Worth Giving Up Unlimited Data?

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh but you have to get a new sim and there goes your unlimited. Man you must be glued to a wall to use that kind of data. No way you can keep it charged long. They will hit you at some point and make you change. They did with us. We share data and never go over 16Gb a month. And that's with 6 phone lines and 3 tablets. There's WiFi every where these days. Just connect and roll. Heck I have hotspot on some of the hwys here in MS.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm a grandfathered unlimiter too still hanging on to a Trophy with 3g speeds. I use Wifi while at home but, thanks to Netflix, using GV for texting and IM'ing, my data use is often 2-3gb a month. The 4gb plan is more than my current unlimited plan, so beyond the initial savings of a subsidized phone, it's more money over a year's time by far. Way far. In fact, even the 1gb data plan($90/m plus taxes) is more than I currently pay ($69/m plus taxes), though it does come with unlimited voice (current is 450 min) and text (I have none thanks to GV).

So after getting close to giving in and getting a 928 in August, I decided to wait, after doing the math. I expect I'll use more data with LTE just because its faster (I have Google Fiber now and I HD stream EVERYTHING now). I hope to use the Device Payment Plan for the 929/Icon whenever it comes out to defer the initial full price of a new phone. It let's you keep your unlimited data since you are technically paying full price, eventually anyway.

So that's my story. It really depends on your situation as I don't know if the new Shared Plan would be more expensive for you as it would be for me. Unlike their biggest competitor AT&T, Verizon treats us grandfathered unlimiters like crap. :unhappy:

jphillips1963

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I agree with others keep the unlimited at all costs. Once its gone its gone no turning back. What also pay the same for less? Yea 2 GB is 30.00 a mos just as unlimited is. I myself use between 25-40 GB a month on my unlimited plan. So at all costs I'll keep mine and even fight them in court if they try to pull my unlimited data away.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I agree with others keep the unlimited at all costs. Once its gone its gone no turning back. What also pay the same for less? Yea 2 GB is 30.00 a mos just as unlimited is. I myself use between 25-40 GB a month on my unlimited plan. So at all costs I'll keep mine and even fight them in court if they try to pull my unlimited data away.

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro

And then Verizon's gonna be all like...

romney.gif

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
DON'T GIVE UP YOUR UNLIMITED DATA, NO MATTER WHAT!!!
I used <500MB/month, for years.
Now that I "upgraded" and got choked back to 2GB/month, I miss it.
There is a big difference from my old Windows Mobile phone usage and my new Windows Phone usage.
I'm always looking for free wifi.
I wish I had purchased the phone, outright.
JJ

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been with VZW for a dozen years. In fact, my boss forced me to switch from ATT because his calls weren't getting through. Ha!

I bought the Thunderbolt the day it came out and had the unlimited data plan.

A bit frustrated with lack of winphones on VZW so went into an ATT store for some advice. The owner said "what, you are thinking of giving up unlimited data? That's completely insane."

So here I am with a 928 I bought on ebay with a cracked screen, waiting for the 929/icon.

I've used about 10g this month, but one time my WiFi went down the same weekend I had to do a disk restore on my Surface. That weekend alone was 60G.

It has been tough not to jump, especially for the 1020 camera... but a phone that big should have a bigger screen (like the icon/929, should it ever ship!)

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I gave up my unlimited data for 6GB shared with my mom and I'm fine. Between WiFi all over my college to WiFi all over my house I'm only use data when I go somewhere and I'm just fine with that.

Sent from my XT1060 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If tmobile has good service in your area. They have truly unlimited service. No throttling and no contract. If you finance a phone remember you have to pay it off if you quit the service which can be double the cost of an ETF.

Tmobile is becoming much better and if you are in an area with LTE. it has the fastest LTE network out of the big 4.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If tmobile has good service in your area. They have truly unlimited service. No throttling and no contract. If you finance a phone remember you have to pay it off if you quit the service which can be double the cost of an ETF.

Tmobile is becoming much better and if you are in an area with LTE. it has the fastest LTE network out of the big 4.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

If T-Mobile starts getting better WP8's than Verizon, i'll consider making the jump... I'm not sure how T-Mobile is across the country as compared to Verizon and AT&T.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If T-Mobile starts getting better WP8's than Verizon, i'll consider making the jump... I'm not sure how T-Mobile is across the country as compared to Verizon and AT&T.

If your talking 4G, not even close but, like all carriers, it all depends on where you live and travel. If you live in one City and travel only to a few cities close to you, it's one thing but, if you travel for work and your all over the country all the time, it's a different story.

If you travel all the time, I would stay with Verizon, as T-Mo is not great all over but, if you stay local, get a pre-paid phone for 2-3 weeks to try it out before making the switch. This is totaly what I would do "IF" I was thinking about making a switch.

As for the subject, I checked my statements, I used 8.9gb last month and before that 6.5gb. No way I am giving up my unlmited plan unless I move to a carrier that will offer me unlimited data again for the same price or cheaper ($30ish).

Every phone I buy from 5 years ago and forward will be full price off contract or a used one to save a little....

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've been with VZW for a dozen years. In fact, my boss forced me to switch from ATT because his calls weren't getting through. Ha!

Dude, you're boss should have provided you a phone if it was that important to be able to reach you. &#55357;&#56841;

meathead88

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
For me, I'm taking a risk and buying the 929/ICON off contract, once it becomes available. I also have unlimited data with Verizon. My 2-year contract is up later this year, so I have to buy it at full price anyway. This way, I can keep my unlimited data plan. I think that I pretty much have the best plan there is anyway - single line, unlimited data, unlimited talk, unlimited text, and unlimited MMS, and I don't plan to change it. It's about $120 bucks a month after all taxes and fees, but worth it. I use my phone a lot, and love the plan. I travel a lot around the US, including rural areas, and never had an issue with dropped calls on my end.

I currently have a Lumia 822. The Micro USB charger won't work unless I bend the cable (an issue I've heard is common), and the MicroSD card got corrupted. I had to resort to getting the wireless charging back in order to avoid getting a crap refurb, and I don't feel like getting a crappy refurb. I detest iPhones and iTunes, don't like buggy Android phones, and my last BlackBerry would reboot itself like there was a ghost inside it! I won't get a Lumia 928 since the ICON is supposed to be right around the corner.

I plan on buying the ICON directly from the Microsoft Store, and pay the $99 insurance for 2 years. I found that if you buy the plan and have damages for any reason, you pay a $50 deductible and can get a new phone right there within minutes. No crappy refurbs!!!!!!

Supposedly, most, if not all current all 8 phones are supposed to be upgradeable to 8.1, so I'm not worried about that.

Just my 2 cents.

Your plan is my plan and is the best plan to aquire a 929 and retain grandfathered unlimited data.

Fear the Cubans

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
If tmobile has good service in your area. They have truly unlimited service. No throttling and no contract.

Important to note that the hotspot is not unlimited with T-Mobile. I believe you get 2.5 GB with their average plan.

If you use less than 2gb/month, Verizon has a loyalty plan you can switch to for $60/month. Unlim talk and text, 2gb data (no hotspot). Sure keeping unlimited is nice, but so is saving $40-$50/month. If you can manage under 2gb, that may be your best option.

justlittleoldme01

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
I too wondered about giving my unlimited data plan up. But, here is where my red flags came up......Verizon is trying WAY too hard to get me to give it up. They say that I don't use that much data and it will be fine. ....but, when I remind them that I only used a few texts a month a couple of years ago and now use several hundred they have no response. We don't know what is coming down the road and once you give it up it opens up the doors for them to charge you through the roof! Two years from now I might be using 10 gb a month and then where will I be?

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Personally I use giffgaff. You have to order the sim online. But its ?12 for unlimited text, unlimited internet and 250 talk mins. Fantastic deal. Not contract either. Pay as you go and can change your price plan on every monthly top up. Pretty sure this is available for America. Try it guys

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Wow, someone resurrected this oldie but goodie.

Well, as a grandfathered unlimiter that routinely used about 2-3gb a month on my old Trophy, I was tempted soooooo many times to give it up for a new phone/plan. Now that I have an Icon with LTE, I'm going to say this as plainly as I can: do NOT give up your UDP for ANYTHING. Looking at Data Sense right now, over the last 30 days I've used 3.75gb of data! My monthly usage resets after the 15th, so I'm looking at over 4gb a month. And that's with no streaming music and just a bit of Netflix (LTE and 1080p display means HD streams I'd imagine). The only regret I have is not being able to tether (haven't given Tether-X a try yet) when needed in a pinch, but the other benefits far away that loss.

So, TL;DR, do NOT give up your UDP. If you do, you can never go home again. And you will miss home ...

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
am in the same boat. I came so close to giving it up, as well, but was reminded why I shouldn't from people in this forum actually. To me, it all comes down to principle. Why pay the same for 2gb when you could use 500 for the same price? The point is, some months I use a lot, some I use a little. Bottom line? I dont have to care. I love the fact that I could give two craps about watching my data. The people that day "just use WiFi" I get that.... but LTE is a million times faster. Back in the 3g days yeah use WiFi because it was much faster but now that's not the case. Don't give it up! Stay in there:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro