Lumia 929 Released Date Nov 21

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Ok here's a quick update. I just visited another VZW corporate store (NYC Metro Area). I asked the clerk if he had any Icon accessories. He came back with 5 different cases, 2 VZW branded silicone gel cases (purple and black), 2 Incipio feather cases (blue and black), and a holster/clip combo case. He was willing to sell any of them to me, but I didn't buy any. I've already got 2.
He also told me the actual phones hadn't yet arrived, and he didn't know when they would be in .

No Otterbox cases seen yet? I hope they're available at launch.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
He didn't say anything about Otterbox. He brought out all the cases he had at the time. I may email Otterbox myself.
On a similar note, I already emailed Trident. The Trident rep responded that a Cyclops case is supposed to be available by the end of this month, and to keep checking their tridentcases.com website.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
On the insurance from the Microsoft Store, here's my experience:
1. a week and a half after my first 928, I had a problem (don't remember what), took the phone in and they handed me a new one.
2. While walking out to the car with that phone, I realized that the new one was stuck in a loop - couldn't even sign into my MS Account. Walked back in and they handed me a new phone.
3. A few weeks later, had another problem (don't remember what), walked in, they handed me a new phone.
4. Broke the screen. Walked in, handed them $50, and they handed me a new phone.
5. Got tired of the "phantom tap" problem - screen acting like there was a ghost reaching over my shoulder and tapping the screen while I was looking at it. Went to the store expecting the same experience as prior episodes. Was told that they could ship it to Nokia and I'd be out my phone for a couple weeks, or I could pay the $50. I argued the point. If I know how to do one thing, it's argue. Got the manager involved. She saw my Widnows Phone shirt and asked if I was one of their developers. Yes. :wink: She told me that the way it works is they can send the phone to Nokia and get it covered by warranty, or pay $50 and get coverage under the MS insurance. I told her that I used to administer extended warranty contracts for a major insurance company, and I'd bet that if they looked at the terms and conditions they'd find that the insurance doesn't cover anything that is covered by the OEM warranty, and this problem would be an OEM issue. She told me that she'd have to research that, but I could be right. I explained to her my past experience, and she said, "Well, I didn't come over here to tell you that you were going to have to pay the $50. We'll go ahead and replace the phone."

While ringing it up, the person helping me got rather snarky... And when I went to grab the box after taking the phone out and putting my SIM into it, he wouldn't give me the box - he said, "It's our box." Ooooookaaaaaaayyyyy... Funny, since initially he put the whole box into a bag, with the phone still in the box, until I took it out to put my SIM in. But whatever... I got the phone replaced.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
On the insurance from the Microsoft Store, here's my experience:
1. a week and a half after my first 928, I had a problem (don't remember what), took the phone in and they handed me a new one.
2. While walking out to the car with that phone, I realized that the new one was stuck in a loop - couldn't even sign into my MS Account. Walked back in and they handed me a new phone.
3. A few weeks later, had another problem (don't remember what), walked in, they handed me a new phone.
4. Broke the screen. Walked in, handed them $50, and they handed me a new phone.
5. Got tired of the "phantom tap" problem - screen acting like there was a ghost reaching over my shoulder and tapping the screen while I was looking at it. Went to the store expecting the same experience as prior episodes. Was told that they could ship it to Nokia and I'd be out my phone for a couple weeks, or I could pay the $50. I argued the point. If I know how to do one thing, it's argue. Got the manager involved. She saw my Widnows Phone shirt and asked if I was one of their developers. Yes. :wink: She told me that the way it works is they can send the phone to Nokia and get it covered by warranty, or pay $50 and get coverage under the MS insurance. I told her that I used to administer extended warranty contracts for a major insurance company, and I'd bet that if they looked at the terms and conditions they'd find that the insurance doesn't cover anything that is covered by the OEM warranty, and this problem would be an OEM issue. She told me that she'd have to research that, but I could be right. I explained to her my past experience, and she said, "Well, I didn't come over here to tell you that you were going to have to pay the $50. We'll go ahead and replace the phone."

While ringing it up, the person helping me got rather snarky... And when I went to grab the box after taking the phone out and putting my SIM into it, he wouldn't give me the box - he said, "It's our box." Ooooookaaaaaaayyyyy... Funny, since initially he put the whole box into a bag, with the phone still in the box, until I took it out to put my SIM in. But whatever... I got the phone replaced.

The fact that you had a different response during the phantom tap episode than prior responses basically says that different stores/managers will handle things differently. So that's another thing to take into consideration when thinking about who you should buy a phone from. Which Microsoft Store location were you shopping with, Hop?

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
No Otterbox cases seen yet? I hope they're available at launch.

So I checked out the Otterbox.com site and there's a Chat feature. I just chatted with a rep. and asked him about case availability for the ICON.
His response:"I am sorry but we don't have any current plans for that."

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Why would they make an otterbox? I mean if they don't see but 100 people wanting it. Seems like otterbox is more worried about iPhones than any other phone.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Why would they make an otterbox? I mean if they don't see but 100 people wanting it. Seems like otterbox is more worried about iPhones than any other phone.

Here ya go:
@JD JD I have a picture of the deck showing the upcoming release date but I don't want to post it because I like my job�� But like indistinguishable mention Verizon has a habit of changing release dates. Also I found a picture of a otterbox case for the 929 in infomanager. If still on pace for release we should have a demo early next week. I will jeep everyone posted.

More accessory companies seem to be getting behind the NL Icon than the NL928.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Just following up on one of my previous posts on this thread. Looks like Trident came out with a Cyclops case for the 929/ICON:
Cyclops Case for Nokia Lumia 929
40 bucks though, so I'm holding off for now.

More and more accessories being released every day!!!

Speaking of new cases, I ordered this case in black, and will review it once I get it, in the thread i created on cases and belt clips:
http://www.nakedcellphone.com/c-812-lumia-icon-929.aspx
Only 10 bucks.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The fact that you had a different response during the phantom tap episode than prior responses basically says that different stores/managers will handle things differently. So that's another thing to take into consideration when thinking about who you should buy a phone from. Which Microsoft Store location were you shopping with, Hop?

Agreed. But it also means to keep pushing until you either get what you want, or it becomes obvious that you will not. I was at the Atlanta (Lenox Square) store.

Maanasee Deshmukh

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok here's a quick update. I just visited another VZW corporate store (NYC Metro Area). I asked the clerk if he had any Icon accessories. He came back with 5 different cases, 2 VZW branded silicone gel cases (purple and black), 2 Incipio feather cases (blue and black), and a holster/clip combo case. He was willing to sell any of them to me, but I didn't buy any. I've already got 2.
He also told me the actual phones hadn't yet arrived, and he didn't know when they would be in .

Its definitely a start! Thanks for the info!! At least we know its coming out. Now its just a matter of when...... Lets hope the delay is not much longer... xD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MacLish

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
This is my first post and I signed in just so I could share this. I've been reading these threads since Nov. b/c I've needed a new phone and my contract was up at Verizon. I've been a Droid user for a long time but a fan of Microsoft and the direction they are going (Xbox One, Window Tiles, etc.). So I decided to make my Christmas gift the new Lumia 929/Icon. Well, as you know it never came so my kids/wife just got me a gift card and wrapped a picture of a Nokia 928. Like most everyone on this board it's been driving me crazy that the phone hasn't been released b/c my current phone is borderline unusable (i.e. picture that commercial with the guy with Band-Aids on his finger tips).

Here is the reason I'm posting. I gave in and went to get a new phone. I got the Lumia 928 (I love it so far) when Jan. 16th rumor came and went. I figured if the Icon came out in the next 14 days I would just pay the restocking fee and upgrade (i.e. tell Verizon I don't like the 928). When I went into the store the rep that called my name to help me was shocked when I said I wanted a 928. He pretty much talked Windows down and gave me a "Gosh, I don't know if we even have that in stock. Want to look at something else?" I said "no" and told him I'd buy it online if they didn't have it in stock. He went to the back room and found one. As he was ringing me up/changing Sim card/etc. he asked why I don't wait a week b/c the Icon is coming out. I played dumb and asked what it was and why I should wait. He said b/c they have all the accessories in and have had them for almost a week. He said when they get accessories they always get the phone the following week. He then gave me his card (b/c he wants to sell me the new one when it comes in) and told me to call him when I see the new one is out so he can get credit for the sale.

Like all the other rumors that were wrong on here take this for what it is worth. I got my phone this past Friday. So believe me, I REALLY need the Icon to be released soon.

Best.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Man, I hate it when reps try to talk people out of what they come in and specifically ask for.

I went to Verizon to look at the Note 3 and ask about the 929.

The rep talked down the Lumia and said (and I quote)

"You don't want the Lumia. The Android has dual quads of cores of processors and has more bits of megs"

I just smiled and said that was good to know and moved on.

Maanasee Deshmukh

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Man, I hate it when reps try to talk people out of what they come in and specifically ask for.

I went to Verizon to look at the Note 3 and ask about the 929.

The rep talked down the Lumia and said (and I quote)

"You don't want the Lumia. The Android has dual quads of cores of processors and has more bits of megs"

I just smiled and said that was good to know and moved on.

Same here!! When I went to inquire about the L929, the reps were like, "Oh you don't want Windows. Windows is terrible in the phone market..." I outta give them a piece of my mind.. So now I'm stuck with a 4s... I could've gotten a L928 but unfortunately that wasn't my decision to make rather it was my parents...

Sent from my device using Tapatalk

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If you even try to inquire about the Icon, the rep will try to sell you an Android phone. I've had the same experience as have others I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I've never had this experience. If anyone tried to give me that 100% bull****, I would be giving them a nice lesson in salesmanship and knowing what the hell they are talking about before opening their mouth.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I took both of my parents on separate occasions to buy the Lumia 928 when it first came out. Both times the sales reps' reactions were something along the lines of, "Are you sure that's what you want? I can show you some devices if you would like to see other options." It really angered me. My father (72 years old at the time) is also a tech enthusiast, and he felt like because of his age, the reps were trying to baby talk him as if he doesn't know what he's talking about. Then with my mom, they looked at her as some technology illiterate woman who doesn't understand the difference between phones.

This is why I had to go with them to fight the reps. It's pathetic. I shouldn't have to go with my parents to tell the reps multiple times to stop trying to sell them something other than what they want.

I hope this culture between reps and their thoughts on Windows Phones "inferiority" go away soon as the platform catches up with Android and iOS in key features. These reps don't realize how much of an influence they have on the opinions of the consumer. The more they detract people from buying Windows Phones, the more people start believing Windows Phone as a platform sucks, and then tell other people the same.

My mother works at Macy's. She gets taunted every day for her "weird" phone by fellow employees. These are ladies in their 50s and 60s with their iPhones telling my mom her phone sucks. I can't believe even "mature adults" fall victim to the hive mind.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
This is my first post and I signed in just so I could share this. I've been reading these threads since Nov. b/c I've needed a new phone and my contract was up at Verizon. I've been a Droid user for a long time but a fan of Microsoft and the direction they are going (Xbox One, Window Tiles, etc.). So I decided to make my Christmas gift the new Lumia 929/Icon. Well, as you know it never came so my kids/wife just got me a gift card and wrapped a picture of a Nokia 928. Like most everyone on this board it's been driving me crazy that the phone hasn't been released b/c my current phone is borderline unusable (i.e. picture that commercial with the guy with Band-Aids on his finger tips).

Here is the reason I'm posting. I gave in and went to get a new phone. I got the Lumia 928 (I love it so far) when Jan. 16th rumor came and went. I figured if the Icon came out in the next 14 days I would just pay the restocking fee and upgrade (i.e. tell Verizon I don't like the 928). When I went into the store the rep that called my name to help me was shocked when I said I wanted a 928. He pretty much talked Windows down and gave me a "Gosh, I don't know if we even have that in stock. Want to look at something else?" I said "no" and told him I'd buy it online if they didn't have it in stock. He went to the back room and found one. As he was ringing me up/changing Sim card/etc. he asked why I don't wait a week b/c the Icon is coming out. I played dumb and asked what it was and why I should wait. He said b/c they have all the accessories in and have had them for almost a week. He said when they get accessories they always get the phone the following week. He then gave me his card (b/c he wants to sell me the new one when it comes in) and told me to call him when I see the new one is out so he can get credit for the sale.

Like all the other rumors that were wrong on here take this for what it is worth. I got my phone this past Friday. So believe me, I REALLY need the Icon to be released soon.

Best.

Thanks for the update and glad you're loving your 928. It really is a great phone.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I hope this culture between reps and their thoughts on Windows Phones "inferiority" go away soon as the platform catches up with Android and iOS in key features. These reps don't realize how much of an influence they have on the opinions of the consumer. The more they detract people from buying Windows Phones, the more people start believing Windows Phone as a platform sucks, and then tell other people the same.

I think they do realize it. And they don't care as long as they get their sale. It sucks.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think they do realize it. And they don't care as long as they get their sale. It sucks.

Yeah, such a bummer. Part of me is tempted to get a job at Verizon just to help customers find the phone that suits them, not force everyone to like what I like or what is trendy or what the hive mind declares to be the only phone anyone should buy. It's so crazy. I felt so bad for my parents. They felt hounded and that they were being talked down to. I hate to imagine it but I'm sure it happens daily, all over the country. :(

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, such a bummer. Part of me is tempted to get a job at Verizon just to help customers find the phone that suits them, not force everyone to like what I like or what is trendy or what the hive mind declares to be the only phone anyone should buy.

I've felt the same way, but the cynical part of me thought I would be denied a job simply because I would promote Windows Phones. :winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss