Codename: Icon

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
@Evleaks tweeted today that the Nokia Lumia 929's codename is "Icon." I have no idea why that's significant or why we're hearing the codename of a device after several leaks have already surfaced. But, whatever. There's something fun about knowing these codenames.

evleaksicon.png

kbilly70

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I saw this too and found it strange he tweeted now after so many leaks already. But it is cool to know.

I use Verizon for my personal line and am dying to get my hands on this phone. I passed on the 928 as I have a 920 for my business line so was wanting more of an upgrade and the 929 looks almost perfect.

Hoping to finally convert my wife and son to WP with it as well.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Booyah photobombed the tweet screenshot!

In other news, yeah I also find it odd that the codename is being mentioned only now. But if the meaning is "icon" like a representation of virtue and such and not like an icon on a screen, then that would be pretty ambitious.

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Idk why everyone has such a problem with the names that Nokia uses. I always read this everywhere and people make a big deal of it and I just laugh. NOT SAYING YOU GUYS ARE just stating a point. I guess no one else has taste for good cars, "think" BMW or Mercedes on their numbering series.

Hell look at Porsche they even have a 929, 928, 911, 959. That's why I just laugh when I read tons of comments about Nokia's numbering system. Cause when I hear the 929 I think Porsche. No one ever made a big deal the way they named their cars.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Idk why everyone has such a problem with the names that Nokia uses. I always read this everywhere and people make a big deal of it and I just laugh. NOT SAYING YOU GUYS ARE just stating a point. I guess no one else has taste for good cars, "think" BMW or Mercedes on their numbering series.

Hell look at Porsche they even have a 929, 928, 911, 959. That's why I just laugh when I read tons of comments about Nokia's numbering system. Cause when I hear the 929 I think Porsche. No one ever made a big deal the way they named their cars.

I don't really have a problem with the numbers... But Verizon has done plenty with its design requests to make VZW Lumias different from all other Lumias. Why not change up the name too. I think Icon is a sharp name.

It's not happening, it won't happen.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
There must be a bunch of unsold 928s sitting on shelves yet. Having said that, it's hard to imagine not getting the new model out in time for Xmas shoppers which is well underway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
There must be a bunch of unsold 928s sitting on shelves yet. Having said that, it's hard to imagine not getting the new model out in time for Xmas shoppers which is well underway.
928 is a crap device with ugly look and micro USB at top. Thats why it is on the shelves. 929 will be a huge hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site

Not a great analogy. Cars keep their names and just attach a model year to it. Once a buyer falls in love with a vehicle, they know that the Porsche 911 will still be the 911 in 2 years when they want another one. It will just be the 2014 edition of the 911 if they bought theirs in 2012.

Phones come out by the dozens. Each Nokia is bumped up in numbers, and the numbers are close on each carrier or international versions, even if they are different. If this is truly the L929 when it comes out, it is completely different from the L920, L928, whatever. How is the "casual" phone user supposed to know it is different? There was a L900.... what the crud ever happened to the L910 series?

For those of us who follow tech, no sweat. We know the difference. But the numbers are confusing, and sales reps don't often understand the differences.

It really isn't a huge deal, but it is just one more thing that WP doesn't need to contend with.

Not that any device maker really gets it right. Samsung slaps "Galaxy" on everything now, so everyone thinks they are getting top end devices even if they are mid-range. HTC "ONE" series does the same thing. ONE V.... ONE S.... ONE S++++ or whatever. Quick- name any of the LG Optimus series devices. Just confusing. Now LG has gone to a different naming scheme (G2, the upcoming Flex), lets see how that works.

Be very interesting to see how Microsoft does this once the Nokia name goes away. I am hoping they use "Lumia" as the brand name and keeps their name off of the next wave of phones.

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Not a great analogy. Cars keep their names and just attach a model year to it. Once a buyer falls in love with a vehicle, they know that the Porsche 911 will still be the 911 in 2 years when they want another one. It will just be the 2014 edition of the 911 if they bought theirs in 2012.

Phones come out by the dozens. Each Nokia is bumped up in numbers, and the numbers are close on each carrier or international versions, even if they are different. If this is truly the L929 when it comes out, it is completely different from the L920, L928, whatever. How is the "casual" phone user supposed to know it is different? There was a L900.... what the crud ever happened to the L910 series?

For those of us who follow tech, no sweat. We know the difference. But the numbers are confusing, and sales reps don't often understand the differences.

It really isn't a huge deal, but it is just one more thing that WP doesn't need to contend with.

Not that any device maker really gets it right. Samsung slaps "Galaxy" on everything now, so everyone thinks they are getting top end devices even if they are mid-range. HTC "ONE" series does the same thing. ONE V.... ONE S.... ONE S++++ or whatever. Quick- name any of the LG Optimus series devices. Just confusing. Now LG has gone to a different naming scheme (G2, the upcoming Flex), lets see how that works.

Be very interesting to see how Microsoft does this once the Nokia name goes away. I am hoping they use "Lumia" as the brand name and keeps their name off of the next wave of phones.

I agree somewhat to what ur saying, I was basically just saying there was similarities with the naming. I also read a while back around when Microsoft was gonna purchase Nokia that the new name would be Newkia. Idk how solid it is but I remember reading that somewhere.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree somewhat to what ur saying, I was basically just saying there was similarities with the naming. I also read a while back around when Microsoft was gonna purchase Nokia that the new name would be Newkia. Idk how solid it is but I remember reading that somewhere.

Not solid... At all... Why would they do that? No...

INCREMENTAL

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Not solid... At all... Why would they do that? No...

Ok done some digging around and what I found is the former CEO of Nokia finds Newkia, he is also trying to I guess gather up some Nokia employees and focus on making Android phones.

So it looks like I was mixed up about something else but I just remember reading about Nokia and Newkia.

Long story short a former CEO from Nokia founded Newkia and wants to make Android phones and take some Nokia employees with him. Here's a Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?site=&....0...1c..32.mobile-gws-hp..0.1.51.tKWC1_XisZI

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I saw the tweet earlier as well. Interesting. I'm glad that there's still 929 leaks and rumors going around, even if the device is postponed. It gives me hope that the device isn't being shelved completely, or maybe has a chance at being released after some revisions like the naming, instead of being pushed too far into 8.1 release territory.

EDIT: Heyoooo, this just in: http://www.windowscentral.com/verizon-lumia-929-to-be-called-lumia-icon

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Just edited my post above with the link, looks like we were posting at the same time. I got so excited to see 929 news, haha.

Also, interesting to note in that post that Daniel lists the white version as glossy.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Looks like indistinguishable told Daniel about the glossy white error, and Daniel edited the article to say it's matte white.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss