Nokia Lumia Icon on Verizon test website

eao1991

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
It's .4mm. If you can find a way to measure it, you'll get a better perspective of just how miniscule that really is. I think it's actually really impressive what they have managed to fit in a device of this size.

I once owned a 0.4mm thick tempered glass screen protector and that thickness is definitely noticeable. I was hoping for something thinner than the 928 but with wireless charging and a 20MP sensor, there's no way that was going to happen.

Sent from my Moto X DE

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
So what is this phone missing that we wish it had? MicroSD, Xenon Flash? Anything else?

Seems like there is never a phone that has it all but this one gets really close! I have a 8X on VZW and will be working hard to find a way to get this one!

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I once owned a 0.4mm thick tempered glass screen protector and that thickness is definitely noticeable. I was hoping for something thinner than the 928 but with wireless charging and a 20MP sensor, there's no way that was going to happen.

Sent from my Moto X DE

A .4mm screen protector? Yeah, that's noticeable.. On a slab phone? It's nothing. Won't even be noticeable. We'll all love it :p. The alternative is removing wireless charging, potentially decreasing battery size, and having a silly looking hump like the 1520.

So what is this phone missing that we wish it had? MicroSD, Xenon Flash? Anything else?

Microwave.

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
A .4mm screen protector? Yeah, that's noticeable.. On a slab phone? It's nothing. Won't even be noticeable. We'll all love it :p. The alternative is removing wireless charging, potentially decreasing battery size, and having a silly looking hump like the 1520.

Microwave.

Yes, it needs a microwave and according to CES it needs a taser . . . Don't taser me BRO!

gbhhbg

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
The weight is really disappointing. Nokia just can't seem to make their big smartphones lighter. I was really hoping to get this but this 166g compares with 130 on my Nexus 5. I used an HTC 8x for most of a year and loved it, but wanted a bigger screen due to aging eyes specifically for the browser. Everything out by Nokia that had a bigger screen is just too heavy. Don't start with the need to go work out at the gym comments- I just don't like the way a 160 g phone feels. Also, a while back I tried the Nokia 925, which is 139 grams and nice, but it is getting dating tech wise, so I guess I will have to pass on the 929 and wait for a model that replaces the 925.

Also, MS could solve a lot of the screen issue just by including text reflow or a built in reader in the browser that allows text to be scaled up. On IOS mobile Safari, Mercury Browser and others have it, and in Android, multiple browsers have it. There are several windows phone browsers that include scaling up of text, but they work very poorly IMO.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Nokia's tend to weight a little more than competing phones because they aren't built like toys. They are extremely solid, rigid, and typically built like tanks. Of course, glass is glass, and it's impossible to prevent shattering or cracking a screen with a drop at the right point and with the right amount of force. But, otherwise, Lumia's can take one heck of a beating and not skip a beat.

Oh, and that extra 36 grams is 14.4 US pennies, or about 79/100ths of a pound (0.0794lbs.). Or, to put it another way, 929=0.366lbs, Nexus 5=0.287lbs., less than 1/10th of a pound. Noticeable? Yes. An inconvenient amount of extra weight? Not really...but personal preference is where this kicks in.

eao1991

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
keep in mind the Snapdragon 800 doesn't use as much battery

Qualcomm did implement battery savings into the 800 but in regards to the device he brought up (Ativ S), I doubt it will have similar battery consumption given the power required to drive the high pixel density.

For example, look at the LG G2 with a 3000mAh battery. LG more than likely increased it from the Optimus G's 2100mAh battery to compensate for the increased battery consumption a 1080p screen brings.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Qualcomm did implement battery savings into the 800 but in regards to the device he brought up (Ativ S), I doubt it will have similar battery consumption given the power required to drive the high pixel density.

For example, look at the LG G2 with a 3000mAh battery. LG more than likely increased it from the Optimus G's 2100mAh battery to compensate for the increased battery consumption a 1080p screen brings.

battery is my biggest concern. I can't make it a half a day with he 928

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Looks like an iPhone :/

That's the first thing I thought as well, especially with that metal strip.

It looks like a phone with a 5 inch, super AMOLED display, with a matte white or matte black finish, a 20mp camera, and +3 haac mic's, running Windows Phone 8. That sounds nothing like an iPhone. Let the Nokia Lumia Icon stand alone without the silly belittling comparisons to iPhone.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
It looks like a phone with a 5 inch, super AMOLED display, with a matte white or matte black finish, a 20mp camera, and +3 haac mic's, running Windows Phone 8. That sounds nothing like an iPhone. Let the Nokia Lumia Icon stand alone without the silly belittling comparisons to iPhone.

I was specifically referring to the metal strip around the phone and nothing else. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I won't mistake a Nokia for an iAnything. But thanks for setting me straight.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I see you guys are excited for this new phone. I am happy for you but I am not as excited maybe because there isn't much features. The specs are awesome but I am not a spec kind of guy (bought xbox one for features over ps4 for specs).

Also since I am still locked into my HTC 8X until mid November that's probably the main reason I am not excited. What I am excited for is by the time my contract is up, hopefully, windows phone 8.1 will be released and Microsoft will also put out their first phone with the acquisition of Nokia Mobile.

I am waiting for MWC to see what will be announce. I have reasons to believe that MSFT will reveal a lot at MWC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos