Still waiting for 929, now what?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
They don't want to announce dates of upcoming phones so that the sales of existing phone won't be affected.
If you were in the market for a Windows Phone, but knew there was a new one coming out in a week, you would wait and not buy what is at the store now.
If the specs were comparable perhaps, but if we're talking about the difference between an 822 and 929 I don't think anyone that wants something as powerful as the 929 would buy an 822 regardless of whether there was a concrete release date for the 929.

I guess your point does apply to someone sitting in the Verizon store staring at the 928 though. So your point is valid, and you are a good human being.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
So if you're moving from Sprint to Verizon, your only option is to get a phone on contract. You would have to get the free 928, then pay retail price for the 929 is released. You can buy a used phone if you want, but you'll need a new plan to put it on. If you have a new plan, you can't get a "discounted upgrade" later for the 929, because you're eligible for a discounted upgrade after two years.
Whether you come to Verizon with a used 928 or get a free 928 from them, if you start a new contract with Verizon now, you'll be paying full price for the 929 (rumored to be $500).

if he buys a used phone he won't be signing a contract, and when the 929 comes out he will get the discounted rate when he signs one.

sundevil1982

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a slightly used 822 online for only about $100. This should be an upgrade over my 4s and should hold me off until the 929 releases. The plus about this is I should be able to keep my unlimited data plan.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been sitting on a used 822 for 6 months. It seems like the waiting game rarely pays off with Verizon.

That's my problem. I keep telling myself "I'll hold on to my iPhone 4S juuuuust a liiiiiittle longer since something new is just around the corner."
It never happens, haha. Full of bad luck. Always waiting. I need to work on my timing.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
That's my problem. I keep telling myself "I'll hold on to my iPhone 4S juuuuust a liiiiiittle longer since something new is just around the corner."
It never happens, haha. Full of bad luck. Always waiting. I need to work on my timing.

I was trying to hold out too with my 4s. I gave up and got a used 928 for 200 to hold me over if/when they release the 929.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I would just get a 928 or 822 used. The waiting game can be annoying at times but that's all dependent upon your mindset. If you are always scanning to forums and websites for any tiny hint of the next big release it seems like an eternity... Or you can just use what you have and go about your life and not fixate on it quite so much. That's the boat I'm in as well. I picked up an 822 probably 6 - 8 months ago off contract to save my upgrade. Is it the phone I really want? No. Am I happy with it? Actually, yeah... I think it's a fine phone for what it is. Not going to win any beauty contests. But I do enjoy the removable battery so I can have extras on hand for trips and such. And expandable storage is also nice.

You should be able to get it cheaper than the 928 and the other benefit is that it will make the 929 (or whatever) seem that much more awesome when you actually do upgrade.

At least that's how I'm looking at it because I've been tempted several times to upgrade to the 928 but in the end... I always convince myself that it's not worth it and just keep waiting for something I actually want or feel truly compelled to buy.

timmpete

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I would just get a 928 or 822 used. The waiting game can be annoying at times but that's all dependent upon your mindset. If you are always scanning to forums and websites for any tiny hint of the next big release it seems like an eternity... Or you can just use what you have and go about your life and not fixate on it quite so much. That's the boat I'm in as well. I picked up an 822 probably 6 - 8 months ago off contract to save my upgrade. Is it the phone I really want? No. Am I happy with it? Actually, yeah... I think it's a fine phone for what it is. Not going to win any beauty contests. But I do enjoy the removable battery so I can have extras on hand for trips and such. And expandable storage is also nice.

You should be able to get it cheaper than the 928 and the other benefit is that it will make the 929 (or whatever) seem that much more awesome when you actually do upgrade.

At least that's how I'm looking at it because I've been tempted several times to upgrade to the 928 but in the end... I always convince myself that it's not worth it and just keep waiting for something I actually want or feel truly compelled to buy.

I purchased a used 822 last night, and expect it (and now that I made that purchase an announcement on the 929) within the week. This will may for my third phone in 2013.

iPhone 4s given to wife to replace her crackberry, Samsung Galaxy Nexus shelved for HTC Arrive due to what was thought to be a phone issue (it was actually Google Voice not allowing any calls to come into my phone), and now the Lumia 822. If the 929 does drop in the next month or so, I will likely have had four different phones over the course of 12 months, a record for me, but I doubt that even makes the leader board.

The removable battery and storage is a huge benefit in my opinion, so now I'll have to go to ebay or Amazon for those and the battery charger.

Anyone on Sprint interested in either the Galaxy Nexus or the Arrive to get you through?

Maanasee Deshmukh

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't believe the hype, the phone isn't coming out until you hear a word from VZ, that's if you hear a word from VZ. Look at how they released the HTC One Max, no preorders or announcements. That's how VZ roles.
I, for one, second that as well. I wouldn't bat an eyelash towards any other rumor about a release date UNLESS Verizon or Nokia tweets about it... Although, I do believe for the HTC One Max, they did tweet about it, but for the Nokia L928, I don't think they really announced it besides like an ad, am I correct?
I'm not sure if Verizon will even tweet about it.... I've heared Verizon in-store reps and chat spokespersons (is that how you describe them?) being real secretive about the 929....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos