven't gotten any word on employee training yet either, since they typically get training for every phone they sell.

One thing I did ask the Microsoft store rep about was the insurance plan I heard about. If you buy a phone at the Microsoft store, you can get warranty protection for $99 for 2 years. You just pay a $50 deductible if you have to use it. You'll get a brand new phone in minutes, and not have a crappy refurb shipped to you like Verizon pulls.

So here's my opinion on the release date, so take it with a grain of salt, as I'm taking a very educated guess. The phone showed up on Verizon's test site Wed 1/8. Accessories were supposedly shipped the very next day on Thurs 1/9. Per broadwaylos, if phones typically launch 2 weeks after accessories are shipped, and since Verizon launches phones on Thursdays, I predict a Thursday 1/23/14 launch. If that really does happen, you heard it here first!
    01-12-2014 01:28 AM
    One thing I did ask the Microsoft store rep about was the insurance plan I heard about. If you buy a phone at the Microsoft store, you can get warranty protection for $99 for 2 years. You just pay a $50 deductible if you have to use it. You'll get a brand new phone in minutes, and not have a crappy refurb shipped to you like Verizon pulls.
    It's a $50 deductible, I believe, if the phone was lost or damaged.
    I've replaced mine under this plan numerous times and never had to pay a dime. The first time they were confused, and it took about 1.5 hours because they thought it needed to be reregistered with my provider. Every other time I walked in, showed them the issue, and 10 minutes later was walking out with a new phone.
    01-12-2014 02:52 AM
    I believe broadwaylos's story. Too bad some of these store reps are clueless though. I walked into the Verizon store today, and asked a rep about 929/Icon accessories coming in. The guy looked at me with a clueless puzzled look on his face! So I walked out.

I then went to the Microsoft store, and asked an employee there. He said the accessories were shipped to the store a couple of days ago, but they couldn't sell them yet, and didn't elaborate what they were. He didn't know when the phone would be released, and said they haven't gotten any word on employee training yet either, since they typically get training for every phone they sell.

So here's my opinion on the release date, so take it with a grain of salt, as I'm taking a very educated guess. The phone showed up on Verizon's test site Wed 1/8. Accessories were supposedly shipped the very next day on Thurs 1/9. Per broadwaylos, if phones typically launch 2 weeks after accessories are shipped, and since Verizon launches phones on Thursdays, I predict a Thursday 1/23/14 launch. If that really does happen, you heard it here first!
    This is plausible... Remember also that Rubino mentioned something earlier about Microsoft Stores getting the device in stock ahead of Verizon Corporate stores. Meaning we could still see it on 1/16/2014.
    pci2k and Zippier like this.
    01-12-2014 09:49 AM
    I hope both you and Daniel are right. I'm planning on buying from the Microsoft store myself, as my current phone is still in contract, and I want to buy the insurance the store provides.
    Last edited by pci2k; 01-12-2014 at 11:26 AM.
    01-12-2014 10:57 AM
    Regarding the Microsoft Store insurance plan, can anyone tell me if it applies only to the specific phone you purchase? Or is it tied to your wireless account overall? For instance if I bought a new device at the Microsoft store with their insurance (let's say the Icon), and then 6 months later I set aside the Icon and bought a new device as a replacement. Would the insurance roll over to the new device or would it be tied specifically to the Icon?

I ask as it would surely save me money over the long run compared to the $8/month I currently pay for Verizon's insurance, though only if I had the phone for a little longer than a year. Lately I've been upgrading every 6-12 months, so I'm trying to decide if it would be worth it to purchase my next device from the Microsoft store.
    aximtreo and pci2k like this.
    01-12-2014 12:02 PM
    @dmmortal, I'd call the Microsoft store and see what their policy is. My gut tells me it's the device you buy, and your wireless plan doesn't come into play. If you do call, post here what they tell you.
    01-12-2014 01:28 PM
    Ok here's a quick update. I just visited another VZW corporate store (NYC Metro Area). I asked the clerk if he had any Icon accessories. He came back with 5 different cases, 2 VZW branded silicone gel cases (purple and black), 2 Incipio feather cases (blue and black), and a holster/clip combo case. He was willing to sell any of them to me, but I didn't buy any. I've already got 2.
    He also told me the actual phones hadn't yet arrived, and he didn't know when they would be in .
    01-13-2014 10:50 AM
    Ok here's a quick update. I just visited another VZW corporate store (NYC Metro Area). I asked the clerk if he had any Icon accessories. He came back with 5 different cases, 2 VZW branded silicone gel cases (purple and black), 2 Incipio feather cases (blue and black), and a holster/clip combo case. He was willing to sell any of them to me, but I didn't buy any. I've already got 2.
    He also told me the actual phones hadn't yet arrived, and he didn't know when they would be in .
    No Otterbox cases seen yet? I hope they're available at launch.
    01-13-2014 10:59 AM
    He didn't say anything about Otterbox. He brought out all the cases he had at the time. I may email Otterbox myself.
    On a similar note, I already emailed Trident. The Trident rep responded that a Cyclops case is supposed to be available by the end of this month, and to keep checking their tridentcases.com website.
    01-13-2014 11:04 AM
    On the insurance from the Microsoft Store, here's my experience:
    1. a week and a half after my first 928, I had a problem (don't remember what), took the phone in and they handed me a new one.
    2. While walking out to the car with that phone, I realized that the new one was stuck in a loop - couldn't even sign into my MS Account. Walked back in and they handed me a new phone.
    3. A few weeks later, had another problem (don't remember what), walked in, they handed me a new phone.
    4. Broke the screen. Walked in, handed them $50, and they handed me a new phone.
    5. Got tired of the "phantom tap" problem - screen acting like there was a ghost reaching over my shoulder and tapping the screen while I was looking at it. Went to the store expecting the same experience as prior episodes. Was told that they could ship it to Nokia and I'd be out my phone for a couple weeks, or I could pay the $50. I argued the point. If I know how to do one thing, it's argue. Got the manager involved. She saw my Widnows Phone shirt and asked if I was one of their developers. Yes. She told me that the way it works is they can send the phone to Nokia and get it covered by warranty, or pay $50 and get coverage under the MS insurance. I told her that I used to administer extended warranty contracts for a major insurance company, and I'd bet that if they looked at the terms and conditions they'd find that the insurance doesn't cover anything that is covered by the OEM warranty, and this problem would be an OEM issue. She told me that she'd have to research that, but I could be right. I explained to her my past experience, and she said, "Well, I didn't come over here to tell you that you were going to have to pay the $50. We'll go ahead and replace the phone."

While ringing it up, the person helping me got rather snarky... And when I went to grab the box after taking the phone out and putting my SIM into it, he wouldn't give me the box - he said, "It's our box." Ooooookaaaaaaayyyyy... Funny, since initially he put the whole box into a bag, with the phone still in the box, until I took it out to put my SIM in. But whatever... I got the phone replaced.
    01-13-2014 11:37 AM
    On the insurance from the Microsoft Store, here's my experience:
    1. a week and a half after my first 928, I had a problem (don't remember what), took the phone in and they handed me a new one.
    2. While walking out to the car with that phone, I realized that the new one was stuck in a loop - couldn't even sign into my MS Account. Walked back in and they handed me a new phone.
    3. A few weeks later, had another problem (don't remember what), walked in, they handed me a new phone.
    4. Broke the screen. Walked in, handed them $50, and they handed me a new phone.
    5. Got tired of the "phantom tap" problem - screen acting like there was a ghost reaching over my shoulder and tapping the screen while I was looking at it. Went to the store expecting the same experience as prior episodes. Was told that they could ship it to Nokia and I'd be out my phone for a couple weeks, or I could pay the $50. I argued the point. If I know how to do one thing, it's argue. Got the manager involved. She saw my Widnows Phone shirt and asked if I was one of their developers. Yes. She told me that the way it works is they can send the phone to Nokia and get it covered by warranty, or pay $50 and get coverage under the MS insurance. I told her that I used to administer extended warranty contracts for a major insurance company, and I'd bet that if they looked at the terms and conditions they'd find that the insurance doesn't cover anything that is covered by the OEM warranty, and this problem would be an OEM issue. She told me that she'd have to research that, but I could be right. I explained to her my past experience, and she said, "Well, I didn't come over here to tell you that you were going to have to pay the $50. We'll go ahead and replace the phone."

While ringing it up, the person helping me got rather snarky... And when I went to grab the box after taking the phone out and putting my SIM into it, he wouldn't give me the box - he said, "It's our box." Ooooookaaaaaaayyyyy... Funny, since initially he put the whole box into a bag, with the phone still in the box, until I took it out to put my SIM in. But whatever... I got the phone replaced.
    The fact that you had a different response during the phantom tap episode than prior responses basically says that different stores/managers will handle things differently. So that's another thing to take into consideration when thinking about who you should buy a phone from. Which Microsoft Store location were you shopping with, Hop?
    01-13-2014 11:55 AM
    No Otterbox cases seen yet? I hope they're available at launch.
    So I checked out the Otterbox.com site and there's a Chat feature. I just chatted with a rep. and asked him about case availability for the ICON.
    His response:"I am sorry but we don't have any current plans for that."
    01-13-2014 12:24 PM
    Why would they make an otterbox? I mean if they don't see but 100 people wanting it. Seems like otterbox is more worried about iPhones than any other phone.
    01-13-2014 12:48 PM
    Why would they make an otterbox? I mean if they don't see but 100 people wanting it. Seems like otterbox is more worried about iPhones than any other phone.
    Here ya go:
    @JD JD I have a picture of the deck showing the upcoming release date but I don't want to post it because I like my job But like indistinguishable mention Verizon has a habit of changing release dates. Also I found a picture of a otterbox case for the 929 in infomanager. If still on pace for release we should have a demo early next week. I will jeep everyone posted.
    More accessory companies seem to be getting behind the NL Icon than the NL928.
    01-13-2014 12:55 PM
    Just following up on one of my previous posts on this thread. Looks like Trident came out with a Cyclops case for the 929/ICON:
    Cyclops Case for Nokia Lumia 929
    40 bucks though, so I'm holding off for now.

More and more accessories being released every day!!!

Speaking of new cases, I ordered this case in black, and will review it once I get it, in the thread i created on cases and belt clips:
    http://www.nakedcellphone.com/c-812-lumia-icon-929.aspx
    Only 10 bucks.
    Last edited by pci2k; 01-15-2014 at 12:16 PM.
    01-15-2014 12:03 PM
    The fact that you had a different response during the phantom tap episode than prior responses basically says that different stores/managers will handle things differently. So that's another thing to take into consideration when thinking about who you should buy a phone from. Which Microsoft Store location were you shopping with, Hop?
    Agreed. But it also means to keep pushing until you either get what you want, or it becomes obvious that you will not. I was at the Atlanta (Lenox Square) store.
    01-15-2014 01:06 PM
    Its definitely a start! Thanks for the info!! At least we know its coming out. Now its just a matter of when...... Lets hope the delay is not much longer... xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-20-2014 11:18 AM
    This is my first post and I signed in just so I could share this. I've been reading these threads since Nov. b/c I've needed a new phone and my contract was up at Verizon. I've been a Droid user for a long time but a fan of Microsoft and the direction they are going (Xbox One, Window Tiles, etc.). So I decided to make my Christmas gift the new Lumia 929/Icon. Well, as you know it never came so my kids/wife just got me a gift card and wrapped a picture of a Nokia 928. Like most everyone on this board it's been driving me crazy that the phone hasn't been released b/c my current phone is borderline unusable (i.e. picture that commercial with the guy with Band-Aids on his finger tips).

Here is the reason I'm posting. I gave in and went to get a new phone. I got the Lumia 928 (I love it so far) when Jan. 16th rumor came and went. I figured if the Icon came out in the next 14 days I would just pay the restocking fee and upgrade (i.e. tell Verizon I don't like the 928). When I went into the store the rep that called my name to help me was shocked when I said I wanted a 928. He pretty much talked Windows down and gave me a "Gosh, I don't know if we even have that in stock. Want to look at something else?" I said "no" and told him I'd buy it online if they didn't have it in stock. He went to the back room and found one. As he was ringing me up/changing Sim card/etc. he asked why I don't wait a week b/c the Icon is coming out. I played dumb and asked what it was and why I should wait. He said b/c they have all the accessories in and have had them for almost a week. He said when they get accessories they always get the phone the following week. He then gave me his card (b/c he wants to sell me the new one when it comes in) and told me to call him when I see the new one is out so he can get credit for the sale.

Like all the other rumors that were wrong on here take this for what it is worth. I got my phone this past Friday. So believe me, I REALLY need the Icon to be released soon.

Best.
    01-20-2014 01:36 PM
    Man, I hate it when reps try to talk people out of what they come in and specifically ask for.

I went to Verizon to look at the Note 3 and ask about the 929.

The rep talked down the Lumia and said (and I quote)

"You don't want the Lumia. The Android has dual quads of cores of processors and has more bits of megs"

I just smiled and said that was good to know and moved on.
    01-20-2014 03:04 PM
    Man, I hate it when reps try to talk people out of what they come in and specifically ask for.

I went to Verizon to look at the Note 3 and ask about the 929.

The rep talked down the Lumia and said (and I quote)

"You don't want the Lumia. The Android has dual quads of cores of processors and has more bits of megs"

I just smiled and said that was good to know and moved on.
    Same here!! When I went to inquire about the L929, the reps were like, "Oh you don't want Windows. Windows is terrible in the phone market..." I outta give them a piece of my mind.. So now I'm stuck with a 4s... I could've gotten a L928 but unfortunately that wasn't my decision to make rather it was my parents...

Sent from my device using Tapatalk
    01-20-2014 03:18 PM
    If you even try to inquire about the Icon, the rep will try to sell you an Android phone. I've had the same experience as have others I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-20-2014 03:24 PM
    I've never had this experience. If anyone tried to give me that 100% bull****, I would be giving them a nice lesson in salesmanship and knowing what the hell they are talking about before opening their mouth.
    01-20-2014 04:16 PM
292 ... 9101112