New to windows phone

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the rambling! Didn't mean to make this post as long as I did.
Lol...
I should rename myself to the "Rambler" :grin:

There are some really well written applications for the Windows phone.
Quite a few of us are much more concerned with quantity.
I'm thinking if MS and Nokia stay strong with their app selections a higher number of quality apps will follow.
Goes without saying (even though I'm typing it):
Less quantity more quality.
...ramble...ramble... :winktongue:

Bartdog

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I think the app gap we have now is with the smaller local companies like my local tv station and a couple of nightspots that for some reason think they need their own app. if you're into mobile photography I don't think you'll go wrong. Also, check out photosynth. I've had it for a long time, but haven't played with it for a while. Saw a recent article just gushing over it yesterday.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
So I am currently an Android user, but looking to switch to my first WP. I have been waiting for the 929 since I first saw it and I am kinda excited about it. I was wondering what kind of experiences people had when they made the switch. Also what some of your favorite apps are. I mainly use my phone for camera (hence why I want to make the switch), phone calls (can't wait to get rid of terrible reception from s3), sports updates (hockey) and some facebooking. I am not a huge gamer on the phone but I occasionally play some to kill time.
Also I love the fact that when I went into a Verizon store they were trying to steer me away from a WP, but they had nothing to say except the app store is small.

To answer your post correctly:
1. Camera apps are awesome on Nokia phone along with the camera itself.
2. Call quality and signal reception is beyond what my LG Nexus 4 and Samsung Galaxy could muster at home and office. All the Nokia's I have owned - 521, 810, 822, 925 pick up two bars at least where the Androids would manage zero bars:) Speaker phone functionality and quality of the speakers is also much better than the two Androids I have owned.
3. ESPN Hub should take care of your sports score needs
4. Facebook and Facebook Beta are both quite good. On Android FB was so nauseating with auto updates that I resorted to using the mobile browser version. I like the WP FB experience much better. You can actually get your FB updates directly in the People hub without even installing the FB app, it is that good for WP.
5. Good games are becoming available day by day but not for free. However, I'd rather pay a bit and enjoy a few good games without any ads in them any day.

Hope this helps and yes the 929 is a pretty good phone to have.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this, but if you are a tinkerer then you will probably grow bored with WP. I've been using Android since the original Droid and I've switched to the Lumia 920 twice, but eventually returning both due to boredom/lack of apps (at the time). I REALLY want to get away from Android...that's why I went with the L920 twice, but I realized just how much control you have over your phone with Android once I got away from it.

I'm going to try again with the L929/Icon when it comes out. I'm hoping the latest updates, gain in apps and new HD screen will keep me with WP this time. Just keep these things in mind before the switch though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm surprised that no one mentioned this, but if you are a tinkerer then you will probably grow bored with WP. I've been using Android since the original Droid and I've switched to the Lumia 920 twice, but eventually returning both due to boredom/lack of apps (at the time). I REALLY want to get away from Android...that's why I went with the L920 twice, but I realized just how much control you have over your phone with Android once I got away from it.

I'm going to try again with the L929/Icon when it comes out. I'm hoping the latest updates, gain in apps and new HD screen will keep me with WP this time. Just keep these things in mind before the switch though.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

^Have to agree with ya there mate, Android offers an almost unparalleled amount of customisability; if you know what you're doing all the time Android can be VERY powerful and often better when you root and customise your phone, however if you don't often it can confuse people. I see WP as in between iOS and Android - iOS being pretty static and Android being really flexible in terms of UE

boarderland

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Well I just jumped into Windows mobile (Phone + RT) with both feet a couple days ago. I'll be gad to share my impressions, but I hope the hard core fans don't flame me too bad! I use windows 7 at work, and had used BB phone for work and Ipad for personal use. I didn't like IOS, and wanted a consistent experience across platforms. I bought a 928 and 2520 (as I said, I went all in).

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

The good:
Although I was waiting for the 929 (so my phone wouldn't be outdated, and would run new freatures like Cortana next year better), I gave up and bought a Lumia 928. It is awesome! exactly what i was looking for. fast, clean, does the core things I want (phone, browser, camera, Pandora) really well, and I don't want a million apps on my phone (not a knock on the number of MS apps, just a statement of what I'm looking for in a phone).

The Bad: (well not really, but for the sake of the theme)
2520 is mixed. The hardward is great. Screen is amazing and the tablet is very fast. That said, I (perhaps naively) wanted to have "near laptop ability", and I don't think this will get me there. Unlike the phone, I think RT is a little lacking. Some web pages don't load properly, YouTube app isn't great, etc. Again, nothing against Nokia, just not what I'll probably end up with. I'll probably return for more of a true "2 in 1", lika a Sony Vaio or Lenovo product. (although very hard to get GPS and 4G). Also, on the phone (Amber update), some of the Amber features don'e seem to work. MS store couldn't help.

The Ugly:
One thing I hated about IOS was that it was very "controlling". It has a very "we knnow what is best for you" mentality, that I didn't like. This seems to carry over to Microsoft. When I got my phone it asked my for a profile, and since I think it shouldn't matter, I entered a bunch of BS (like the current date as my birth date). It turns out this info is used for everything, and I was unable to purchase apps, or really use my phone properly. After messing with it for a coupel days, I finally drove to a MS store. They said I had to completely wipe the phone. That is really messed up! On top of which, I did something I've never done, and read the MS user policies. They have the right to retain and share all your data (yes, it's in there). That's also really messed up. Mostly likely I'll stick with it, as I know google is just as bad, but I find it ironic given the MS "Scroogled" campaign.

Hopefully I can find a "2 in 1" tablet / laptop (any suggestions?) that will solve some of these issues.

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I just jumped into Windows mobile (Phone + RT) with both feet a couple days ago. I'll be gad to share my impressions, but I hope the hard core fans don't flame me too bad! I use windows 7 at work, and had used BB phone for work and Ipad for personal use. I didn't like IOS, and wanted a consistent experience across platforms. I bought a 928 and 2520 (as I said, I went all in).

The good, the bad, and the ugly...

The good:
Although I was waiting for the 929 (so my phone wouldn't be outdated, and would run new freatures like Cortana next year better), I gave up and bought a Lumia 928. It is awesome! exactly what i was looking for. fast, clean, does the core things I want (phone, browser, camera, Pandora) really well, and I don't want a million apps on my phone (not a knock on the number of MS apps, just a statement of what I'm looking for in a phone).

The Bad: (well not really, but for the sake of the theme)
2520 is mixed. The hardward is great. Screen is amazing and the tablet is very fast. That said, I (perhaps naively) wanted to have "near laptop ability", and I don't think this will get me there. Unlike the phone, I think RT is a little lacking. Some web pages don't load properly, YouTube app isn't great, etc. Again, nothing against Nokia, just not what I'll probably end up with. I'll probably return for more of a true "2 in 1", lika a Sony Vaio or Lenovo product. (although very hard to get GPS and 4G). Also, on the phone (Amber update), some of the Amber features don'e seem to work. MS store couldn't help.

The Ugly:
One thing I hated about IOS was that it was very "controlling". It has a very "we knnow what is best for you" mentality, that I didn't like. This seems to carry over to Microsoft. When I got my phone it asked my for a profile, and since I think it shouldn't matter, I entered a bunch of BS (like the current date as my birth date). It turns out this info is used for everything, and I was unable to purchase apps, or really use my phone properly. After messing with it for a coupel days, I finally drove to a MS store. They said I had to completely wipe the phone. That is really messed up! On top of which, I did something I've never done, and read the MS user policies. They have the right to retain and share all your data (yes, it's in there). That's also really messed up. Mostly likely I'll stick with it, as I know google is just as bad, but I find it ironic given the MS "Scroogled" campaign.

Hopefully I can find a "2 in 1" tablet / laptop (any suggestions?) that will solve some of these issues.

Thanks for the feedback! I've been waiting for the 929, too, but I think I'm gonna pick up a 928 this weekend. Tired of waiting and my Android phone has been terrible lately (last night it locked on me multiple times doing very basic tasks).

Please let us know of the 2-in-1 tablet/laptop that you pick up. I know the Surface Pro 2 has been getting very good reviews, and I've personally looked at it a lot. The only thing for me that holds me back is the price. I know there are other options out there, too, but I'm not sure how good they are. Let us know what you come up with, though! There are other section of this forum where you can find good info on tablets/laptops, if you wanna check them out.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
On top of which, I did something I've never done, and read the MS user policies. They have the right to retain and share all your data (yes, it's in there). That's also really messed up. Mostly likely I'll stick with it, as I know google is just as bad, but I find it ironic given the MS "Scroogled" campaign.
Yeah, anyone buying into the Scroogled campaign is looking through rose-colored glasses. While MS may not use your information as liberally and deviantly as Google, they do analyze it and parse it out as part of "improving user experience." Every tech company that provides a service data mines. It makes money, period.

thelegendarcy

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
WP Marketplace(appstore) may only got few apps compared to android but to tell you, several of those "few apps" are legit QUALITY apps. And some of apps are better than first-party apps, in terms of both functionality and design.

you can use ESPN scorecenter for your hockey needs.

Facebook beta for your facebooking(since facebook beta receives more updates than the Facebook app and both are from Microsoft as well)

for your camera needs you can use nokia camera apps which is built-in to lumia series.

cwbcpa71

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a 928 to try and use WP again. I have been using a Moto X as my daily driver for a few weeks and before that I was using a Note 2 and an iPhone 5 about equal use on each. I bought the 928 because I had an 822 a few months ago and had made a 30 day commitment to WP. I truly enjoyed the experience. I was able to find every app I used on Android or an alternative that served the same purpose. There were only a couple things that bothered me: lack of notifications and the lack of control over files. The more I thought about those two things the more I wondered if 30 days wasn't long enough to find ways of dealing with those issues. The notifications issue will more than likely go away with 8.1, but even so I think I could have used live tiles better to minimize the need for it. The file issue was blown out of proportion in my case anyway. I won't get into the details, but I think I solved my issue with sharing files. I just didn't understand something.

All that being said, I am going to use the 928 because I truly like the WP experience and Nokia makes a very well made phone. My Moto X is one of the best phones in the hand and is a great experience. The 928 is right there with it. I truly enjoy carrying and using the phone. I am holding on to both for now. I am getting better at using the 928 camera and boy does it take a great picture. I want to see if I can do it better this time with WP. I want to support the platform and see where it goes. I can only see it continuing to get better with time. Hopefully that time frame is shortened with hardware and software under the same roof. We will see.

trandz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
the app store argument at this point is moot. Yes a year + ago, it was a concern, not anymore. Not only does WP have all the apps, or at least equivalent of the random ones the WP versions to me are 100x better. Their more fluid, look wayyyyy nicer to

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6