Who Still Plans on Buying the Icon?

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
i'll be getting one and likely retire my 928 into my work loaner pool.

Its a great upgrade specwise in pretty much the same package - just a tenth of an inch bigger height and width. Not interested in a phone package that's too much more than that.

oh my god just enjoy the 928! Its only been out since april! Quit being such an ingreat!

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
928 owner here -- most likely no. Camera isn't *enough* of an upgrade (my 928 has basically replaced our P&S for me), and the little nagging details (LED flash, no expandable memory) are enough to take the sheen off of it for me.

Shoot I stuck with a Trophy for a long time and the camera on that was *terrible*.

Neil Hinkle

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
HTC Trophy user here. If it ever comes out, yes! My current phone is still surprisingly fast for what it is, but it's so outdated that I'm just ready to move onto something else. Also, it would be nice to actually use some of the newer apps I keep seeing for WP8 one of these days.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I needed something and didn't want to wait, so went with a diff phone. I could be swayed to pick one up tho if I hear some rave user reviews after its made available. Providing of course it isn't old tech by then. ;)

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I needed something and didn't want to wait, so went with a diff phone. I could be swayed to pick one up tho if I hear some rave user reviews after its made available. Providing of course it isn't old tech by then. ;)

Right there with you. I already purchased a new phone but my distaste for android and Google will make me very interested in heating positive reviews that make sway toward a new phone.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
oh my god just enjoy the 928! Its only been out since april! Quit being such an ingreat!

OhhKay?!
I do enjoy my 928....which is why I'm interested in the 9Icon29. I really like the physical size, which the Icon mimics. I am afraid this form factor will be the odd man out between a smaller ATIV size and the larger Lumias and probably won't be developed/sold as much. If I wanted pure specs, I would just keep waiting for the 1820 whatever variant great white whale. Call me Ishmael.

I aadminister our phones at work, I have a fair number of upgrades available to juggle things.

Trust me, my 928 will find a ggood permanent home, likely with someone who formerly had a GS3 or 4.

I will be wwaiting for several weeks to see how the initial reliability turns out.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As an AT&T customer, I stand with those who would jump on it. The only thing keeping me from the L1520 is the 6" screen at the price they are asking. At a lower price, I would jump all overit and happily adjust to the monster. At 5" screen, I would have paid a higher price for it. Perfect device for my world. I use my Wife's Galaxy Note 1 quite a bit, and that 5" screen is spacious. But too much larger and it's advantages start to get evened out by disadvantages based on how I use my phone.

The Icon will be worth the wait. I hope it is the most succesful WP to date, and that 5"-5.2" type screens are the new normal for WP.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Those of you who have read my prior posts know I am definitely buying the Icon once it's released. My 822's SD card is corrupt, the Micro USB port is bad, resorting me to buy the wireless charging back, and it's just time to upgrade.

I've already bought several accessories for the Icon (and reviewed them in a separate thread). I know the Icon would be the last phone I own for a while. I won't give up my unlimited data, and I travel too much to switch providers.

I don't want to go back to BlackBerry, and have no love for iOS or Android. I also plan to buy the Icon at the Microsoft Store, which will prevent me from telling off the Verizon sales reps where to go when they try to switch me to a Galaxy or iPhone!

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
HTC Trophy user here. If it ever comes out, yes! My current phone is still surprisingly fast for what it is, but it's so outdated that I'm just ready to move onto something else. Also, it would be nice to actually use some of the newer apps I keep seeing for WP8 one of these days.

What he said ... pretty much exactly.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I will go play with it the first day it comes out .... but I am going to wait for MWC (Feb 24th), to see if Nokia announces any new phones 'and' Verizon release dates. I have been waiting since early November for the 929. What is another couple weeks going to hurt?

Besides, every rumored phone I have fallen in love with, whose release date got delayed by months ... either was not released as rumored, was buggy, or because of the delay, a much better one came out a month later. Delays are never good, and so far, I have never been disappointed by passing on the delayed model.

That will never, EVER happen. You do know this.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
That will never, EVER happen. You do know this.

This is what people do not understand. Whatever follows the Icon will be just as 'delayed'. VZ does not release new phones quickly. If you want the latest and greatest, you go AT&T. Personally speaking, phone hardware has nearly reached the 'good enough' point. As others have pointed out, aside from the OS even a Trophy still works as a great little smartphone, and I keep mine handy as an emergency backup.

Yes, I wish VZ was the best network, the latest phones and the cheapest price, but you can really only pick one of those three for each carrier.

NoogMan9605

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Went from a Trophy (had for 2 years) to a 928 back in June....I'll definitely be getting the 929. I will use the extra megapixels and the footage.

macroweb

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Like many here, I have the 928 and I've been waiting for the 929. Since I've waited this long, I will wait until MWC to make my purchase decision. There are rumblings that Sony and Samsung are both taking a serious look at the growth of the Windows Phone universe; MWC would be a good place for them to showcase an offering.

We will know soon enough, and since I am grandfathered with unlimited data I will have to pay full price for what ever I decide to do.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I handle our Verizon business account and have the 928. I want to get the 929 as soon as it comes out, but it will kind of depend on the price. Considering the 928 is free for business lines, it will be hard to justify a 929 at $199. If it's $99, I can slide that under the radar. However, I'm still not convinced it will come out.

doubleodon

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I will definitely get an Icon at some point..

Unfortunately, those of us with grandfathered unlimited Verizon plans have to buy our phone "retail" in order to keep our unlimited plans. It is now just over a year since I paid full price for my 8X, and another > $500 expenditure for a phone this soon would be inappropriate.

My move will probably come when a few Icons show up on Gazelle.

My wife's HTC DNA has shown me the awesomeness of a 5" screen.... so I am anxious to get one, and I am glad to see it finally come to Windows Phone.

As stated by others, and as much as we would like to be wrong, we shouldn't expect Verizon to bring anything beyond the Icon to their network any time soon.
As of today, Verizon still has the manufacturers under their thumb as to which phones will be used on their network. Their unique CDMA network ensures that.

stonetipapps

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I probably won't get one right away even though I've been waiting for a while to get a Windows Phone on Verizon. Mainly because I still have several months on an AT&T contract. But their service where I live (Montana) and places that I visit like Yellowstone is nowhere near as good as Verizon's. I don't like Verizon all that much and will have to pay $10/mo. more. But what good is a phone you can't use for calls? Absent the AT&T contract, I'd have considered the 928 and was glad Verizon finally got a superior Windows Phone or two (the HTC 8X). In a way, I'd get the 929/Icon just to send the message to Verizon that there is demand. (As a developer I have a vested interested there!)

ford02explorer

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes...I've been planning since I first heard about it. I have a 928 now, and have been extremely satisfied with it. So, I will be yes!

I hate Verizon for not allowing all the other phones like the 1020, etc.

I've been going nuts waiting for the 929/icon to go on sale.

I just wish they'd put it out there to buy, because knowing Verizon (around here), If all else fails I can still go to my Microsoft store and get it.

P.S.

Or...should I say if all else fails. I could be seduced into going to AT&T, and I hate AT&T.

Thanks for the say so...

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I probably won't get one right away even though I've been waiting for a while to get a Windows Phone on Verizon. Mainly because I still have several months on an AT&T contract. But their service where I live (Montana) and places that I visit like Yellowstone is nowhere near as good as Verizon's. I don't like Verizon all that much and will have to pay $10/mo. more. But what good is a phone you can't use for calls? Absent the AT&T contract, I'd have considered the 928 and was glad Verizon finally got a superior Windows Phone or two (the HTC 8X). In a way, I'd get the 929/Icon just to send the message to Verizon that there is demand. (As a developer I have a vested interested there!)

I took a trip a couple years back through Montana to Glacier, and eventually down to Yellowstone and that trip is part of made me realize what I was paying for with Verizon. My trip partner had AT&T and it was amazing how often I had perfect service and they had nothing. The inverse did not occur even once. I did a similar trip with a friend who had T-Mobile and it was ghastly, hundreds of miles across the midwest, even on major highways, were often without any service at all. I can't imagine what a T-Mobile traveler does if they have a serious issue on their trip. Hope for a friendly person to stop and help I guess, its impossible to call AAA if you have no signal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise