Lumia 929 release date now Dec 6

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Id never change carriers because of hardware. That's crazy. What good is it if you can't use it everywhere?

This 929 thing is amusing. I don't recall a phone being anticipated in the way this one is.

Samsung is rumored to have a 5" WP coming out and they won't mess around and Verizon seems to love samsung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Switching carriers for a phone is nuts. If you never leave the city then maybe the service will be ok , but the first time your out in the boonies on a road trip or whatever and you need service you'll be cursing ATT for their lack of it. Ive been with friends in the mountains and guess who had service? Me on Verizon. The ATT folks had zilch. I prefer the peace of mind of having service if needed over having some piece of tech you'll grow tired of over the term of your new contract.
Having said this, I considered trying the 1520 myself. I was going to get one and use the prepaid service and keep my Verizon acct active and compare service. The only reason I didn't is the ATT store had no 1520's on launch day. LAME! But I'm glad because I know what id end up with now, crappy subpar service in my travels on back road America. But anyone thinking of jumping ship from Verizon I suggest you test drive the network over there for a month or so. Then decide. Don't throw away your Verizon GF UL or anything else without a test drive first. Just sayin', be smart about it.

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Switching carriers for a phone is nuts. If you never leave the city then maybe the service will be ok , but the first time your out in the boonies on a road trip or whatever and you need service you'll be cursing ATT for their lack of it. Ive been with friends in the mountains and guess who had service? Me on Verizon. The ATT folks had zilch. I prefer the peace of mind of having service if needed over having some piece of tech you'll grow tired of over the term of your new contract.
Having said this, I considered trying the 1520 myself. I was going to get one and use the prepaid service and keep my Verizon acct active and compare service. The only reason I didn't is the ATT store had no 1520's on launch day. LAME! But I'm glad because I know what id end up with now, crappy subpar service in my travels on back road America. But anyone thinking of jumping ship from Verizon I suggest you test drive the network over there for a month or so. Then decide. Don't throw away your Verizon GF UL or anything else without a test drive first. Just sayin', be smart about it.

You couldn't have said it any better. I know most of you probably live in big cities and will never have any issues inside city limits on any carrier but for someone like me that lives in Southern Indiana, there's nothing but cornfields and small towns. Big city's are hours away in any direction. Verizon's service is unmatched around here, so like uncle grandpa said up above, doesn't matter how good your phone is if you can't use it.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using WPCentral Forums mobile app

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
3 words, I hate verizon
I'm not in love with them either. Don't care for the power company, water utility, Cox cable or dish satellite either and my trash pickup provider either. However, Verizon does provide the best cellular coverage service in the U.S. tho so I can have a love/hate relationship and we can get along in that regard.
EDIT: forgot to mention the oil companies, I really hate them, but need the service they provide also.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
You couldn't have said it any better. I know most of you probably live in big cities and will never have any issues inside city limits on any carrier but for someone like me that lives in Southern Indiana, there's nothing but cornfields and small towns. Big city's are hours away in any direction. Verizon's service is unmatched around here, so like uncle grandpa said up above, doesn't matter how good your phone is if you can't use it.

Incremental, I just visited Linton, IN (not quite southern) this weekend for a holiday get-together and was overjoyed with how well my 928 worked down there. I was getting faster speeds than the people using the internet service at the home we were staying at. That said, I agree with you, cbreze and Uncle Grandpa, I may not have the "best" phone being offered out there but I have a more than adequate device on a carrier that offers great service.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Id never change carriers because of hardware. That's crazy. What good is it if you can't use it everywhere?

This 929 thing is amusing. I don't recall a phone being anticipated in the way this one is.

Samsung is rumored to have a 5" WP coming out and they won't mess around and Verizon seems to love samsung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah but there is something about Nokia phones

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Incremental, I just visited Linton, IN (not quite southern) this weekend for a holiday get-together and was overjoyed with how well my 928 worked down there. I was getting faster speeds than the people using the internet service at the home we were staying at. That said, I agree with you, cbreze and Uncle Grandpa, I may not have the "best" phone being offered out there but I have a more than adequate device on a carrier that offers great service.

Yeah I've been through Linton before, Sry u had to experience Indiana lol so boring. But yes Verizon's service is awesome. Around here were so much out in the boonies there's really no good internet service providers either with a good speed so I always tether off my cell phone when downloading big updates or games on my consoles. With Verizon's 4G I usually average around 20mb DL and 13mb UL at my house. I've even seen outstanding numbers before, check the pic out.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Not bad.. here is mine (not even the best I've gotten, just most recent)
Screenshot_2013-11-02-18-18-58_zpsecfbf274.png

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Those speeds you guys are getting are amazing. Faster than a lot of home internet. Some pretty uncrowded rural towers no doubt.
I decided to pass on the 929 and picked up an HTC ONE. Very very happy with it. I also have my surface 2 for my windows experience, so best of both. Might check out a WP later down the road.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I just picked up a 928 with a slightly cracked screen for cheap on eBay to tide me over until the 929 or its equivalent. Not giving up unlimited data though.
Generally I'd say that Verizon is focused on the network while AT&T is focused on the devices. True, VZW has fallen behind a bit this past year but I think they will come back with a vengeance shortly.

Out of curiosity, how cheap? I've thought about doing the same, as my Trophy's limitations are really irking me.

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually my speedtest was done in downtown New Orleans. We just have excellent LTE coverage in South Louisiana.

Not bad for a city where ur suppose to have good coverage lol. Mine came from my house in a town of population of 1200. So very little traffic. Those are good speeds man, u gotta be happy with that. I love mine, it basically acts as my home internet that's why VZW will have to pry my unlimited data from me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans