02-14-2014 12:01 PM
292 ... 101112
tools
    I took both of my parents on separate occasions to buy the Lumia 928 when it first came out. Both times the sales reps' reactions were something along the lines of, "Are you sure that's what you want? I can show you some devices if you would like to see other options." It really angered me. My father (72 years old at the time) is also a tech enthusiast, and he felt like because of his age, the reps were trying to baby talk him as if he doesn't know what he's talking about. Then with my mom, they looked at her as some technology illiterate woman who doesn't understand the difference between phones.

This is why I had to go with them to fight the reps. It's pathetic. I shouldn't have to go with my parents to tell the reps multiple times to stop trying to sell them something other than what they want.

I hope this culture between reps and their thoughts on Windows Phones "inferiority" go away soon as the platform catches up with Android and iOS in key features. These reps don't realize how much of an influence they have on the opinions of the consumer. The more they detract people from buying Windows Phones, the more people start believing Windows Phone as a platform sucks, and then tell other people the same.

My mother works at Macy's. She gets taunted every day for her "weird" phone by fellow employees. These are ladies in their 50s and 60s with their iPhones telling my mom her phone sucks. I can't believe even "mature adults" fall victim to the hive mind.
    Tjarren likes this.
    01-20-2014 04:51 PM
    This is my first post and I signed in just so I could share this. I've been reading these threads since Nov. b/c I've needed a new phone and my contract was up at Verizon. I've been a Droid user for a long time but a fan of Microsoft and the direction they are going (Xbox One, Window Tiles, etc.). So I decided to make my Christmas gift the new Lumia 929/Icon. Well, as you know it never came so my kids/wife just got me a gift card and wrapped a picture of a Nokia 928. Like most everyone on this board it's been driving me crazy that the phone hasn't been released b/c my current phone is borderline unusable (i.e. picture that commercial with the guy with Band-Aids on his finger tips).

Here is the reason I'm posting. I gave in and went to get a new phone. I got the Lumia 928 (I love it so far) when Jan. 16th rumor came and went. I figured if the Icon came out in the next 14 days I would just pay the restocking fee and upgrade (i.e. tell Verizon I don't like the 928). When I went into the store the rep that called my name to help me was shocked when I said I wanted a 928. He pretty much talked Windows down and gave me a "Gosh, I don't know if we even have that in stock. Want to look at something else?" I said "no" and told him I'd buy it online if they didn't have it in stock. He went to the back room and found one. As he was ringing me up/changing Sim card/etc. he asked why I don't wait a week b/c the Icon is coming out. I played dumb and asked what it was and why I should wait. He said b/c they have all the accessories in and have had them for almost a week. He said when they get accessories they always get the phone the following week. He then gave me his card (b/c he wants to sell me the new one when it comes in) and told me to call him when I see the new one is out so he can get credit for the sale.

Like all the other rumors that were wrong on here take this for what it is worth. I got my phone this past Friday. So believe me, I REALLY need the Icon to be released soon.

Best.
    Thanks for the update and glad you're loving your 928. It really is a great phone.
    01-20-2014 05:06 PM

I hope this culture between reps and their thoughts on Windows Phones "inferiority" go away soon as the platform catches up with Android and iOS in key features. These reps don't realize how much of an influence they have on the opinions of the consumer. The more they detract people from buying Windows Phones, the more people start believing Windows Phone as a platform sucks, and then tell other people the same.
    I think they do realize it. And they don't care as long as they get their sale. It sucks.
    DustinRyan likes this.
    01-20-2014 05:41 PM
    I think they do realize it. And they don't care as long as they get their sale. It sucks.
    Yeah, such a bummer. Part of me is tempted to get a job at Verizon just to help customers find the phone that suits them, not force everyone to like what I like or what is trendy or what the hive mind declares to be the only phone anyone should buy. It's so crazy. I felt so bad for my parents. They felt hounded and that they were being talked down to. I hate to imagine it but I'm sure it happens daily, all over the country. :(
    Tjarren likes this.
    01-20-2014 05:55 PM
    Yeah, such a bummer. Part of me is tempted to get a job at Verizon just to help customers find the phone that suits them, not force everyone to like what I like or what is trendy or what the hive mind declares to be the only phone anyone should buy.
    I've felt the same way, but the cynical part of me thought I would be denied a job simply because I would promote Windows Phones.
    01-20-2014 06:32 PM
    I've felt the same way, but the cynical part of me thought I would be denied a job simply because I would promote Windows Phones.
    but thats a good thing to promote Windows isnt it?? xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-20-2014 06:36 PM
    Just got some new marketing materials looks like the the Lumia Icon is launching on 02/06/14
    01-21-2014 03:20 PM
    Just got some new marketing materials looks like the the Lumia Icon is launching on 02/06/14
    is it anything you can share? can you confirm battery or anything else? :)
    01-21-2014 03:31 PM
    I hope this isn't another bogus rumor. What proof do you have exactly?
    01-21-2014 03:45 PM
    I got hired and my manager knew I would be promoting windows phone. In fact, he figured I could teach everyone else in the store how to use it. But I can't begin to count how many sales we lost because reps tried to convince a customer to get a different phone. Just the other day my coworker was ringing out a guy who wanted the 928 full retail. She said "I don't even know why he wants this phone" so I offered to ring him out instead. Of course she didn't let me but she tried so hard to sell him an iPhone.
    Maanasee Deshmukh likes this.
    01-21-2014 04:20 PM
    I got hired and my manager knew I would be promoting windows phone. In fact, he figured I could teach everyone else in the store how to use it. But I can't begin to count how many sales we lost because reps tried to convince a customer to get a different phone. Just the other day my coworker was ringing out a guy who wanted the 928 full retail. She said "I don't even know why he wants this phone" so I offered to ring him out instead. Of course she didn't let me but she tried so hard to sell him an iPhone.
    I feel like if people would just TRY OUT Windows and feel the experience... like Windows would be so much better

01-21-2014 05:47 PM
    I feel like if people would just TRY OUT Windows and feel the experience... like Windows would be so much better

Exactly....that's how I came to WP. Of course, I was looking for an excuse to do so. Was taking a long weekend trip to a wedding, picked up a Vzw 822 to keep as loaner phone at work just because, had a blast using it. Promptly picked up my own 928 after I got back from the trip.

Really looking forward to the 9Icon29.
    01-21-2014 06:52 PM
    Yo Broadway, could you head over to this thread and see what Tcman88 says about Verizon's upcoming plans? They don't quite jive with what you're thinking. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nok...n/242754-8.htm
    01-21-2014 06:56 PM
    Nokia rep Drop by today with the Icon he states the device is launching on the 20th
    Indistinguishable and maevinj like this.
    02-11-2014 07:46 PM
    Nokia rep Drop by today with the Icon he states the device is launching on the 20th
    I think that means that the icon is launching in April.
    02-11-2014 08:02 PM
    You guys really think the 929 is worth upgrading to from the 928? Spec-wise? What would I gain from a 929 that my 928 doesn't offer?
    HD screen - 1080, larger screen, up to date internals, 20mp camera, hopefully more premium design. To name a few obvious ones. I've used the 928 in the store many times and I know that everyone loves it, but I really think it looks, feels, and performs much worse than the 1520. I know the 1520 is a bigger screen but the resolution difference and zippy performance is substantial. I also think the 1020 and 925 though of similar specs are still more premium in the hand.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    02-11-2014 08:33 PM
    I love my 928, but I sure do want the bigger camera in the Icon. The rest of the specs are just the cherry on top, to me. I don't "need" them. But alas, my wife says I am not spending $200 on a new phone, so I'll be waiting for the price drop. And in the mean time, I'll still be hoping for a 41MP camera to come to Verizon....
    02-14-2014 12:01 PM
292 ... 101112