Who Still Plans on Buying the Icon?

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
If Verizon and Nokia had it their way no one would know the Icon was coming until they were ready for people to know. But it didn't work that way. Yet you blame them.

It was Verizon themselves that posted up a test page for the Icon on their website........TWICE!

puttlikezach

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Another "leaked" release date has come and gone. ZERO communication from the manufacturer or the carrier. ZERO timeline provided by anyone credible. Leaks from so called "reputable" sources that are complete B. S... I am now looking at other options. My HTC One gets too hot and I would like a slightly larger screen and a better camera. This will be the 5th line WP has lost since Thanksgiving because Verizon will not communicate even the slightest timeline. Time to start looking... Damn!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

I gave up on the 929 a week after they put a place holder ad on their test website. I'm in the same boat with my HTC One. The camera is ok (not great) until you do any sort of zoom. Growing tired of Google tracking every key strike and trying to get me to buy the new Titleist Driver I simply wanted to check out. Verizon is going to lose about $350 (we have 5 lines) a month to AT&T not because they have no idea how to roll out a new WP, but because they couldn't care less about anything other than Iphone or Galaxy. I'll be getting the 1820 from AT&T when they release that beast. You can be sure AT&T will do a proper release.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I gave up on the 929 a week after they put a place holder ad on their test website. I'm in the same boat with my HTC One. The camera is ok (not great) until you do any sort of zoom. Growing tired of Google tracking every key strike and trying to get me to buy the new Titleist Driver I simply wanted to check out. Verizon is going to lose about $350 (we have 5 lines) a month to AT&T not because they have no idea how to roll out a new WP, but because they couldn't care less about anything other than Iphone or Galaxy. I'll be getting the 1820 from AT&T when they release that beast. You can be sure AT&T will do a proper release.

No offense, but Verizon doesn't care if they lose you. They probably wouldn't care if every single member of wpcentral moved their contracts. WP users just don't make up enough of their business. I mean they have over 70 million customers. You'd have to have a mass exodus of at least 100k subscribers leave all at ONCE for them to take notice. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
No offense, but Verizon doesn't care if they lose you. They probably wouldn't care if every single member of wpcentral moved their contracts. WP users just don't make up enough of their business. I mean they have over 70 million customers. You'd have to have a mass exodus of at least 100k subscribers leave all at ONCE for them to take notice. Sorry, it's just the way it is.

Might well be true but every customer counts. Maybe some time down the line a disgruntled customer decides not to go with Verizon for a corporate contract, then it matters. Personally I would never use a cdma carrier who has complete control over which phone I use, especially with a less popular OS like WP.

puttlikezach

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

As a Verizon customer for over 10 years I can only confirm wholeheartedly what you just said. I'm very aware that they don't care about me or my $400 a month (added a couple jet pack/hot spot deals a few months ago). They only care about acquiring new customers. Do I suppose this is any different with AT&T? No - but at least I'll have a good selection of WP devices to choose from and the freedom to bring online an unlocked phone if I ever need/want to.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Why would the manufacturer or carrier say anything until everything is set in stone?
Communicating prior to that is a bad idea.

Consumers demand communication, but the way they act when they get that communication is why it never comes. If the date is too far out they complain. If the date changes they complain. If the product launches in less than perfect shape, needing patching done after the date, they complain.

If Verizon and Nokia had it their way no one would know the Icon was coming until they were ready for people to know. But it didn't work that way. Yet you blame them.

Samsung has announced an event that will likely result in the GS5 at MWC - as planned. Apple will launch the iPhone 6 like clockwork, LG has given a good amount of official info on the course they will follow with the LG G Pro2 and even clarified that certain leaked photos were not real. LG is thinking of pushing the G3 date forward... Ect.

My point is that Microsoft and Nokia and Verizon have been completely silent - even in the face of actual phones being used by actual humans and instead they look at the consumer like a confused puppy when asked about it even after it appeared on their own website... Twice. It's just pathetic marketing. The anecdotal evidence of people buying other phones because of the lack of communication adds up to something. Tech sites are even writing about the sad state of WP release time lines. I blame them because it's so lame that a large company could "control the messaging" so poorly. They truly have zero control of their brand imaging, which is already "nice camera... BUT." It is maddening.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Those that had to have this phone when it first leaked must really take pause now because some real *** kicking hardware is just around the corner by several manufactures.

Verizon currently focuses their efforts on android and iPhone sales and if the Icon isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.

Not all of us are haters of Google and Apple. Look at those posting here that are using iPhones and android phones but share the anticipation of the Icon which is going to sell very well.

But no matter what camp you are in there is no denying that delaying the Icon has made many of us who would have bought it a couple months ago in a heartbeat ... Are not thinking that way now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
But no matter what camp you are in there is no denying that delaying the Icon has made many of us who would have bought it a couple months ago in a heartbeat ... Are not thinking that way now.

So like...all 15 of you?

Look, my dear friends who are posting on forum dedicated to your phone, I really enjoy your presence and thoughts. But let's not confuse 'us' with the general public. The general public has never heard of this phone, so it's not like they are 'waiting' for it like we are. (Although, maybe NOW you understand why companies hate leaks so much. Had none of you seen a 929 leak, you would have been oblivious).

Sure, some came out of contracts and bought something else. Nokia ain't happy about it. I'm sure Verizon would rather not have a phone delayed...for whatever reason. But when this phone comes out, it will still have a chance like any other phone coming out. Shoot, if the Moto X can fail hard, then anything can fail. Likewise if the POS of 'Droid series can be successful, anything can be succesful on Verizon.

The 929 is a really good phone. As good if not better than the 1520 (due to its size). For those who are waiting, they'll be very happy with it. For those who moved on, hopefully they're happy with their choice.

At the end of the day, most people don't put too much thought into their purchases. though. Regarding some "real *** kicking hardware", I know a lot what's coming at MWC--even for Android--and I don't share that enthusiasm, sorry. Nice? Yes. Mind blowing or *** kicking? Ehhh...

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site

More like 119+ million. You're even MORE insignificant than you thought! Congratulations!

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
So like...all 15 of you?

Look, my dear friends who are posting on forum dedicated to your phone, I really enjoy your presence and thoughts. But let's not confuse 'us' with the general public. The general public has never heard of this phone, so it's not like they are 'waiting' for it like we are. (Although, maybe NOW you understand why companies hate leaks so much. Had none of you seen a 929 leak, you would have been oblivious).

Sure, some came out of contracts and bought something else. Nokia ain't happy about it. I'm sure Verizon would rather not have a phone delayed...for whatever reason. But when this phone comes out, it will still have a chance like any other phone coming out. Shoot, if the Moto X can fail hard, then anything can fail. Likewise if the POS of 'Droid series can be successful, anything can be succesful on Verizon.

The 929 is a really good phone. As good if not better than the 1520 (due to its size). For those who are waiting, they'll be very happy with it. For those who moved on, hopefully they're happy with their choice.

At the end of the day, most people don't put too much thought into their purchases. though. Regarding some "real *** kicking hardware", I know a lot what's coming at MWC--even for Android--and I don't share that enthusiasm, sorry. Nice? Yes. Mind blowing or *** kicking? Ehhh...

But would you agree that for whatever reason that Nokia decided to focus their manufacturing efforts on the 1520 instead of the Icon for the holiday season have seriously affected the WP install base in North America for the final quarter of 2013?

The Lumia 822 was a fantastic seller for Verizon during the holiday season of 2012 and thereafter for months. It sold better than the 920 IIRC, even though it was a lesser device. And while the release period hasn't been as long, the 928 hasn't impressed as much with it's sales numbers from what I've read. Getting a desirable Nokia device on Verizon during the holiday season would seem like a priority for all involved based on the admittedly amateur analysis that I've given here, but it apparently wasn't. Then we read that Lumia sales disappointed last quarter ...

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
But would you agree that for whatever reason that Nokia decided to focus their manufacturing efforts on the 1520 instead of the Icon for the holiday season have seriously affected the WP install base in North America for the final quarter of 2013?

The Lumia 822 was a fantastic seller for Verizon during the holiday season of 2012 and thereafter for months. It sold better than the 920 IIRC, even though it was a lesser device. And while the release period hasn't been as long, the 928 hasn't impressed as much with it's sales numbers from what I've read. Getting a desirable Nokia device on Verizon during the holiday season would seem like a priority for all involved based on the admittedly amateur analysis that I've given here, but it apparently wasn't. Then we read that Lumia sales disappointed last quarter ...

Where did you hear that the Icon's delay was caused by Nokia focusing their manufacturing efforts on the 1520?

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
So like...all 15 of you?

Is it the leaks that are the problem or those that peddle them on the Internet in tech blogs and websites for profit? Especially considering the most verifiable leak came from the carrier themselves I don't think we should condemn the end user for their general distaste of a product.

We can say that losing a few devices will not hurt Verizon, but for a platform still relegated to a distant third I would submit that every sale counts. I have 200 employees, I have 5 devices on my personal family plan and generally purchase a new handset every 6 months for myself. I also control the devices purchased for 40 of my employees. So it's not 15 people.

The fact remains that when your in third place and shoved in the back corner of a showroom full of phones, you damn well better stand out. And just being bright yellow will not get it done. The general public also doesn't read about the fact that the camera might be better, or that the low spec device still functions well because the platform is less demanding. They look at their friends and see what they carry... And they are not carrying Windows Phones. So, I would submit that if Verizon would simply provide a somewhat coherent or even partially intelligent time line they might sell more. By March, no one will care because the marketing machines at Samsung and Apple will be in full gear. Then, they will be left with just 'us'... AGAIN.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
have 200 employees, I have 5 devices on my personal family plan and generally purchase a new handset every 6 months for myself. I also control the devices purchased for 40 of my employees. So it's not 15 people.

True......but it still does not even register on Verizon's radar. Maybe it should.....and it certainly says something about the company. Unfortunately (for the time being anyway) they have a HAMMER lock on many of their customers (like me) due to their VASTLY superior network.

P.S. Why every 6 months?

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
True......but it still does not even register on Verizon's radar. Maybe it should.....and it certainly says something about the company. Unfortunately (for the time being anyway) they have a HAMMER lock on many of their customers (like me) due to their VASTLY superior network.

P.S. Why every 6 months?

Same here. I had AT&T with my 920 for awhile, but you can only take having just one bar both at home and work for so long, not to mention only being able to make calls in certain arras of the house. I really hate Verizon, but their network is the only one that works for me.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I think they're switching out a bunch of plain black ones for red ones with the silver metal band.

Disclaimer: I don't really think this.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I think they're switching out a bunch of plain black ones for red ones with the silver metal band.

Disclaimer: I don't really think this.

The screen is being replaced with one that has a giant Verizon V watermarked on it. So you never forget.

Disclaimer: I don't actually put this past them.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
Especially considering the most verifiable leak came from the carrier themselves I don't think we should condemn the end user for their general distaste of a product.

I don't agree with this. At least not the way it's phrased. Carriers, officially and unofficially, do not leak phones, if ever. Sure, certain rogue employees do, but that's not with the company's blessing at all. They're just ordinary people who get excited too and who can't keep a secret.

There's way too much of this "controlled leak" nonsense that I see. I can tell you as someone who posts leaked photos or news, 99.9% is not back alley talk from carriers or the OEMs. They don't like it, plain and simple. So it's not fair to put this on them, like they're the one's who are behind the leaks. They aren't. They don't want leaks. That has not and will not change.

I have never had an email from Microsoft, Nokia or a carrier going "psst...you should post this as a 'leak'". Not once. If those parties talk to us about future things, it is either NDA or 'off the record'. Nokia and other OEMs will never talk to media, even under NDA, about future devices. They just don't do that.

I'm not going to get into what should happen with Windows Phone. Nokia didn't want the 929 to come out this late. Microsoft did not either. This is all on Verizon, for whatever reason. Yes, we can list the 10 reasons why this is bad for Windows Phone, but it's moot. We all know that. But it's out of Nokia's hands as they have to go by what Verizon wants.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs