Fed up with Verizon (Lumia 929)

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm having a hard time understanding how people are getting mad about a phone that hasn't been officially announced. We've seen leaked photos and have had rumored release dates but nothing official, so why are people mad at VZ and MS about releasing something they haven't even announced yet. Don't get me wrong, I want a new phone too, but I'd rather have a fully tested phone I know works on the network I'm on than for them to release the phone now and see the same people crooning over the phone be the biggest complainers when they have the slightest issue. Look at what happened with the 928 and how many people dogged that because of its issues. It made me not even think about switching from my 8x and im glad I didn't because the phone doesn't even have a FM radio and I love that feature now that I know it exists on a cdma phone cause I've never had a phone where it was an option before. Has saved a bunch of data that can be used for viewing movies when im not on WiFi.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm having a hard time understanding how people are getting mad about a phone that hasn't been officially announced. We've seen leaked photos and have had rumored release dates but nothing official, so why are people mad at VZ and MS about releasing something they haven't even announced yet. Don't get me wrong, I want a new phone too, but I'd rather have a fully tested phone I know works on the network I'm on than for them to release the phone now and see the same people crooning over the phone be the biggest complainers when they have the slightest issue. Look at what happened with the 928 and how many people dogged that because of its issues. It made me not even think about switching from my 8x and im glad I didn't because the phone doesn't even have a FM radio and I love that feature now that I know it exists on a cdma phone cause I've never had a phone where it was an option before. Has saved a bunch of data that can be used for viewing movies when im not on WiFi.

I'll try to explain my frustration if you'll listen. I'm actually a patient guy who is willing to wait for a phone that I believe is worth having. Case and point: I've been using the HTC Trophy since launch day.

My frustration and anger has much less to do with the Nokia Lumia 929 and much more to do with Verizon's device release policy and process. You summed the policy and process in your post here: "Don't believe the hype, the phone isn't coming out until you hear a word from VZ, that's if you hear a word from VZ. Look at how they released the HTC One Max, no preorders or announcements. That's how VZ roles." http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-929/250976-still-waiting-929-now-what.html#post2230868

Smartphones are devices that are expensive, personal, and for some people - purely contractual. As a smart phone provider and carrier, it is inconsiderate, rude, and poor business practice to keep your customers in the dark on the availability of a significantly upgraded device until right before releasing the device. It is, however, their right to do so because that's how carriers work in the U.S. That doesn't mean I can't be frustrated and agitated about it.

I'll give you a personal example. My beloved HTC Trophy has served me well. Verizon's network has served me well while I use it. But it is over 30 months old, and it has started to show its age. It's slowing a bit, it will lag and freeze occasionally, and obviously the 3g network is not anywhere close to 4g in terms of speed. I'm a plastic salesman, I will sometimes have phone conversations in which several million dollars worth of assets are transacted. I need a reliable phone. I cannot be waiting aimlessly for Verizon to willy-nilly release the upgrade for my device. And i'm not about to buy a 928 when the 929 could be released tomorrow. This is just my personal example, I'm sure i'm not alone in this.

Dear Verizon,

If the Nokia Lumia 929 is never going to come to fruition, say so. If you're launching the device this month, say so. If you're launching it this year, say so. If you're launching in early 2014, say so. Bottom line: Communicate with your customers.

Last edited:

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I understand where you're coming from and it is definitely a VZ issue with how they do their releases. If not an actual release day, they should communicate in some way to let customers know they can expect a new device on their network during a particular quarter. But then again, that has failed with them in the past too, so they may be like, we're not gonna promise anything especially if they are figuring ways to strip the phone if some of its features.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I guess it's either Vzw's way or AT&T's way. Look at the cluster F they have now with 1520 deliveries being delayed.
Maybe Vzw didn't launch the 929 yesterday because of inventory problems..

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I get it, inventory is uncertain, especially with Nokia's current model. I'm sure that's one of the first things Microsoft will try to improve upon adoption.

But hypothetically, that doesn't prevent them from announcing the device for a release a month or two from now. Build inventory now with a planned release date so that the customers know how to plan their purchases.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I get it, inventory is uncertain, especially with Nokia's current model. I'm sure that's one of the first things Microsoft will try to improve upon adoption.

But hypothetically, that doesn't prevent them from announcing the device for a release a month or two from now. Build inventory now with a planned release date so that the customers know how to plan their purchases.
Vzw probably goes my motto " Under promise, over-deliver" By not announcing a device/release date they're removing themselves from the liability of creating issues/disappointing people by promising a new device at a specified time. We're only up in arms about this because we've heard rumored information about a possible new devices. Most users have no idea about when new phones are coming out except when they see ads for it.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Vzw probably goes my motto " Under promise, over-deliver" By not announcing a device/release date they're removing themselves from the liability of creating issues/disappointing people by promising a new device at a specified time. We're only up in arms about this because we've heard rumored information about a possible new devices. Most users have no idea about when new phones are coming out except when they see ads for it.

I usually stick to under promise, over deliver, as well, but the problem with it is that if you under promise, you likely won't reach maximum potential for sales. If no one knows about it, they can't get it. Verizon seems to (at least in the past) thought that Windows Phone wasn't worth promoting or getting hyped up because no one wanted it. But no one can want it if they don't know about it. So it's a catch 22 I suppose.

I don't blame Verizon, but they certainly aren't making any fans out of Windows Phone enthusiasts by being too quiet, and not showing that they support it. If they don't support the platform I want, how can they expect my loyalty? It's not like Windows Phone is some crazy one-off brand that is obscure and owned by some small, useless company. This is Microsoft we're talking about. And Windows Phone is bigger than BlackBerry now. Sure, it's not as big as Android or the iPhone, but it never will reach its full potential if it doesn't get carrier support.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I usually stick to under promise, over deliver, as well, but the problem with it is that if you under promise, you likely won't reach maximum potential for sales. If no one knows about it, they can't get it. Verizon seems to (at least in the past) thought that Windows Phone wasn't worth promoting or getting hyped up because no one wanted it. But no one can want it if they don't know about it. So it's a catch 22 I suppose.

I don't blame Verizon, but they certainly aren't making any fans out of Windows Phone enthusiasts by being too quiet, and not showing that they support it. If they don't support the platform I want, how can they expect my loyalty? It's not like Windows Phone is some crazy one-off brand that is obscure and owned by some small, useless company. This is Microsoft we're talking about. And Windows Phone is bigger than BlackBerry now. Sure, it's not as big as Android or the iPhone, but it never will reach its full potential if it doesn't get carrier support.

Especially when Verizon has an Android and iOS app but no WP app.

Last edited:

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Call me crazy, but having a Verizon logo on my phone doesn't really bother me. Especially given the excellent coverage they provide. Some people sound like women discussing handbags when talking about the design of their phones. I understand the OP's frustration but it's still a bit amusing. You're going to leave the best network because they're taking a few extra weeks to release a phone and it's got (*gasp*) a big Verizon logo that no one else is looking at when you pull out your phone because it's just a phone and they're not looking at it to begin with?

Chill out man. It's coming and it's gonna be awesome. I will use mine to rearrange the asteroid belt, fling a couple rocks at Mars.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
If Verizon does not release the 929 this week I am done with them. I'm so fed up with them, they for one ruin the beauty of Nokia Phones, then they make us wait. Even if AT&T gets exclusive deals this means that Verizon isn't paying enough to get those deals. So yea it's AT&T's fault I guess, but I still blame Verizon. Verizon said when WP8 came out they were going to promote it, to make it a 3rd ecosystem. So what do they do? Remove color, make phones rounder or squarer, and make us wait. I honestly don't care whats "best" Verizon, I am their customer, and I am not happy. AT&T I guess your exclusives work, because if I don't get a 929, I'm heading your way.
So you're going to pass up an awesome phone for what the ginormous 1050 on att? You sound like a whiny little kid who is throwing a temper tantrum because their parents wouldn't buy them something and make them wait. Verizon has been faster pushing updates to Lumia devices compared to att and most of the time their coverage can't be beat. But go ahead run to att and then complain when as soon as you do it is announced on verizon and then you are stuck. Patience..... You can survive a little longer...

K Boston

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I work for a company with over 40,000 VZW devices. I was on the phone Friday activating a new phone on Verizon for one of our employees. This is a corporate account rep I was talking to and asked her to dig for info on the 929. Nothing in pre-release, nothing in development. She could not find one single mention of the 929 anywhere at VZW. In other words, it's vapor ware at this point. I really wanted the 1020, I'll have to settle for the 929, if it ever comes out. I guess my little 822 (which I am very happy with BTW) will have to hang out awhile longer.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I work for a company with over 40,000 VZW devices. I was on the phone Friday activating a new phone on Verizon for one of our employees. This is a corporate account rep I was talking to and asked her to dig for info on the 929. Nothing in pre-release, nothing in development. She could not find one single mention of the 929 anywhere at VZW. In other words, it's vapor ware at this point. I really wanted the 1020, I'll have to settle for the 929, if it ever comes out. I guess my little 822 (which I am very happy with BTW) will have to hang out awhile longer.
I wouldn't necessarily put much stock in them "not being able to find any information" A lot of the time they don't even know the phones that are out currently.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll try to explain my frustration if you'll listen. I'm actually a patient guy who is willing to wait for a phone that I believe is worth having. Case and point: I've been using the HTC Trophy since launch day.

My frustration and anger has much less to do with the Nokia Lumia 929 and much more to do with Verizon's device release policy and process. You summed the policy and process in your post here: "Don't believe the hype, the phone isn't coming out until you hear a word from VZ, that's if you hear a word from VZ. Look at how they released the HTC One Max, no preorders or announcements. That's how VZ roles." http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-929/250976-still-waiting-929-now-what.html#post2230868

Smartphones are devices that are expensive, personal, and for some people - purely contractual. As a smart phone provider and carrier, it is inconsiderate, rude, and poor business practice to keep your customers in the dark on the availability of a significantly upgraded device until right before releasing the device. It is, however, their right to do so because that's how carriers work in the U.S. That doesn't mean I can't be frustrated and agitated about it.

I'll give you a personal example. My beloved HTC Trophy has served me well. Verizon's network has served me well while I use it. But it is over 30 months old, and it has started to show its age. It's slowing a bit, it will lag and freeze occasionally, and obviously the 3g network is not anywhere close to 4g in terms of speed. I'm a plastic salesman, I will sometimes have phone conversations in which several million dollars worth of assets are transacted. I need a reliable phone. I cannot be waiting aimlessly for Verizon to willy-nilly release the upgrade for my device. And i'm not about to buy a 928 when the 929 could be released tomorrow. This is just my personal example, I'm sure i'm not alone in this.

Dear Verizon,

If the Nokia Lumia 929 is never going to come to fruition, say so. If you're launching the device this month, say so. If you're launching it this year, say so. If you're launching in early 2014, say so. Bottom line: Communicate with your customers.

This is why leaks are so bad. If the phone never leaked, people would not be angry and in fact would be amazed when it showed up on verizon's shelves. I guess it is a double edged sword, you always want to know what is around the corner, yet when it doesn't come exactly when you want it you have people on forums like this threatening to leave for another carrier. Seems to happen with every OS and shiny new device.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
This is why leaks are so bad. If the phone never leaked, people would not be angry and in fact would be amazed when it showed up on verizon's shelves. I guess it is a double edged sword, you always want to know what is around the corner, yet when it doesn't come exactly when you want it you have people on forums like this threatening to leave for another carrier. Seems to happen with every OS and shiny new device.

Not necessarily. If there weren't any leaks for the 929, I actually probably wouldn't be on Verizon anymore. The leak is keeping my attention a little longer.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
My business rep didn't know anything about the 929 this week either. BTW, has anyone ever heard of the Palm Pre 3???? Yes, it was a Verizon device that was built but never released. Not that it could have saved WebOS, but it was a nice device. I'm not saying the 929 is like the Pre 3 and will never come out, but Verizon does have a history of changing their minds.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe its not called a 929 to Verizon. The 1020's on device model name is 909, after all.

Just something to consider. Ignorant employees is more plausible but... 😃

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Did you even read my post? Leaks don't add to or lessen my frustration. Leaks exist because generously timed announcements don't.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
My business rep didn't know anything about the 929 this week either. BTW, has anyone ever heard of the Palm Pre 3???? Yes, it was a Verizon device that was built but never released. Not that it could have saved webOS, but it was a nice device. I'm not saying the 929 is like the Pre 3 and will never come out, but Verizon does have a history of changing their minds.

Pre 3!! Heck yeah I've heard of it. I wanted that phone bad. My Palm Pre+ had great features and I loved the notification system. If the calendars on the phone and my Touchpad would have synced back and forth, like my devices do now, that would have been awesome. HP screwed up a great thing. HP is the reason I'm here today.

There were a few floating around, but they were way too expensive for my wallet.

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Pre 3!! Heck yeah I've heard of it. I wanted that phone bad. My Palm Pre+ had great features and I loved the notification system. If the calendars on the phone and my Touchpad would have synced back and forth, like my devices do now, that would have been awesome. HP screwed up a great thing. HP is the reason I'm here today.

There were a few floating around, but they were way too expensive for my wallet.

My thoughts exactly, I loved webos for its simplicity and its notification system. Anybody I showed the OS to liked it to, to bad the HP didn't invest in it like the said they would. I just gave away my touchpad to my 11yr old godson so he can learn about the OS and dual boot to android if he wants to. Since I've gotten my SP1, the touchpad had been sitting around collecting dust.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Fed up with verizon (929)

Ok? well in that case who ever orders Verizon's Windows Phones are not doing a good job. And still like I said i'm not happy as a customer, If this makes them more money sure fine do it, but I will be leaving Verizon.

Hey, I agree with you. I wish every phone was available on every network.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb