What if Verizon is waiting for 8.1?

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
this phone is taking so long to come to market because Verizon wants it to have Windows 8.1?

That could explain why there are accessories and no phone yet. Holding out for the newest software.

Wishful thinking... maybe..

Last edited by a moderator:

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: What if..

Then why did we have to wait so long for the Trophy? Or the 928?

Sorry, this is just business as usual for Verizon. It isn't them holding out for something great, it's just how they run.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually starting to lean towards them waiting for 8.1 to come out. It makes the most since. Why put a lot of effort into certifying the current OS and then turn around and dump resources into certifying 8.1.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah but 8.1 isn't due until April at the earliest and that's probably for the developer preview. I don't see them pushing it out that long.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

Then why did we have to wait so long for the Trophy? Or the 928?

Sorry, this is just business as usual for Verizon. It isn't them holding out for something great, it's just how they run.

If you count, the Trophy and 928 both came out exactly 6 months after AT&T got their phones. Isn't that interesting? Such a ... coincidence.

So, what day the 1520 release on AT&T? I'm guessing 3 months after that day we'll get our 929/Icon announcement. I only say 3 instead of 6 this time because of the accessories.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

If you count, the Trophy and 928 both came out exactly 6 months after AT&T got their phones. Isn't that interesting? Such a ... coincidence.

So, what day the 1520 release on AT&T? I'm guessing 3 months after that day we'll get our 929/Icon announcement. I only say 3 instead of 6 this time because of the accessories.

I believe it was Nov 22. Which means the 1520 isn't even 2 months old yet. I hope that's not the case cause we won't see the Icon until Feb-May. And if it is, yeah it might as well ship with 8.1.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
jpling;2304the said:
I hope not. The phone is aging as we speak. Unless it comes out with 8.1 and newer hardware also.

+1 on that. Unless you are buying the platform, which many in the forum might but, most of the mass market does not. The phone is about to be eclipsed in media, marketing and specs. The general public buys the phone not the platform so a handset spec'd high for WP may excite all of us but running an ad campaign pushing the "new and exciting 1080p screen" isn't going to get it done.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon stores wouldn't have the accessories if the phone wasn't arriving shortly. Since we haven't heard an announcement or that training for the Icon has started, I'm guessing we won't see it next week. Though I'd love to be wrong!

bertongbadtrip

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
The Verizon stores wouldn't have the accessories if the phone wasn't arriving shortly. Since we haven't heard an announcement or that training for the Icon has started, I'm guessing we won't see it next week. Though I'd love to be wrong!

No training course has come out for the icon yet... but it could be a regional thing if there are reports of accessories according to other reps. My area has not gotten anything AT ALL.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
My store hasn't seen anything. If it was due out this month the WP guy at the store would have already drug me to the back to show it off. Trust me my store knows even if I did just buy a 928 I would drop it in the backup pile and by the 929. Heck I just bought the iPhone 5s in November and decided I had enough of apple.

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I've been lurking for a while, waiting for the icon to come out to make the switch to WP. My Motorola Razr has been a decent Android phone but I'm tired of the clunky OS. My upgrade became available in mid Dec.

My interest in the Icon is fading with every week. At this point I might just wait until MWC and 8.1 to see if Verizon gets any Windows phones that are designed for 2014 and the new 8.1 features. With each passing week it feels like we're waiting for a lost 6 month old phone to be released, rather than a cutting-edge phone for the new year.

Worst case scenario: Verizon doesn't get an impressive 8.1 WP in the first half of the year and I'm stuck being a lemming and getting the Samsung Galaxy S5 or something.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Aging phone? Back to Android? Am I missing something? The last I heard this phone has a 1080p screen. The best you can have on a smartphone right now. Its also quad core. Has a 20MP camera, which, outside of the higher MP Lumias, will have the best camera of all the smart phones, Android and iPhones. 5" screen, the "sweet spot" many have said. And it will be running WP8 and you know its going to get 8.1 soon after its released. What's the problem?

I get everyone wants the latest and greatest, but this isn't Android and 2012. Spec wars are over. The Icon will be coming with top of the line specs with the best OS. And the Motorola X's success shows that specs are not as important as they once were. Unless someone can show that a phone is coming out with higher than a 1080p screen and on and on, these specs are still top notch. And who cares what the mass media looks at. Those of us here on the forums know this phone has hit a sweet spot, top specs with the perfect screen size. And people are willing to jump/stay with Android because it won't come out when you want?

I'm probably sound like an ***/jerk or something and that's not my intention. But certain things do kind of bug me. Ever since I got my taste of WP8 with the 928 I can't look back. I tried Android again and simply hated it. Again, this phone has it all with the best mobile OS. I understand the impatience, I'm dying for this phone as well. But let's not start talking this phone down because Verizon, for whatever reason, isn't ready let this phone out.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
this phone is taking so long to come to market because Verizon wants it to have Windows 8.1?

That could explain why there are accessories and no phone yet. Holding out for the newest software.

Wishful thinking... maybe..

If you factor out the fact that people treat rumors as facts, it is not late. It is only late if you base release schedules on unfounded speculation (treated as facts) from people who know just as much in terms of actual facts as any other end user.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
If you factor out the fact that people treat rumors as facts, it is not late. It is only late if you base release schedules on unfounded speculation (treated as facts) from people who know just as much in terms of actual facts as any other end user.

Actually, there are people out there that do know, factually, that it's been delayed. Verizon wanted this, and thought it would be, on shelves sooner. Someone is trying to look on the bright side and claim this is an actual decision on Verizon - it isn't. It's just that things don't always go smoothly with technology.

This is why Verizon doesn't tend to announce phones in advance, though - delays happen. It's why Valve hasn't announced Half Life 3. People get irrational when a product gets delayed, as if they are owed something.

And, frankly, I'd be sure Verizon is working less hard to get this out the door as quickly as they do a Galaxy product. And why wouldn't they? A Galaxy product will sell millions in the first month, so putting as many of your best people on making sure it is priority makes sense. This product will sell tens of thousands in its first month. You don't prioritize it and you don't put as many people on making it work. Its simple business - anyone here that owns a business will admit they put their resources into the best area for growth.
Let's not excuse Nokia, either. Why does AT&T get Nokia products more promptly? Because they receive global products that go to dozens of carriers. Nokia has more people working to make sure that gets out there, and on the other side, there are more people working with Nokia since so many carriers are involved. Let's be honest here - while Nokia has a team working with Verizon on getting this product launched, the large focus is likely more on getting their next global release since, again, that will sell exponentially more than this will.

But, since this is cellphones, and people tend to see cellphone choice as a defining part of their lives, they take it as a persona slight.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

Forget the rumors about release dates, that's far from what makes this device late. It's the specs. We have a VERY good idea of what this phone packs and what specs are within the device. This device can fairly be considered late to the market because when it comes to flagships, the ICON will be far behind every other flagship in every platform, on every major US carrier.

Set aside your person endearment for Verizon. I know where it comes from... Verizon's attitude when it comes to WP8 is not one that we can get behind as excusable. No other way about it, we're getting a device that's going to be behind the pack in specs, and that simply sucks.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Forget the rumors about release dates, that's far from what makes this device late. It's the specs. We have a VERY good idea of what this phone packs and what specs are within the device. This device can fairly be considered late to the market because when it comes to flagships, the ICON will be far behind every other flagship in every platform, on every major US carrier.

Set aside your person endearment for Verizon. I know where it comes from... Verizon's attitude when it comes to WP8 is not one that we can get behind as excusable. No other way about it, we're getting a device that's going to be behind the pack in specs, and that simply sucks.

You really think this has to do with just WP8? The HTC One came out on Verizon months after it was released on every other major carrier in the US. Unless its Samsung or Apple its just not as important. And I agree that's not something that can be excused. But that's just how its been done.

I'm still waiting to hear why exactly people complaining we are getting something that at the back of the pack. In 2014, who cares?! If you read most tech sites, which I do, everyone from Android to WP guys will say that there's a point these higher specs are somewhat overkill. A 2k screen over 1080p? Outside of bragging that its 2k, what good is it? I could make an argument that 720 to 1080 was noticeable, barely, but still noticeable on a screen 5" and smaller. I go back to the camera. You thing the S5 will outperform the Icon and its 20MP? We all know with Nokia its more than just MP, they have the best, even Android people admit that.

Really what's there to complain about? Yea it may not have the specs that some phones have, but as I said in an earlier post, neither did the X. That phone has been considered the best phone of 2013, and it only came with a 720p screen and a camera that isn't half as good as the 928. More and more people are looking at the experience, instead of the hardware. Getting caught up in specs now where we are with smart phones is unnecessary. At this point the Icon will more than hold its own. Wait until you get your hands on it before thinking we are losing out.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
You really think this has to do with just WP8? The HTC One came out on Verizon months after it was released on every other major carrier in the US. Unless its Samsung or Apple its just not as important. And I agree that's not something that can be excused. But that's just how its been done.

Bingo. Everything else you said is besides the point. I'm here to discuss why WP8 is lagging behind other platforms on Verizon. Not complain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss