Lumia 929 release date now Dec 6

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
HP had a one week focus on W7 devices on their site. Now it's gone. Not sure if that really means anything.

Sure, W8 devices aren't saving the industry. Doesn't mean people want W7 ones instead. Rather, it could also mean HP has a lot of W7 devices that they want to offload too? Just saying, the media made waaaay more out of that then what is probably true.

The sales slowdown on PC's started six quarters before Windows 8 launched. Win8 had nothing to do with it. You are right though, HP likely had a surplus of unsold Win7 devices. As did Dell and Lenovo. Everyone was missing their mark for the past two years.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
HP had a one week focus on W7 devices on their site. Now it's gone. Not sure if that really means anything.

Sure, W8 devices aren't saving the industry. Doesn't mean people want W7 ones instead. Rather, it could also mean HP has a lot of W7 devices that they want to offload too? Just saying, the media made waaaay more out of that then what is probably true.

Yeah, like I said, they're using Windows 8 as a scapegoat, rather than just admitting people are upgrading laptops at a significantly slower pace, which means sales are cratering.
PC hardware progress has slowed significantly, OSs no longer get as bogged down over time, and people are predominantly just using their PCs for email and web, anyway, both of which they also do on their tablets, which are progressing at lightning speeds.
No one has any incentive to upgrade their PC hardware, so PC hardware stopped selling. It corresponds with Windows 8 due to coincidence.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
We use over 5000 computers in our campus computer centers and labs including scientific equipment and data analysis centers. Not to mention we also run hundreds of windows based point of sale registers at retail locations on campus ...none of which are used for just email and surfing the Internet and goofing around. They are behind a firewall. Most use specialized software with specific hardware drivers that windows 8 has no solution for.

We did a focus test group on 1000 pcs by loading windows 8 on them and they were overwhelmingly rejected.

Those are real world issues. The world is not just using computers for email and web surfing. Not only did we roll back those windows 8 pcs to windows 7, but we have have no plans whatsoever to introduce windows 8 for at least a couple years.

It's not ready for a lot of prime time business and scientific use. That's just a fact. I agree if all we cared about was checking email and googling all day hell you don't even need a computer for that and just about anything would work.

Windows 8 has hurt sales of business computers and rightly so. People have to work and not worry about driver issues and several of our web apps including payroll and accounting systems don't run well or not at all on IE 11 which eliminates windows 8 right out the chute.

As far as the 929 which nobody at Verizon seems to know anything about ...I'm sure it's going to sell very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
We use over 5000 computers in our campus computer centers and labs including scientific equipment and data analysis centers. Not to mention we also run hundreds of windows based point of sale registers at retail locations on campus ...none of which are used for just email and surfing the Internet and goofing around. They are behind a firewall. Most use specialized software with specific hardware drivers that windows 8 has no solution for.

We did a focus test group on 1000 pcs by loading windows 8 on them and they were overwhelmingly rejected.

Those are real world issues. The world is not just using computers for email and web surfing. Not only did we roll back those windows 8 pcs to windows 7, but we have have no plans whatsoever to introduce windows 8 for at least a couple years.
Most corporations and other large managed networks lag a few years behind the consumer market. Windows XP did not gain serious corporate market penetration until Service Pack 2 in 2004, most corporations stuck with Windows 2000. Windows Vista did not achieve serious marketshare until its second service pack, popularly known as Windows 7. It will not surprise me if most corporate clients do not start moving to Windows 8 until Windows 9 is out. This is a normal pattern, and not specific to any individual OS. By waiting corporations permit the consumer market to work out the problems, and reduce their training overhead since consumers will essentially be training themselves at home.

It's not ready for a lot of prime time business and scientific use. That's just a fact. I agree if all we cared about was checking email and googling all day hell you don't even need a computer for that and just about anything would work.

Windows 8 has hurt sales of business computers and rightly so. People have to work and not worry about driver issues and several of our web apps including payroll and accounting systems don't run well or not at all on IE 11 which eliminates windows 8 right out the chute.
Windows 8 has had zero impact on business sales. Business buyers have the right to downgrade to Windows 7, and in fact most corporate computers are immediately imaged to a corporate supported image of the OS that is supported in the configuration they support immediately upon receipt. Preinstalled OS means nothing in corporate environments.

The market is slowing because upgrade cycles are slowing in general. They are slowing for phones too, interestingly enough...

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
^This. This pattern is nothing new in the business PC world, going back even to DOS->Win 3.x and Win3.x->Win95. What is new is the saturation of desktops in the enterprise and the improved "durability" of the desktop/notebook hardware. I'm even taking this transition period to evaluate where - if at all - I can pull back on desktop/notebook installs in favor of a lighter weight tablet.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I don't know of any major institutions that are 'testing' Windows 8. If anything, the push is to get on to 7 now. Pretty sure that's normal for IT departments.

Filing UncleGrandpa under 'doesn't know what they're talking about/FUD/' and will ignore their posts...

As far as the 929 which nobody at Verizon seems to know anything about ...I'm sure it's going to sell very well.

This right here wins 'dumbest thing I've read all day'. Yes, yes...it's super common for Verizon to pre-announce phones, build up advertising and hype for a phone not out yet and train staff on a phone with no due date.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

Grandpa...what many people fail to realize (because they are too lazy to research it) is that Windows 8 is designed to work with a touch screen. So if you take a bunch of non-touch screen desktops on campus and pop in W8 of course it's going to be a poor user experience. Before I purchased my latest laptop, I did my research and the overwhelming consensus was, "Do not buy a W8 computer unless you get one with a touch screen". I did and couldn't be happier.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Stop responding to the troll... holy crap guys how long have you been on the internet? If you feed them they will keep returning.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you seriously think that folks who work 8 hours day behind a computer at work are going to be using touch screen computers doing payroll, accounting and HR work? Ever try using the desktop interface (which most legacy business apps have to run in) on a touch screen without the use of a mouse or keyboard? Its laughable. If you're going to need a mouse and keyboard, and the desktop...to do your job, touchscreens are useless and will continue to be for a long time.

Keep in mind that most business apps don't adapt to the latest OS until years after they launch. We still have apps that require XP (like 95% of all ATM machines)....yeah...the real world is where I live and have to deal with.

I personally like 8.1 for your information...but we can't use it in my world...the one that pays the bills....not for a very long time anyway.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't know of any major institutions that are 'testing' Windows 8. If anything, the push is to get on to 7 now. Pretty sure that's normal for IT departments.

Filing UncleGrandpa under 'doesn't know what they're talking about/FUD/' and will ignore their posts...

This right here wins 'dumbest thing I've read all day'. Yes, yes...it's super common for Verizon to pre-announce phones, build up advertising and hype for a phone not out yet and train staff on a phone with no due date.

Can we, at a minimum, agree that Verizon has demonstrated a serious lack of marketing wisdom by squandering the void of flagship chatter between Thanksgiving and MWC? They have, by their complete lack of communication about the 929, allowed the hype and excitement to turn to frustration and apathy for many. The result will be the ultimate release of a good phone that will be completely CRUSHED in the wave of media and releases from Samsung, HTC, Apple and LG from MWC until August. This will further perpetuate the stereotype that WP, with 2013 specs in tow, can't compete. How is it possible that all of the major players can at least provide an official, or at least semi-official time line for their handsets but Nokia or Verizon can't seem to even give us anything concrete about a phone that is already in the hands of some?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Stop responding to the troll... holy crap guys how long have you been on the internet? If you feed them they will keep returning.

Watch calling someone a troll....even though they deserve it, they will give a warning on this site for calling someone a Troll.... I normally give them a link to what is called a troll so they can see if they are actually being one.... I got a warning on this site one time for calling someone a troll (who clearly deserved it)..

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Do you seriously think that folks who work 8 hours day behind a computer at work are going to be using touch screen computers doing payroll, accounting and HR work? Ever try using the desktop interface (which most legacy business apps have to run in) on a touch screen without the use of a mouse or keyboard? Its laughable. If you're going to need a mouse and keyboard, and the desktop...to do your job, touchscreens are useless and will continue to be for a long time.

Keep in mind that most business apps don't adapt to the latest OS until years after they launch. We still have apps that require XP (like 95% of all ATM machines)....yeah...the real world is where I live and have to deal with.

I personally like 8.1 for your information...but we can't use it in my world...the one that pays the bills....not for a very long time anyway.

The reason what you are doing is considered trolling is that when the points you raise are responded to you ignore them and reiterate your original statements without actually acknowledging that they were responded to. You obviously have no interest in an honest discussion, and at least on this topic can be safely ignored until you choose to engage others on the points you raised constructively.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
We've started the Win8 (not 8.1) deployment to our 22K workstations, which currently run Vista. :shocked:

My organization has a internal closed beta for Win8 going on as well. I do not know when the rollout is coming, but we have over 100k employees so it will be quite large.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss