Yet ANOTHER delay???

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
That's it. I'm gonna buy a 928 and wait for 8.1 devices. Really disappointing.

For a device that we've been reading about since August/September, and that's been ready for release for literally months (ready in the sense that the device has existed and was shown to be functioning)...this is just beyond ridiculous.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Is this one from a reliable source? I mean, in the source article he talks about how it was supposed to be released 12-20 and now is pushed out. I don't think I ever saw a reliable source point to 12-20, so this doesn't carry much weight in my book. 1-10 or 1-16 look to be much more reliable dates.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Is this one from a reliable source? I mean, in the source article he talks about how it was supposed to be released 12-20 and now is pushed out. I don't think I ever saw a reliable source point to 12-20, so this doesn't carry much weight in my book. 1-10 or 1-16 look to be much more reliable dates.

Tcman88 said a similar thing. I'm waiting WPCentral to confirm either way. I was hoping, as Daniel indicated, that there would be some sort of announcement today. But, nope...

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Dudes and dudettes, this is why these forums are a blessing AND a curse. We all want to hear the latest rumors and stuff on upcoming devices, that's true. However, you need to realize (and I am the same way too!!) that these are not really "delays" because they've never been announced. We hear a rumor that it will be out on the 6th and when it doesn't come out on the 6th it's like OMG DELAYED! It doesn't have a date until some official announcement comes out. But like i said, I'm just as guilty about getting upset too.. just trying to put some perspective on it.

A smartphone arrives precisely when it means to. :grin:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Dudes and dudettes, this is why these forums are a blessing AND a curse. We all want to hear the latest rumors and stuff on upcoming devices, that's true. However, you need to realize (and I am the same way too!!) that these are not really "delays" because they've never been announced. We hear a rumor that it will be out on the 6th and when it doesn't come out on the 6th it's like OMG DELAYED! It doesn't have a date until some official announcement comes out. But like i said, I'm just as guilty about getting upset too.. just trying to put some perspective on it.

We get it. Thanks.

Hockeymac18

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site

I think most aren't bothered so much that this has been delayed. I mean, yes, that is annoying, but there's more to it.

And yes, it's not technically "delayed" but for lack of a better word...it basically has been. In the sense that the device has seemingly been ready for months and that the only thing holding it back has been non-technical/business issues. In the early days of hearing about this device it seemed its development was closely tied in with the 1320, and that device got the royal treatment and was rolled out officially almost a month ago. The 929? leak after leak, and the release date goal posts getting pushed back more and more.

Rather, what I think many are bothered about is that this is just yet another example of how little Verizon cares for the WP brand. They never market their WP devices. When you walk into their stores, they never push people towards WP devices. For most clueless consumers, they probably don't even know it exists or what advantages/disadvantages there are to WP. One time in early August, not long after the release of the 928, I tried to find the device on display in some Verizon stores in my area, and almost all (except for one) didn't even have them out for display. The employees were like "yea, uh, I think we have those in the back...I can pull one out for you, I guess?". I think they were surprised I was even asking about a WP device.

So, this "delay" is really annoying because it just shows again that Verizon really has no interest in the WP OS or its devices. They're perfectly content with letting the holidays come and letting the "flagship" device for WP have technology/specs that are over 1 year old (a re-branded 920). Not only that, but it's free (with a contract, of course)! Do you think that they'd let that happen to Android? Or even ios? Yea, didn't think so.

And now it seems they'll be content to release the 929 (or icon) in late winter/early spring...just as 8.1 devices are announced. Basically, again, Verizon is fine with releasing a "flaghship" WP device with outdated specs.

Yea, I know there are complications on the back end that don't make this so cut-and-dry. And I know it's probably not all Verizon's fault (Nokia has never had the marketing power to release on multiple cariers and there are probably exclusivity clauses that they have with AT&T). But it's clearly obvious to any outside observer what Verizon thinks of Windows Phone and its devices. They seriously couldn't care less. It really starts turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy with them. Verizon goes into the WP device selling business half-assed. They don't push anything WP. WP turns out to not be popular (gee I wonder why?). Verizon puts less resources and effort into WP...cycle continues.

If I wasn't locked to Verizon I would have left long ago. Yea, they have great service...but that's about all they've got going for them these days.

tcedwards

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I hate Verizon, I hate them so much, like idt I've ever hated a company so much, I'm talking seriously blood boiling hate, f**k them as soon as possible I'm leaving

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
From the looks of things it appears they want to deal with MS as opposed to Nokia (I imagine they would rather wrap up before the sale) therefore Verizon would rather wait until the D&S deal has been signed and completed. Furthermore to add to this the new CEO for MS may not be named until Spring.

However the bottom two links are rumours so yeah...take these with a pinch of salt

Links:
Microsoft News | Microsoft Confirms: Board Planning To Announce New CEO In Early Part Of 2014

Verizon has delayed Lumia 929 launch further. MWC 2014 may see Lumias without Nokia. | NPU
Rumour: Nokia Lumia 929 launch delayed by Nokia/Microsoft transition | WMPoweruser

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't much bother me. Its probably in need of more testing and development so delaying its release is a good thing. Besides, Nokia could use less of the bad handsets on the market. Let this one simmer until January. It'll be a much better product.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
As an Ambassador, this might sound very odd, but....it is just a phone. If I was on Verizon, I probably would be looking at the 929 as well. That said, there really isn't a reason to get so frustrated about it. It isn't like they are holding back a security update to something you have already purchased...

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Just look at some of the Lumia 928 stuff. There are some references on pre-production devices, like the two in Nokia Remote Device Access, they mention thinks like being manufactured or compiled way back in December of 2012.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Folks, let's face it - VZW is in no hurry here. They are milking the Droid brand and really - why do they need a competitor to a brand they pretty much created? So a Windows Phone hero device / status on VZW is a distant dream, IMO. They can kick that can down the road as long as they want it, it will make pretty close to zero difference to them.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
If they push the 929 to Late Feb/March, it will push me back to AT&T for the Lumia 1520.

I did that exact thing, almost!!! I switched to AT&T, got the 1020, then returned/swapped it for the 1520. I could not be happier! If you are a Windows Phone nerd like me, then AT&T is the place to be. Windows Phones will always be the neglected, red-headed stepchildren of Verizon Wireless.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos