Who Still Plans on Buying the Icon?

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
How is it a "trick" when they specifically ask you to accept their permissions and you CHOOSE ok? Hmmmmm

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

It's a signal for the black helicopters to start following you... Is it possible that we are just a little misguided about our "importance" in the world? I'm pretty sure most people have an Android device and I'm pretty sure most of them have never had the tragic experience of having their life turned upside down because "Angry Birds" sent their data to someone.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Not so fast Indistinguishable, if this get revealed at MWC 2014, it may give me pause. Even though I would like to return home to Nokia cameraphones, the possibility of a Samsung Windows Phone flagship with expandable memory and battery capacity may win me over. We shall see....

Samsung's next Windows Phone is headed to Verizon, still looks like a Galaxy phone

Rehashed Galaxy phone. "sloppy seconds" for WP from the boys at Samsung. The giant physical home button is a nice touch also, since all the trend is headed to no physical keys. This is a "if we HAVE to release something" Let's use the rest of the left over stuff from last year.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Rehashed Galaxy phone. "sloppy seconds" for WP from the boys at Samsung. The giant physical home button is a nice touch also, since all the trend is headed to no physical keys. This is a "if we HAVE to release something" Let's use the rest of the left over stuff from last year.

While I agree it is recycled, many people do like the design of that phone. More choice is good for WP and this one will offer battery options and likely removable memory. I'm not saying I want it, but there are things for people to like. That said, knowing what we know, it feels like we are getting the hand-me-downs.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I'm liking my Note 3 so far. I might keep it until a modernized 1020 comes to Verizon with windows 8.1.

Damn 929 taking too long!

Also I think I am stuck on big screens now. Anything less than 6 is too small.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps you should move away from Windows, the A #1 most virally infected OS in desktop/laptop/tablet computing. </snark>

Touche

But....when it comes to running my business moving away from Windows really isn't a viable option; so I just have to deal with the threats.

However, the fact that you say you can do virtually everything on your Nexus 5 that you can on your L920 is interesting. I guess I just assumed (I know, I know) that moving to a WP would just make everything "smoother" between my PC and my phone. Hmmm?

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Ditto - I check here EVERY day and check Verizon's web site every other day hoping to suddenly see the phone for sale.

I have a Note 3 coming tomorrow to play with for a month at least. That will keep me busy.

invertme: [to Icon] Remember when you left R&D? Before all this, before 1520? You were gone seven months. Seven months I waited, hoping that you wouldn't come back. Every day, I took a holiday. I went to WPCentral forums, there's this thread, in the middle of the Lumias. Every fine evening, I'd sit there and order a Fernet Branca. I had this fantasy, that I would look across the new releases and I'd see you there, with a charging pad and maybe a couple of cases. You wouldn't say anything to me, nor me to you. But we'd both know that you'd made it, that you were real. I never wanted you to come back to rumorland. I always knew there was nothing here for you, except pain and tragedy. And I wanted something more for you than that. I still do.

:winktongue:

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Touche

But....when it comes to running my business moving away from Windows really isn't a viable option; so I just have to deal with the threats.

However, the fact that you say you can do virtually everything on your Nexus 5 that you can on your L920 is interesting. I guess I just assumed (I know, I know) that moving to a WP would just make everything "smoother" between my PC and my phone. Hmmm?

I've been using a GS4 for about 5 months and a 928 for a few months before that. I can say Windows Phone 8 integrates better and easier with the Microsoft ecosystem than an Android phone. The GS4 does alright, but it isn't snappy and fluid. My GS4 often requires reboots where my 928 rarely, if ever, did. About all I installed were OneNote, Outlook.com, google authenticator and Microsoft RDP. So, I don't think it is apps that are causing me issues, just what you expect from a GS4 I guess. I think the biggest pain is that there is no way to create new contacts in my Hotmail account from my phone. If you are using 3rd party apps to either Google or Microsoft I can see where it wouldn't make much difference between platforms. But, since it sounds like you have many Microsoft pieces your are tying together I think you'd enjoy a Windows Phone.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been using a GS4 for about 5 months and a 928 for a few months before that. I can say Windows Phone 8 integrates better and easier with the Microsoft ecosystem than an Android phone. The GS4 does alright, but it isn't snappy and fluid. My GS4 often requires reboots where my 928 rarely, if ever, did. About all I installed were OneNote, Outlook.com, google authenticator and Microsoft RDP. So, I don't think it is apps that are causing me issues, just what you expect from a GS4 I guess. I think the biggest pain is that there is no way to create new contacts in my Hotmail account from my phone. If you are using 3rd party apps to either Google or Microsoft I can see where it wouldn't make much difference between platforms. But, since it sounds like you have many Microsoft pieces your are tying together I think you'd enjoy a Windows Phone.

I am hoping as well, that WP will close the loop for me. I have a Windows 8 PC at work, Windows 8 PC at home and Windows 8 Surface Pro 2. I have not one complaint with Android at all and it has been a wonderful upgrade from Apple devices. However, I am assuming that the integration between everything in my world will just be easier with WP. I also want a good camera and that seems to fit the bill.

My main concern has always been the specs and it has always been a deal breaker. Windows Phones always seemed like the type of phone they give you free when you sign a contract or the ones that come with the local pre-paid carriers (including the plastic looking 928) Until I saw the 1520 and it actually looked bold and sharp and modern, if a bit too big for me. I think 2014 will completely change the game for WP. If someone would learn how to run a marketing and distribution system that can compete. So far the Icon suggests that not happening, but I have hope.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
How is it a "trick" when they specifically ask you to accept their permissions and you CHOOSE ok? Hmmmmm

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Seriously? The average user doesn't even READ those things. And even then, some of these apps look like perfectly legitimate apps that should have the access they are asking for. I prefer to not worry about what apps may or may not do and just be able to use what is available out there. WP generally doesn't have this issue, though I do know one app slipped through, but was pulled as soon as it was discovered.

Oh, and when you use Android, no matter what you think, Google is your pimp. Period. You are not their customer...you are their product. To MS YOU are the customer, with ad revenue being nothing more than a secondary income stream. Big difference.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh, and when you use Android, no matter what you think, Google is your pimp. Period. You are not their customer...you are their product. To MS YOU are the customer, with ad revenue being nothing more than a secondary income stream. Big difference.

So I want to respond to this specifically. It is largely true, Google sells the user as the product, not the software. However for many people services like Google give them more than enough value that even if they were aware of all the ways their personal information is valuable to Google, it would not matter as the value proposition would be worth it. That is a perfectly valid stance to hold, and I do not have a problem with it or look down on others for holding it.

Personally I value my information more highly, but I acknowledge that that may be a poor decision. But its my decision to make, and is no more or less valid than others who do not want to pay for software trading personal information for software instead.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

The difference being that Google provides free services and in return, shows ads. They don't "pimp" anything and it shows a level of immaturity and general distastefulness when you bring such words into a forum like this - save it for somethingawful or reddit.

Also, with "features" like ads in W8.1 search and the recent ads appearing in Here Maps, it would appear that MS are charging money for their product as well as selling ads. Which is not nice, to say the least.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The difference being that Google provides free services and in return, shows ads. They don't "pimp" anything and it shows a level of immaturity and general distastefulness when you bring such words into a forum like this - save it for somethingawful or reddit.

Also, with "features" like ads in W8.1 search and the recent ads appearing in Here Maps, it would appear that MS are charging money for their product as well as selling ads. Which is not nice, to say the least.

How does using the word pimp have anything to do with maturity? Serving ads is fine. I have no issue with that, especially if a path is provided to remove them. The difference is MS allows ads that are generally targeted based on the basic consumer knowledge they gather from the products you buy from them. Google scans your data and sells you to others. That's pimping. What other word would you like me to use? Slave master wouldn't be correct because you aren't really Google's slave since you are free to leave at anytime. Pimp is more appropriate because if you want to use their phones and services, you have to let them sell you.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So I want to respond to this specifically. It is largely true, Google sells the user as the product, not the software. However for many people services like Google give them more than enough value that even if they were aware of all the ways their personal information is valuable to Google, it would not matter as the value proposition would be worth it. That is a perfectly valid stance to hold, and I do not have a problem with it or look down on others for holding it.

Personally I value my information more highly, but I acknowledge that that may be a poor decision. But its my decision to make, and is no more or less valid than others who do not want to pay for software trading personal information for software instead.

If people want to knowingly do that, I'm OK with it, but Google doesn't openly tell you everything they do and I think most consumers would be alarmed if they knew just how much data Google mines, from where they do it, and what they do with all that data. Most people don't even know a tenth of it.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Another "leaked" release date has come and gone. ZERO communication from the manufacturer or the carrier. ZERO timeline provided by anyone credible. Leaks from so called "reputable" sources that are complete B. S... I am now looking at other options. My HTC One gets too hot and I would like a slightly larger screen and a better camera. This will be the 5th line WP has lost since Thanksgiving because Verizon will not communicate even the slightest timeline. Time to start looking... Damn!

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Another "leaked" release date has come and gone. ZERO communication from the manufacturer or the carrier. ZERO timeline provided by anyone credible. Leaks from so called "reputable" sources that are complete B. S... I am now looking at other options. My HTC One gets too hot and I would like a slightly larger screen and a better camera. This will be the 5th line WP has lost since Thanksgiving because Verizon will not communicate even the slightest timeline. Time to start looking... Damn!

Earlier last month I called a 3 month AT&T exclusivity for the 1520 and I may have been more right than I wanted to be ...

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I won't be getting the Icon anymore. I wanted to switch from Android to WP, but it just wasn't in the cards I guess. My main issue was the shocking lack of good medical reference apps (I'm a medical student starting rounds soon). I really couldn't wait for them to eventually come to the platform, need them now. The other issue is I just couldn't wait anymore for this damn thing to be released. I have learned an important lesson though, I will never again wait for a phone to be released (especially without an official launch date). I'll try checking out WP again in a couple years.
Went with the Note 3 and I'm loving it. It'll be a great tool for the wards.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I won't be getting the Icon anymore. I wanted to switch from Android to WP, but it just wasn't in the cards I guess. My main issue was the shocking lack of good medical reference apps (I'm a medical student starting rounds soon). I really couldn't wait for them to eventually come to the platform, need them now. The other issue is I just couldn't wait anymore for this damn thing to be released. I have learned an important lesson though, I will never again wait for a phone to be released (especially without an official launch date). I'll try checking out WP again in a couple years.
Went with the Note 3 and I'm loving it. It'll be a great tool for the wards.

Sounds like you shouldn't have been waiting for it at all. I think you made the right choice given your particular needs.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site

Why would the manufacturer or carrier say anything until everything is set in stone?
Communicating prior to that is a bad idea.

Consumers demand communication, but the way they act when they get that communication is why it never comes. If the date is too far out they complain. If the date changes they complain. If the product launches in less than perfect shape, needing patching done after the date, they complain.

If Verizon and Nokia had it their way no one would know the Icon was coming until they were ready for people to know. But it didn't work that way. Yet you blame them.

jpling

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you shouldn't have been waiting for it at all. I think you made the right choice given your particular needs.
you won't regret the note 3!! It is an AMAZING device. I went with the device myself and love it. I have my L928 as a weekend phone but unfortunately android has the apps for anything and everything. I haven't given up hope though wp8 app store grows by leaps and bounds daily. Once we get more market share things will get going. But we need more people coming and staying. I have room for my two favorite mobile OS's in my life but would LOVE one day to rely on wp8 solely. Almost there!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99