02-04-2014 04:06 PM
179 ... 5678
tools
    Whaat? I'm not waiting for this phone at all. But I know many ppl do. What they are waiting for, ppl been talking about this phone since last year (Nov/Dec).. This is not going to lead to anything good, MS going to fail sooner or later. Not because of this device only, but for how they are "working" basically they aren't doing anything. Nokia was the active one, MS going to own it soon..and then what?
    02-01-2014 09:11 PM
    This phone is not likely going to sway many non Nokia /WP users away from their current phones , many of which already have equivalent or better technology.

Windows 8 on the desktop has been a huge flop. Even HP is reintroducing new PCs with windows 7 again to get sales back on track. In fact windows. 8.1x is Microsoft in effect throwing in the towel and admitting that windows 8 was poorly received...so if so many folks already hate windows 8 on their computers then why in hell would they also want that on a smartphone? Most people must realize that not everybody buys computers and tablets and phones for playtime and goofing around with friends and playing games or taking pictures and movies.

Some people actually have to work with legacy software at the office and to be able to function with other businesses that also are using older software that's time tested and reliable. Bleeding is for fools with lots of time on their hands and in business there's no time for bleeding. Let somebody else do that first and prove that their vision is ready for prime time players that can't afford experimenting.

No , the hype on this phone is self induced by the base fan boys and girls ...and there it will likely stay.

People that philosophically hate Google or Apple ...I can understand that but if you think Microsoft is innocent of collecting data from their massive installed PC base you're kidding yourselves.

That argument is a moot argument. Nobody's clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-02-2014 05:15 AM
    This phone is not likely going to sway many non Nokia /WP users away from their current phones , many of which already have equivalent or better technology.

Windows 8 on the desktop has been a huge flop. Even HP is reintroducing new PCs with windows 7 again to get sales back on track. In fact windows. 8.1x is Microsoft in effect throwing in the towel and admitting that windows 8 was poorly received...so if so many folks already hate windows 8 on their computers then why in hell would they also want that on a smartphone? Most people must realize that not everybody buys computers and tablets and phones for playtime and goofing around with friends and playing games or taking pictures and movies.

Some people actually have to work with legacy software at the office and to be able to function with other businesses that also are using older software that's time tested and reliable. Bleeding is for fools with lots of time on their hands and in business there's no time for bleeding. Let somebody else do that first and prove that their vision is ready for prime time players that can't afford experimenting.

No , the hype on this phone is self induced by the base fan boys and girls ...and there it will likely stay.

People that philosophically hate Google or Apple ...I can understand that but if you think Microsoft is innocent of collecting data from their massive installed PC base you're kidding yourselves.

You should probably pull that stick out at some point.
    wintrmte likes this.
    02-02-2014 07:53 AM
    This is true. It is a good time to own a smartphone. The cream of the crop for Android, iOS and Windows Phone are all relatively equivalent.

Windows 8 has sold roughly equivilent numbers of licenses as Windows 7 in the same amount of time, despite a declining overall PC market. Upgrades for Windows 8 were sold at a much higher rate than they were for Windows 7, a first for the company which traditionally had only a 3% upgrade rate. This means that people were intentionally choosing Windows 8, rather than only upgrading as they buy a new PC which was how most upgrades happened in the past.

Yes, the tech press has blasted Windows 8. But as is often the case, the press did not reflect the buying pattern of users.

Good thing Windows 8 works with Windows 7 software just fine then, eh? There were no underlying changes that affected backwards compatibility in this version.

This is likely true. Over the past two years the driver of growth for both Android and WP has been low end phones like the 52x and 62x, not the high end halo models like the 9xx line. WP has been growing at an incredible rate, but again, its been all the low end handsets.

Like most things it is a matter of degrees. All three of the companies have comprehensive privacy policies. Those policies may be violated on occasion but they are legally actionable. Only one of the three majors, however, has a primary profit incentive in changing their policies in ways that compromise user privacy. Microsoft and Apple make their money selling hardware and software. Google makes their money selling their users to advertisers, governments, insurance agencies, banks and others. If privacy is a concern, and admittedly for many it is not, then the choice becomes Apple or Microsoft. For those of us who do not care for iOS, we have a couple alternatives: WP or Cyanogenmod. Which is a good thing. Choice is good.
    02-02-2014 12:33 PM
    Even HP is reintroducing new PCs with windows 7 again to get sales back on track.
    That's factually incorrect. HP has ALWAYS sold Windows 7 devices. That was just a one week ad on their site where 7 devices had a focus. It was simple marketing. Head back to their site today and it's all touchscreen devices and Win 8. Of course, the media (even our own Michael Archambault) was quick to jump on it like it was the death knell of Win 8. No news coverage of them changing it a few days later though. Shocker.

Having said that, the ICON is a really nice device. Modern hardware, feels great in the hand, basically the same size as the 928 but much better build quality and a solid 20 MP PureView camera with Qi wireless charging. It's the 1520 in a smaller, more mainstream package. Not sure if it'll be a smash hit, but for those who want it, they won't be disappointed.

Equivalent or better technology? What's there beyond a Snapdragon 800 for newer tech? How many pocketable phones have a 20 MP camera with good OIS? 32 GB of storage? Qi wireless charging? 1080P display in a 5 inch screen?

I've seen some FUD before, but your comment is either trolling or just plain ignorance about what hardware is actually on the market. Have you taken a photo with the GS4? ******* awful...
    02-03-2014 11:54 AM
    feels great in the hand
    Daniel's got one already, give it to us! Give it to us nooooooooow!
    unstoppablekem likes this.
    02-03-2014 12:21 PM
    Windows 8 on the desktop has been a huge flop. Even HP is reintroducing new PCs with windows 7 again to get sales back on track.
    HPs sales went off track back around Vista. They've been blindly throwing stuff against the wall ever since...
    02-03-2014 12:22 PM
    I don't think Uncle Grandpa is factually wrong. HP may have had Windows 7 without break, but they're certainly renewing marketing around it. Of course, part of that is them looking for a scapegoat - Windows 8 isn't selling laptops, but I don't think it's hurting sales, either. People just have no need to upgrade their laptops as often as they used to, so sales are plummeting.

And Microsoft is absolutely gathering data on us. The difference, to me, is that Google knows so much about me. Microsoft does not. I'd rather numerous companies know a little bit about me rather than one company know more than my girlfriend does. So, Google, I will use your search and I will use your email but no way in hell am I using your browser or either of your operating systems. You need to work if you want to collect all those dots.
    02-03-2014 12:43 PM
    So, Google, I will use your search and I will use your email
    I switched over to outlook.com from Gmail this weekend....it was way easier than I thought.
    02-03-2014 12:51 PM
    I don't think Uncle Grandpa is factually wrong. HP may have had Windows 7 without break, but they're certainly renewing marketing around it. Of course, part of that is them looking for a scapegoat - Windows 8 isn't selling laptops, but I don't think it's hurting sales, either. People just have no need to upgrade their laptops as often as they used to, so sales are plummeting.

And Microsoft is absolutely gathering data on us. The difference, to me, is that Google knows so much about me. Microsoft does not. I'd rather numerous companies know a little bit about me rather than one company know more than my girlfriend does. So, Google, I will use your search and I will use your email but no way in hell am I using your browser or either of your operating systems. You need to work if you want to collect all those dots.
    HP had a one week focus on W7 devices on their site. Now it's gone. Not sure if that really means anything.

Sure, W8 devices aren't saving the industry. Doesn't mean people want W7 ones instead. Rather, it could also mean HP has a lot of W7 devices that they want to offload too? Just saying, the media made waaaay more out of that then what is probably true.
    DustinRyan likes this.
    02-03-2014 02:27 PM
    HP had a one week focus on W7 devices on their site. Now it's gone. Not sure if that really means anything.

Sure, W8 devices aren't saving the industry. Doesn't mean people want W7 ones instead. Rather, it could also mean HP has a lot of W7 devices that they want to offload too? Just saying, the media made waaaay more out of that then what is probably true.
    The sales slowdown on PC's started six quarters before Windows 8 launched. Win8 had nothing to do with it. You are right though, HP likely had a surplus of unsold Win7 devices. As did Dell and Lenovo. Everyone was missing their mark for the past two years.
    02-03-2014 02:33 PM

Yeah, like I said, they're using Windows 8 as a scapegoat, rather than just admitting people are upgrading laptops at a significantly slower pace, which means sales are cratering.
    PC hardware progress has slowed significantly, OSs no longer get as bogged down over time, and people are predominantly just using their PCs for email and web, anyway, both of which they also do on their tablets, which are progressing at lightning speeds.
    No one has any incentive to upgrade their PC hardware, so PC hardware stopped selling. It corresponds with Windows 8 due to coincidence.
    DustinRyan likes this.
    02-03-2014 03:54 PM
    We use over 5000 computers in our campus computer centers and labs including scientific equipment and data analysis centers. Not to mention we also run hundreds of windows based point of sale registers at retail locations on campus ...none of which are used for just email and surfing the Internet and goofing around. They are behind a firewall. Most use specialized software with specific hardware drivers that windows 8 has no solution for.

We did a focus test group on 1000 pcs by loading windows 8 on them and they were overwhelmingly rejected.

Those are real world issues. The world is not just using computers for email and web surfing. Not only did we roll back those windows 8 pcs to windows 7, but we have have no plans whatsoever to introduce windows 8 for at least a couple years.

It's not ready for a lot of prime time business and scientific use. That's just a fact. I agree if all we cared about was checking email and googling all day hell you don't even need a computer for that and just about anything would work.

Windows 8 has hurt sales of business computers and rightly so. People have to work and not worry about driver issues and several of our web apps including payroll and accounting systems don't run well or not at all on IE 11 which eliminates windows 8 right out the chute.

As far as the 929 which nobody at Verizon seems to know anything about ...I'm sure it's going to sell very well.

Last edited by Daniel Rubino; 02-03-2014 at 06:45 PM.
    02-03-2014 04:44 PM
    We use over 5000 computers in our campus computer centers and labs including scientific equipment and data analysis centers. Not to mention we also run hundreds of windows based point of sale registers at retail locations on campus ...none of which are used for just email and surfing the Internet and goofing around. They are behind a firewall. Most use specialized software with specific hardware drivers that windows 8 has no solution for.

We did a focus test group on 1000 pcs by loading windows 8 on them and they were overwhelmingly rejected.

Those are real world issues. The world is not just using computers for email and web surfing. Not only did we roll back those windows 8 pcs to windows 7, but we have have no plans whatsoever to introduce windows 8 for at least a couple years.
    Most corporations and other large managed networks lag a few years behind the consumer market. Windows XP did not gain serious corporate market penetration until Service Pack 2 in 2004, most corporations stuck with Windows 2000. Windows Vista did not achieve serious marketshare until its second service pack, popularly known as Windows 7. It will not surprise me if most corporate clients do not start moving to Windows 8 until Windows 9 is out. This is a normal pattern, and not specific to any individual OS. By waiting corporations permit the consumer market to work out the problems, and reduce their training overhead since consumers will essentially be training themselves at home.

It's not ready for a lot of prime time business and scientific use. That's just a fact. I agree if all we cared about was checking email and googling all day hell you don't even need a computer for that and just about anything would work.

Windows 8 has hurt sales of business computers and rightly so. People have to work and not worry about driver issues and several of our web apps including payroll and accounting systems don't run well or not at all on IE 11 which eliminates windows 8 right out the chute.
    Windows 8 has had zero impact on business sales. Business buyers have the right to downgrade to Windows 7, and in fact most corporate computers are immediately imaged to a corporate supported image of the OS that is supported in the configuration they support immediately upon receipt. Preinstalled OS means nothing in corporate environments.

The market is slowing because upgrade cycles are slowing in general. They are slowing for phones too, interestingly enough...
    02-03-2014 05:22 PM
    ^This. This pattern is nothing new in the business PC world, going back even to DOS->Win 3.x and Win3.x->Win95. What is new is the saturation of desktops in the enterprise and the improved "durability" of the desktop/notebook hardware. I'm even taking this transition period to evaluate where - if at all - I can pull back on desktop/notebook installs in favor of a lighter weight tablet.
    02-03-2014 06:26 PM
    I don't know of any major institutions that are 'testing' Windows 8. If anything, the push is to get on to 7 now. Pretty sure that's normal for IT departments.

Filing UncleGrandpa under 'doesn't know what they're talking about/FUD/' and will ignore their posts...

As far as the 929 which nobody at Verizon seems to know anything about ...I'm sure it's going to sell very well.

This right here wins 'dumbest thing I've read all day'. Yes, yes...it's super common for Verizon to pre-announce phones, build up advertising and hype for a phone not out yet and train staff on a phone with no due date.
    02-03-2014 06:45 PM

Grandpa...what many people fail to realize (because they are too lazy to research it) is that Windows 8 is designed to work with a touch screen. So if you take a bunch of non-touch screen desktops on campus and pop in W8 of course it's going to be a poor user experience. Before I purchased my latest laptop, I did my research and the overwhelming consensus was, "Do not buy a W8 computer unless you get one with a touch screen". I did and couldn't be happier.
    02-04-2014 07:53 AM
    Stop responding to the troll... holy crap guys how long have you been on the internet? If you feed them they will keep returning.
    02-04-2014 08:31 AM
    Do you seriously think that folks who work 8 hours day behind a computer at work are going to be using touch screen computers doing payroll, accounting and HR work? Ever try using the desktop interface (which most legacy business apps have to run in) on a touch screen without the use of a mouse or keyboard? Its laughable. If you're going to need a mouse and keyboard, and the desktop...to do your job, touchscreens are useless and will continue to be for a long time.

Keep in mind that most business apps don't adapt to the latest OS until years after they launch. We still have apps that require XP (like 95% of all ATM machines)....yeah...the real world is where I live and have to deal with.

I personally like 8.1 for your information...but we can't use it in my world...the one that pays the bills....not for a very long time anyway.
    02-04-2014 08:42 AM
    Stop responding to the troll... holy crap guys how long have you been on the internet? If you feed them they will keep returning.
    Some people do it for sport. Some do it for entertainment.
    02-04-2014 09:08 AM
    I don't know of any major institutions that are 'testing' Windows 8. If anything, the push is to get on to 7 now. Pretty sure that's normal for IT departments.

Filing UncleGrandpa under 'doesn't know what they're talking about/FUD/' and will ignore their posts...

This right here wins 'dumbest thing I've read all day'. Yes, yes...it's super common for Verizon to pre-announce phones, build up advertising and hype for a phone not out yet and train staff on a phone with no due date.
    Can we, at a minimum, agree that Verizon has demonstrated a serious lack of marketing wisdom by squandering the void of flagship chatter between Thanksgiving and MWC? They have, by their complete lack of communication about the 929, allowed the hype and excitement to turn to frustration and apathy for many. The result will be the ultimate release of a good phone that will be completely CRUSHED in the wave of media and releases from Samsung, HTC, Apple and LG from MWC until August. This will further perpetuate the stereotype that WP, with 2013 specs in tow, can't compete. How is it possible that all of the major players can at least provide an official, or at least semi-official time line for their handsets but Nokia or Verizon can't seem to even give us anything concrete about a phone that is already in the hands of some?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    Tjarren likes this.
    02-04-2014 10:02 AM
    We've started the Win8 (not 8.1) deployment to our 22K workstations, which currently run Vista.
    02-04-2014 10:55 AM
    Watch calling someone a troll....even though they deserve it, they will give a warning on this site for calling someone a Troll.... I normally give them a link to what is called a troll so they can see if they are actually being one.... I got a warning on this site one time for calling someone a troll (who clearly deserved it)..

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
    Zippier likes this.
    02-04-2014 11:11 AM
    Verizon is doing something today...

Try this URL: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=7zv4vLCB
    and then try any other URL like https://forums.windowscentral.com/e?...token=IS2MNVjO

Different landing pages.

edit: hmm lets try the URL's again....
    02-04-2014 11:35 AM
    Verizon is doing something today...

Try this URL: Set Your Location
    and then try any other URL like Set Your Location

Different landing pages.

edit: hmm lets try the URL's again....
    Nada for me.... Hopefully tomorrows the day :)
    02-04-2014 12:15 PM
179 ... 5678