How Soon Before an AT&T Version

campbellc

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
How quickly do other carriers get version of phones? For instance, how long after the 920 was launched on AT&T did Verizon get their version. I became eligible for an upgrade on November 1st. Not sure how long I can last. The 1520 is just too big. I think a 5 inch phone is perfect. I really want a 929 version for AT&T.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I really think that AT&T will get a different model, not the 929. AT&T will probably get something else as a replacement for the 920.

remindmyself

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
This question is seriously getting annoying. This is Verizon's variant of the Lumia 1520. Seeing as how it is a variant, it is HIGHLY unlikely that this will come to any carrier except Verizon. Will MS/Nokia make another phone with similar size and specs? Maybe, but it probably won't be anytime soon. I can't imagine many new phones coming from them until 8.1, when Microsoft's first phone comes out and after the Nokia sale goes through

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
This question is seriously getting annoying. This is Verizon's variant of the Lumia 1520. Seeing as how it is a variant, it is HIGHLY unlikely that this will come to any carrier except Verizon.
That's your speculation -- there's been no official announcement of any kind. However, experience has shown us that the "carrier variants" differ in fairly minor ways (shape, memory, wireless charging, and LCD/OLED tech).

I don't think that any carrier variant has ever varied in screen size.Since the 929 is supposed to be a 5" device and the 1520 is a 6" device, it seems to me like these are different models, not carrier variants of the same model. It's reasonable to guess/hope that AT&T and/or T-Mobile will get a 5" device and that Verizon will get a 6" device, should those carriers want to offer such a device to their customers.

The OP is asking is there are any rumors or leaks that point to a 5" WP device for AT&T. As of now, I believe that there is no such information. Even if they were planning on offering it, they would be wise to keep it quiet so as not to diminish potential sales of the 1520. Still, so far there's nothing.

On the bright side, if you can live with HSPA+ speeds (instead of the latest and greatest LTE speeds), the 929 is supposed to be SIM unlocked and I believe is supposed to have the HSPA+ frequencies that AT&T uses. This might work for your needs. One thing that we can't yet even speculate on is whether or not tethering on the AT&T network would work with such a device. My guess is that it would not, but that's my speculation.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
There's a whole other thread speculating on this issue.
Frankly I'm tired of hearing about people on AT&T asking/complaining/whining about not getting the 929. You got the 920 first, you still have the 1020 exclusive, and you're getting the 1520. Suck it up and wait. It's going to be a while...

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
There's a whole other thread speculating on this issue.
Frankly I'm tired of hearing about people on AT&T asking/complaining/whining about not getting the 929. You got the 920 first, you still have the 1020 exclusive, and you're getting the 1520. Suck it up and wait. It's going to be a while...

LOL, true story. But no one wants the 1520!!

edit: Most people don't want the 1520**

Last edited:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
You will likely get AT&T LTE on the AWS band as the 929 should work on Verizon's AWS LTE (like how the 928 will get a software update to enable it) T Mobile will work as well, except for the apparent SMS issues

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Well, it will be nice once we get answers and the 929 is officially announced and released. I personally don't think AT&T will release a 5" version of the 1520 which is what the 929 is/will be. I just don't see them doing it. Why would they?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Sure there was, the 925. But also, the 928 was the Verizon variant and slight update of the 920. When AT&T took its slight update of the 920, they got the 925. Notice that after the 920, all of AT&T's Lumias have been stripped of Qi (the 820, 1020, 925, and 1520) while the Verizon 822 and 928 both have it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720