Could the Icon have a crippling issue that is delaying its release?

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Since the phone has been in testing so long, I have to wonder if there is an issue with it. I know my 8X has texting issues still, and I've heard that the 928 and 822 are riddled with bugs, too. I feel like it is very probable that since Verizon is CDMA, it may be having some issues with the Icon.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
My 928 has a weird bug related to not wanting to use Wifi when it has an LTE signal (even when its barely available) and my girlfriends 8x hasn't been able to send texts for the past week or so. Its all about luck with these things.

That said, I think Verizon was tweaking the design (specs slightly changed on the website with recent leaks) and they are probably waiting to release it with Black

joe_easton

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My 8x on Verizon will have texts fail from time to time. A quick power cycle normally fixes it. Other than that I haven't had issues. Each OS update seems to improve performance as well.

I think they are waiting for black as well as making sure Isis works properly on it.

They will have a decent marketing campaign which has to be planned as well.

he_shark

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard of those bugs, most people seem very happy with their 928's from what I've read.

I also, as the date slips doubt it's them waiting for the Black Update. After all that was available in Dec when the 1520 was announced. I think with MVC just a month away with WP8.1 phones rumoured to be announced, they've just shelved the phone and are waiting for 8.1.

After all who is really going to buy a phone that is going to be superseded in a month? They may be tinkering it so that it will work better with 8.1 and not be outdated too fast.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Joe_Easton, you just need to toggle airplane mode for your texts to start working again. Don't waste time with a full system reboot. Of course, you still have to copy and paste your text into a new field after doing so, but it still saves at least a minute of your time.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
What are you guys talking about "waiting for black"? The 1520 launched with black in November. I'm certain that the Icon will launch with black on it because it was designed to have it from the beginning. It doesn't make sense for a new generation of phone to wait until the older generation gets an update. It actually gives less incentive to update.

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
After all who is really going to buy a phone that is going to be superseded in a month? They may be tinkering it so that it will work better with 8.1 and not be outdated too fast.

The people that would buy it would be those that realize that any 'new' phones probably wouldn't be coming to Verizon untill 6 months after other carriers have them. Then it comes down to either having the most current phone now (Icon), waiting 6 months for the next new phone, or jumping carriers to get more state-of-the-art specs. The same choices we always have to make.

The Icon might just be a myth too, someone just likes to screw with us.

Hopefully they aren't waiting for 8.1, I'm going to have to upgrade sooner than that.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say the Icon is a myth, but I guess it could still be scrapped since it hasn't been officially announced. However, I feel like that would waste a lot of money for Nokia and Verizon.

I agree, however, that the Icon is going to be the top-of-the-line Windows Phone for Verizon for at least six months. I mean, even if HTC or Samsung release a high-end WP8.1 phone, I, one, don't think it'll reach Verizon until at least July, and two, would still choose the Nokia phone (even though I have loved all of my HTC smartphones).

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I haven't heard of those bugs, most people seem very happy with their 928's from what I've read.

I also, as the date slips doubt it's them waiting for the Black Update. After all that was available in Dec when the 1520 was announced. I think with MVC just a month away with WP8.1 phones rumoured to be announced, they've just shelved the phone and are waiting for 8.1.

I'm on my 5th or 6th 928. If you use the headphone jack daily, in about two weeks the phone stops being able to recognize when the headphones are plugged in and when not. The result is not being about to hear callers through the top speaker. Major flaw, not inherent to just one batch.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The people that would buy it would be those that realize that any 'new' phones probably wouldn't be coming to Verizon untill 6 months after other carriers have them. Then it comes down to either having the most current phone now (Icon), waiting 6 months for the next new phone, or jumping carriers to get more state-of-the-art specs. The same choices we always have to make.

The Icon might just be a myth too, someone just likes to screw with us.

Hopefully they aren't waiting for 8.1, I'm going to have to upgrade sooner than that.

As per, WP8.1 Blue, Release to Manufacturers March, Devs – April, Users May : My Nokia Blog users won't see 8.1 till May. I don't think VZW is going to hold Icon till then if this is true.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Icon...?...Crippling Issue...would make a great rumor...but hey you can't make a rumor of a rumor...can you?

This whole subsection is filled with people making rumors of a rumor. You want to see rumors about rumors about rumors? Head over to the "Upcoming and Rumored Device" section. The mods have since cleaned it up a bit, but jeez...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 5th or 6th 928. If you use the headphone jack daily, in about two weeks the phone stops being able to recognize when the headphones are plugged in and when not. The result is not being about to hear callers through the top speaker. Major flaw, not inherent to just one batch.

Happened to me. On my second tho.

But as for the comment about the 822's, man those things are tanks! I know a lot of people with them who have had zero issues and even tell me that they are such sturdy reliable devices (both physically and software wise)

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
There was an "easy" fix that one member said he did and said was going to post up a How-To. That How-To is nowhere to be seen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers