Who Still Plans on Buying the Icon?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably hold off initially. A 1/2 in increase in screen size is not enough to sway me, but the 20 megapixel camera may. I upgraded to a 928 from a Note II; so I know what it is like to have to carry around a big phone. I say, upgraded from a Note II because, I realized that although the Note II is a nice phone, it really didn't fit with how I use my phone, which is more as a PDA/phone/camera and less as an e-reader/movie watching/game playing.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
If by 'slightly upgraded 928' you mean "Completely different phone with an entirely new chipset, screen, additional features, form factor, twice the CPU's each running about 50% faster than the 928 and twice the memory and likely twice the storage" then I see where you are coming from.

The 929 is nothing like the 928. The specs on the 928 were old by the time it came out, and superseded just a few months later. It was running the previous generation Qualcomm SOC. The 929, even at this point, is still running the fastest ARM solution on the market, and it will remain so for at least six months more. The successor to the 800 in the 929 is the 805, it is sampling this spring and will be in full designs this fall. If a hypothetical 1820 or 1520v are released in April, it will not be based on anything greater than what is in the Icon.

The fact remains that 2K screen, snapdragon 805, finger print scanner, 5.2 screen in a compact form factor and other improvements WILL be the standard in the 2nd quarter of 2014. Then, in the 3rd quarter out will come Apple with ANYTHING they release and it will be heralded as the second coming of Christ by every dough eyed tech blogger on the planet. That will leave our "upgraded" 928 as another "solid" phone that "holds its own" in a field dominated by spec heavy goliaths and spawn one more blog about how WP just might be able to compete one day.

So either make the 1020 with a 5 inch 1080p screen, snapdragon 805, and real, useful voice control like the Moto X and roll on and win. It's that easy.

OR just release the 929 in November 2013 (Like Verizon should have) with the 1520 right behind and unveil WP 8.1 with a new handset running a Snapdragon 805 at MWC and get it to market on or about June when Apple slings the iPhone 6. Instead we will argue about the 928 vs 929 while having NOTHING to buy while the world says "oh... Windows Phone" Yea... I think I saw one of those... "

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
The fact remains that 2K screen, snapdragon 805, finger print scanner, 5.2 screen in a compact form factor and other improvements WILL be the standard in the 2nd quarter of 2014. Then, in the 3rd quarter out will come Apple with ANYTHING they release and it will be heralded as the second coming of Christ by every dough eyed tech blogger on the planet. That will leave our "upgraded" 928 as another "solid" phone that "holds its own" in a field dominated by spec heavy goliaths and spawn one more blog about how WP just might be able to compete one day.

So either make the 1020 with a 5 inch 1080p screen, snapdragon 805, and real, useful voice control like the Moto X and roll on and win. It's that easy.

OR just release the 929 in November 2013 (Like Verizon should have) with the 1520 right behind and unveil WP 8.1 with a new handset running a Snapdragon 805 at MWC and get it to market on or about June when Apple slings the iPhone 6. Instead we will argue about the 928 vs 929 while having NOTHING to buy while the world says "oh... Windows Phone" Yea... I think I saw one of those... "

The Snap Dragon 805 won't be available in phones until the second HALF of next year, the 800 will still be up to date for months to come.

Westoncreg

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
and even after it comes out it's not like the 800 still won't be good. It will be fine, just not the latest and greatest.

Exactly, I mean look at HTC and their 600 chips, its adorable :p. Of course I'm joking and the 600 as of right now is still plenty of horse power for our little electronic buggies we call phones

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The Snap Dragon 805 won't be available in phones until the second HALF of next year, the 800 will still be up to date for months to come.

This here is true. There will not be a shipping 805 design until at least June. It is far more likely that we see something end of Summer, around August or so. Even then it would not surprise me if the customers were limited until production ramps up towards fall. The 805 is going to hit mass market about a year after the 800.

Jay Kuzmak

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting very impatiently for the Icon. Very upset with how Verizon has treated the Windows Phone rollouts. That said, I will be getting the Icon.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I am waiting very impatiently for the Icon. Very upset with how Verizon has treated the Windows Phone rollouts. That said, I will be getting the Icon.

Ditto - I check here EVERY day and check Verizon's web site every other day hoping to suddenly see the phone for sale.

I have a Note 3 coming tomorrow to play with for a month at least. That will keep me busy.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
So, if the icon were not released would you buy the 928? Meaning, it sounds like you value the WP experience to the point that you'd settle for a lesser device rather than stay with Android and pick up the "next big thing" out of MWC? I ask because this is my issue. I have an Android. Love the phone, but really want to make the switch to WP - especially because of the camera quality and because everything else I use at home or work is Windows 8. However, you can't just overlook the hardware that is coming. Or can you?

I don't think the Icon being released or not is the issue. It's coming, just seems like NO ONE knows when.

But, would I disregard the Galaxy S5 (which will probably be released in Late March or April.....although who knows when Verizon will actually get around to it) to stick with the somewhat older hardware in the Icon?

Yes, yes I would.

I use a Windows 8 system for work. I use outlook for email. I use MS Office daily....although I find myself using Adobe Acrobat more and more.....but in conjunction with Office. I use Skydrive........but I still have an Android phone? Just makes sense (now that they are putting out a decent Windows Phones) to make the switch. Not to mention getting away from the A #1 most virally infected OS in mobile phones.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the Icon being released or not is the issue. It's coming, just seems like NO ONE knows when.

But, would I disregard the Galaxy S5 (which will probably be released in Late March or April.....although who knows when Verizon will actually get around to it) to stick with the somewhat older hardware in the Icon?

Yes, yes I would.

I use a Windows 8 system for work. I use outlook for email. I use MS Office daily....although I find myself using Adobe Acrobat more and more.....but in conjunction with Office. I use Skydrive........but I still have an Android phone? Just makes sense (now that they are putting out a decent Windows Phones) to make the switch. Not to mention getting away from the A #1 most virally infected OS in mobile phones.

Besides tech sites talking about how "viral" Android is...I never actually see any real world stories of these horrible viruses on Android.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Besides tech sites talking about how "viral" Android is...I never actually see any real world stories of these horrible viruses on Android.

Much of the software that is "bad" isn't the type of software that viruses on Windows were mostly like. No...it's more along the lines of little sleeper cells that sit there and "harmlessly" collect your data, keystrokes, et al, and send it, usually after you agreed to give the app permission to do so because you hit "yes" on the permissions screen. That's how Android tends to be infected. Google runs a really loose ship with their app store. A lot of very legitimate looking apps have been found to collect data that you don't want passed on, including passwords and account numbers. Since most of them trick users into giving the apps permission to spy on you, they won't even flag with a traditional AV program.

Markham Ranja

Banned
Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

Perhaps you should move away from Windows, the A #1 most virally infected OS in desktop/laptop/tablet computing. </snark>

Ok, seriously, now. I use both WP and Android, there is basically nothing (useful) that my L920 can do, that my Nexus 5 cannot. Skydrive works (in many ways better than it does on WP), work email is Exchange and that works too. I find the Office apps on Android better than those built into WP. Additionally, the Intents system for sharing data between apps is amazing. Currently, I love WP for it's UI but Live Tiles are often flawed and I still want a notification center. Offline navigation is one unbeatable selling point though.

At this stage, the only reason I'm not moving fully away is that I'm waiting for 8.1 to show up and see what it brings.

Xarok

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I finally managed to find a physical 1520 in store yesterday in the UK, the screen is amazing and it sucked me right in, although I kept thinking "damn, if only the device was a little smaller". So I'm looking forward to the 929 if it comes to the UK.

If not the 1520 is definitely what I'd go for.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Much of the software that is "bad" isn't the type of software that viruses on Windows were mostly like. No...it's more along the lines of little sleeper cells that sit there and "harmlessly" collect your data, keystrokes, et al, and send it, usually after you agreed to give the app permission to do so because you hit "yes" on the permissions screen. That's how Android tends to be infected. Google runs a really loose ship with their app store. A lot of very legitimate looking apps have been found to collect data that you don't want passed on, including passwords and account numbers. Since most of them trick users into giving the apps permission to spy on you, they won't even flag with a traditional AV program.

How is it a "trick" when they specifically ask you to accept their permissions and you CHOOSE ok? Hmmmmm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786