01-11-2014 01:14 AM
52 123
tools
    you can trust that I know which forum I'm in.

shortly VZW will have *the best* winphone available (except for the massive-phablet devotees or cameraheads). that's something I don't think they've previously been able to say. apple, Sammy, htc, and moto don't really have anything new for them to celebrate. I'll bet they promote this like they've promoted no other winphone. it took them four months to promote the droid maxx and I think they realized that was a mistake.

I'm annoyed as anyone at the delay - I picked up a 928 on ebay to tide me over for a couple of months. I agree with those who chalk up the delay to the singular event of the msft acquisition.
    I agree. I think the 929 has a far greater appeal than the 1520. But here's the problem, they're launching it 5-6 months after they launched the 1520. The phone with the exact same specs, just an inch larger display. That doesn't say commitment.

This phone was reportedly ready to release/launch two months ago. I'm honestly not mad. More just dumbfounded.
    12-30-2013 09:37 AM
    I agree with the sentiment here. What had dumbfounded me since the beginning is that Verizon has not taken advantage of the void in new device releases. It's very quiet now and most of the flagship devices are getting stale.

A serious contender of any kind would have almost complete attention right now. Kind of like being the only girl at the bar... You don't really have to try that hard to have someone buy you a drink.
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    12-30-2013 09:55 AM
    Dudes and dudettes, this is why these forums are a blessing AND a curse. We all want to hear the latest rumors and stuff on upcoming devices, that's true. However, you need to realize (and I am the same way too!!) that these are not really "delays" because they've never been announced. We hear a rumor that it will be out on the 6th and when it doesn't come out on the 6th it's like OMG DELAYED! It doesn't have a date until some official announcement comes out. But like i said, I'm just as guilty about getting upset too.. just trying to put some perspective on it.

Well...the 928 was launched in May 2013. I would expect that another flagship WP8 should have been announced on Verizon in November in time for the Holidays. Even though you say that an unannounced phone can not be delayed. I think a 6 month product cycle for flagship phones is not unreasonable. If you compare AT&T's device announcements compared to Verizon, it is clear that AT&T is much more engaged in pushing WP8 that Verizon. Verizon only seems interested in pushing Droid phones or SG4's.
    A smartphone arrives precisely when it means to.
    12-30-2013 11:59 AM
    The longer you wait the more rewarding it will be.
    12-30-2013 12:03 PM
    The longer you wait the more rewarding it will be.
    Maybe if you're a child. Take a microeconomics course and you'll develop a different perspective on time.
    maevinj likes this.
    12-30-2013 12:20 PM
    I'm trying to find out more info on release dates. Honestly, Jan 16th is the last I heard and I'd suspect CES (next week) is where they would announce it or show it off at least.

I have not heard anything solid about it being delayed to February, though it can't be ruled out either. It's a great phone though. Although the looks are a little dull, hardware wise it's fantastic.
    12-31-2013 10:22 AM
    Thank you.
    12-31-2013 11:42 AM
    So yes, the 929 has been logged with the FCC, but never had an official release date. That being the case (and in typical vzw fashion) there really hasn't been any delay other than missed sales. VZW doesn't sell based on what we say here or any other mobile device forum, but they should be VERY cognizant that Windows Phone Blue announcements will put a noticeable damper on the sales of WP8 devices unless said devices cannot be updated to WPBlue.

So if these delays are due to VZW making sure the 929 is both solid for WP8 and WPBlue, then said delay is acceptable. If not, then yeah...typical VZW. Since I'm taking a 3 week plus trip to New Zealand next year, buying an unlocked 1020 is pretty tempting, even if it's only for temporary use.
    12-31-2013 12:52 PM
    I have been following this thread for a few months. I have android on my phone, ios on my ipad, and windows 8.1 on my pc's ... and want to cut one, or two, OS from the herd.

I would love to go all ios, but the iPhone is too small for my eyes and fingers, and I am tired of hearing, 'next year it will be bigger'.

I love 8.1 on my touch screen PC's. So, clearly android is the one to get rid of ... but this wait is ridiculous, and yet very expected!

When I read, 'It is not delayed, because it was never announced' ... I laugh! the hardware has been set since the1520, 6 months ago. A test unit was already sold on ebay in Mexico. Accessory manufacturers have listed items for it weeks ago. If a product is sitting in warehouses, collecting dust, and not being released ... it is delayed.

Verizon has the lowest percentage to Windows users ... they are delaying this phone, to cut a better with MS.

I doubt they will announce it at CES. Everyone who follows CES news, already knows about it. They will announce it after the MS/Nokia merger ... and by then, it will be outdated hardware. 95% of buyers know nothing about the hardware in their phones. They buy what the salesman tells them to buy, or which one matches their shoes. I have been a customer of VZW, since phones were the size of a shoe box. The only time they have had cutting edge phones ... is when Motorola was pushing them (e.g. Startac, Razr, Droid). The good news ... if all goes well, MS will be pushing them soon.
    Tjarren likes this.
    01-01-2014 08:02 AM
    The 929 hardware specified is ALREADY old news that can be found already in other phones...Samsung will have their 2k, 8 core, 64 bit phones out before this turkey sees the light of day...but yes, most users don't even care about the hardware.
    01-01-2014 08:17 AM
    I picked up an HTC one while I waited. Awesome device, speakers are top notch everything rocks. Glad it was delayed cause now I don't want it anymore. I'll continue to get my Windows 8.1 experience on my surface2. Thanks anyway Verizon, Nokia and Microsoft.
    01-01-2014 11:23 AM
    I picked up an HTC one while I waited. Awesome device, speakers are top notch everything rocks. Glad it was delayed cause now I don't want it anymore. I'll continue to get my Windows 8.1 experience on my surface2. Thanks anyway Verizon, Nokia and Microsoft.
    Not cool, man. No one should be glad that a device is being delayed by a carrier. It only hurts the Windows community.
    Tjarren likes this.
    01-01-2014 11:36 AM
    The 929 hardware specified is ALREADY old news that can be found already in other phones...Samsung will have their 2k, 8 core, 64 bit phones out before this turkey sees the light of day...but yes, most users don't even care about the hardware.
    The hardware in the 929 will be relevant for at least a year. The 8X and 920/928 series run quite well on hardware that really is outdated.

I ended up getting an LG G2 since my 8X was acting up, but hopefully the 929 comes out soon. I'm looking forward to what Windows Phone will be like in a year and a half when I can upgrade.
    01-01-2014 11:50 AM
    Not cool, man. No one should be glad that a device is being delayed by a carrier. It only hurts the Windows community.
    Well yeah if it hadn't been delayed id have a device id be less happy with so in my situation it makes me happy it worked out the way it did... for me. I'll be happy when you all start getting it eventually and excited to see how you like it, especially since I've decided against waiting for it. And as it was stated before it has never been announced by Verizon so how can it be delayed? Its still just whisps of smoke.
    01-01-2014 03:18 PM
    Well yeah if it hadn't been delayed id have a device id be less happy with so in my situation it makes me happy it worked out the way it did... for me. I'll be happy when you all start getting it eventually and excited to see how you like it, especially since I've decided against waiting for it. And as it was stated before it has never been announced by Verizon so how can it be delayed? Its still just whisps of smoke.
    Funny, my HTC One is what prompted me to want to get the 929. Different strokes for different folks, for sure.
    01-01-2014 04:59 PM
    Yea, I had the One for a little while...dumped it. Realized shortly after buying that I'm just completely tired of their skin. Much bigger fan of Touchwiz and Samsung. Glad you're happy with your new phone though. I suspect you'll be back shortly...hehe

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    01-06-2014 03:14 PM
    Verizon likes to launch devices on Thursdays. The 9th could be it!
    01-07-2014 10:04 AM
    I sure hope that this comes out soon. I actually geeked out and bought a case. I bought the case with the kickstand off Amazon. Total of $4 shipped so it's no loss if there's a delay. It looks just like the one from Wireless Ground. The case is definitely a tad bigger than the 920. I had a friend put his 920 inside the gel case and there was some wiggle room.
    The case dimensions are: 3" x 5 and 5/8" x 5/8" by the way.
    Amazon.com: For Nokia Lumia 929 Cover Case (T-Stand Hybrid Black / Dark Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories
    01-07-2014 10:12 AM
    I sure hope that this comes out soon. I actually geeked out and bought a case. I bought the case with the kickstand off Amazon. Total of $4 shipped so it's no loss if there's a delay. It looks just like the one from Wireless Ground. The case is definitely a tad bigger than the 920. I had a friend put his 920 inside the gel case and there was some wiggle room.
    The case dimensions are: 3" x 5 and 5/8" x 5/8" by the way.
    Amazon.com: For Nokia Lumia 929 Cover Case (T-Stand Hybrid Black / Dark Blue): Cell Phones & Accessories
    Isn't it actually a little concerning how cheap that case is? Maybe the device isn't coming out...
    01-07-2014 10:18 AM
    Isn't it actually a little concerning how cheap that case is? Maybe the device isn't coming out...

By that logic, maybe the 521 isn't coming out?
    Amazon.com: For Nokia Lumia 521 Hard Cover Case Dark Purple Accessory: Cell Phones & Accessories

That brand seems to range from 9 cents to six bucks.
    01-07-2014 10:20 AM
    Verizon likes to launch devices on Thursdays. The 9th could be it!
    Not sure if joking, but they also like to announce 7 days before release, haha.
    01-07-2014 10:22 AM
    By that logic, maybe the 521 isn't coming out?
    Amazon.com: For Nokia Lumia 521 Hard Cover Case Dark Purple Accessory: Cell Phones & Accessories

That brand seems to range from 9 cents to six bucks.
    OMG... They delayed the NL521 too? Damnit, Verizon...
    01-07-2014 10:32 AM
    We WP fans are gonna have to suck it up on this one. This is a transitional quarter, and probably year for Nokia / Microsoft. Not everything is going to crank out like Nokia did in 2013. Might as well stand pat until WP8.1 comes out, and the first wave of associated devices is well established.

I just dumped my 928 with a cracked screen (courtesy of whiskey and tequila) on eBay, and bought an unlocked 925 & Straight Talk SIM. I'm gonna ride this out at $48.92/month, until It seems worthwhile to jump back on the big carrier merry go round. Who knows, maybe the GSM 5" variant will come out before the Icon, and I'll just get that.
    01-07-2014 11:14 AM
    Not sure if joking, but they also like to announce 7 days before release, haha.
    I'm kinda joking... but it wouldn't be the first time they made some device available without making any hoopla over it. Glass half full man!!!
    01-07-2014 11:20 AM
    I'm kinda joking... but it wouldn't be the first time they made some device available without making any hoopla over it. Glass half full man!!!
    Maybe they already launched it and have a CES booth set up at The Barbary Coast Hotel and can't figure out why no one is there. Of course, there is the marketing philosophy that says "always wait till no one cares." or... Maybe I have that wrong?
    01-07-2014 06:12 PM
52 123