Yet ANOTHER delay???

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think the Icon will change that perception.

I did that exact thing, almost!!! I switched to AT&T, got the 1020, then returned/swapped it for the 1520. I could not be happier! If you are a Windows Phone nerd like me, then AT&T is the place to be. Windows Phones will always be the neglected, red-headed stepchildren of Verizon Wireless.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you've noticed this, but the Icon is one of the reasons we're having this discussion. It's not changing the opinion that Verizon doesn't give a crap about WP. It's feeding it.

you can trust that I know which forum I'm in.

shortly VZW will have *the best* winphone available (except for the massive-phablet devotees or cameraheads). that's something I don't think they've previously been able to say. apple, Sammy, htc, and moto don't really have anything new for them to celebrate. I'll bet they promote this like they've promoted no other winphone. it took them four months to promote the droid maxx and I think they realized that was a mistake.

I'm annoyed as anyone at the delay - I picked up a 928 on ebay to tide me over for a couple of months. I agree with those who chalk up the delay to the singular event of the msft acquisition.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
you can trust that I know which forum I'm in.

shortly VZW will have *the best* winphone available (except for the massive-phablet devotees or cameraheads). that's something I don't think they've previously been able to say. apple, Sammy, htc, and moto don't really have anything new for them to celebrate. I'll bet they promote this like they've promoted no other winphone. it took them four months to promote the droid maxx and I think they realized that was a mistake.

I'm annoyed as anyone at the delay - I picked up a 928 on ebay to tide me over for a couple of months. I agree with those who chalk up the delay to the singular event of the msft acquisition.

I agree. I think the 929 has a far greater appeal than the 1520. But here's the problem, they're launching it 5-6 months after they launched the 1520. The phone with the exact same specs, just an inch larger display. That doesn't say commitment.

This phone was reportedly ready to release/launch two months ago. I'm honestly not mad. More just dumbfounded.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment here. What had dumbfounded me since the beginning is that Verizon has not taken advantage of the void in new device releases. It's very quiet now and most of the flagship devices are getting stale.

A serious contender of any kind would have almost complete attention right now. Kind of like being the only girl at the bar... You don't really have to try that hard to have someone buy you a drink.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Dudes and dudettes, this is why these forums are a blessing AND a curse. We all want to hear the latest rumors and stuff on upcoming devices, that's true. However, you need to realize (and I am the same way too!!) that these are not really "delays" because they've never been announced. We hear a rumor that it will be out on the 6th and when it doesn't come out on the 6th it's like OMG DELAYED! It doesn't have a date until some official announcement comes out. But like i said, I'm just as guilty about getting upset too.. just trying to put some perspective on it.

Well...the 928 was launched in May 2013. I would expect that another flagship WP8 should have been announced on Verizon in November in time for the Holidays. Even though you say that an unannounced phone can not be delayed. I think a 6 month product cycle for flagship phones is not unreasonable. If you compare AT&T's device announcements compared to Verizon, it is clear that AT&T is much more engaged in pushing WP8 that Verizon. Verizon only seems interested in pushing Droid phones or SG4's.
A smartphone arrives precisely when it means to. :grin:

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
I'm trying to find out more info on release dates. Honestly, Jan 16th is the last I heard and I'd suspect CES (next week) is where they would announce it or show it off at least.

I have not heard anything solid about it being delayed to February, though it can't be ruled out either. It's a great phone though. Although the looks are a little dull, hardware wise it's fantastic.

msft_tinkering

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
So yes, the 929 has been logged with the FCC, but never had an official release date. That being the case (and in typical vzw fashion) there really hasn't been any delay other than missed sales. VZW doesn't sell based on what we say here or any other mobile device forum, but they should be VERY cognizant that Windows Phone Blue announcements will put a noticeable damper on the sales of WP8 devices unless said devices cannot be updated to WPBlue.

So if these delays are due to VZW making sure the 929 is both solid for WP8 and WPBlue, then said delay is acceptable. If not, then yeah...typical VZW. Since I'm taking a 3 week plus trip to New Zealand next year, buying an unlocked 1020 is pretty tempting, even if it's only for temporary use.

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have been following this thread for a few months. I have android on my phone, ios on my ipad, and windows 8.1 on my pc's ... and want to cut one, or two, OS from the herd.

I would love to go all ios, but the iPhone is too small for my eyes and fingers, and I am tired of hearing, 'next year it will be bigger'.

I love 8.1 on my touch screen PC's. So, clearly android is the one to get rid of ... but this wait is ridiculous, and yet very expected!

When I read, 'It is not delayed, because it was never announced' ... I laugh! the hardware has been set since the1520, 6 months ago. A test unit was already sold on ebay in Mexico. Accessory manufacturers have listed items for it weeks ago. If a product is sitting in warehouses, collecting dust, and not being released ... it is delayed.

Verizon has the lowest percentage to Windows users ... they are delaying this phone, to cut a better with MS.

I doubt they will announce it at CES. Everyone who follows CES news, already knows about it. They will announce it after the MS/Nokia merger ... and by then, it will be outdated hardware. 95% of buyers know nothing about the hardware in their phones. They buy what the salesman tells them to buy, or which one matches their shoes. I have been a customer of VZW, since phones were the size of a shoe box. The only time they have had cutting edge phones ... is when Motorola was pushing them (e.g. Startac, Razr, Droid). The good news ... if all goes well, MS will be pushing them soon.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The 929 hardware specified is ALREADY old news that can be found already in other phones...Samsung will have their 2k, 8 core, 64 bit phones out before this turkey sees the light of day...but yes, most users don't even care about the hardware.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an HTC one while I waited. Awesome device, speakers are top notch everything rocks. Glad it was delayed cause now I don't want it anymore. I'll continue to get my Windows 8.1 experience on my surface2. Thanks anyway Verizon, Nokia and Microsoft.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an HTC one while I waited. Awesome device, speakers are top notch everything rocks. Glad it was delayed cause now I don't want it anymore. I'll continue to get my Windows 8.1 experience on my surface2. Thanks anyway Verizon, Nokia and Microsoft.

Not cool, man. No one should be glad that a device is being delayed by a carrier. It only hurts the Windows community.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The 929 hardware specified is ALREADY old news that can be found already in other phones...Samsung will have their 2k, 8 core, 64 bit phones out before this turkey sees the light of day...but yes, most users don't even care about the hardware.

The hardware in the 929 will be relevant for at least a year. The 8X and 920/928 series run quite well on hardware that really is outdated.

I ended up getting an LG G2 since my 8X was acting up, but hopefully the 929 comes out soon. I'm looking forward to what Windows Phone will be like in a year and a half when I can upgrade.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Not cool, man. No one should be glad that a device is being delayed by a carrier. It only hurts the Windows community.
Well yeah if it hadn't been delayed id have a device id be less happy with so in my situation it makes me happy it worked out the way it did... for me. I'll be happy when you all start getting it eventually and excited to see how you like it, especially since I've decided against waiting for it. And as it was stated before it has never been announced by Verizon so how can it be delayed? Its still just whisps of smoke.

puttlikezach

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Well yeah if it hadn't been delayed id have a device id be less happy with so in my situation it makes me happy it worked out the way it did... for me. I'll be happy when you all start getting it eventually and excited to see how you like it, especially since I've decided against waiting for it. And as it was stated before it has never been announced by Verizon so how can it be delayed? Its still just whisps of smoke.

Funny, my HTC One is what prompted me to want to get the 929. Different strokes for different folks, for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion