Could the Icon have a crippling issue that is delaying its release?

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
The earpiece not working in the 928 doesn't have anything to do with the headphones or my speakerphone and Bluetooth would have the same issue... which it doesn't. But none the less, the earpiece issue is a known issue specific to the 928.

On my phone I don't believe it's a headphone issue, either.
However, the speakerphone sucks for me, too. It went after the earpiece. If I don't squeeze the back of the device, not the corner but the entire back, the speakerphone is stuck at around 20% the volume, making it difficult to hear in nearly any environment, even when cranked up to 10/10.

gbhhbg

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Get serious guys...it is probably just a business issue- they still have inventory of 928s on hand to first unload. It is probably just that simple.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Get serious guys...it is probably just a business issue- they still have inventory of 928s on hand to first unload. It is probably just that simple.

As said in the other thread you posted this in, that's a very stupid reason to delay a product and stupid companies do not last particularly long.

bertongbadtrip

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

We're actually out of 928s in our store and we haven't gotten any deliveries for the device in the last few weeks. We got a bunch of 8Xs and Ativs but no 928s that I've seen.

LABrooks

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I think the 929 / Icon is the Yeti of the Lumia family ;o) (I know, I'm new here - so for those who don't know me (all of you) I'm kidding ... kind of ;o) )

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
I think the 929 / Icon is the Yeti of the Lumia family ;o) (I know, I'm new here - so for those who don't know me (all of you) I'm kidding ... kind of ;o) )

I think its more like UFOs. We have some pictures and bad video of the things. Some firsthand accounts. The officials keep trying to cover up its existance. People on the internets have differing theories on whether they really exist and if we will be visited by this phenomena in the future. We're all wondering how our lives will change if one day we have a close encounter with it.

LABrooks

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I think its more like UFOs. We have some pictures and bad video of the things. Some firsthand accounts. The officials keep trying to cover up its existance. People on the internets have differing theories on whether they really exist and if we will be visited by this phenomena in the future. We're all wondering how our lives will change if one day we have a close encounter with it.

One day in say - 2025 they're going release a movie ~ ET2 ... he's going phone home ... with a Lumia Icon ...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
This stinkin phone better be the most amazing smartphone on the planet. Actually its already using technology found in many other phones that have been on the market for months.

What makes a shrunken down 1520 an earth shattering must have device anyway? Because the screen is smaller ? I mean, come on man...it better have more going for it than that.

I'd postpone this thing until it actually blows every WP out there away, else the hype is foolish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uh huh...

This viewpoint is pretty inane. Some people have particular desires and goals and for them one device might be the bee's knees and for others a different device would be best. So what. For me personally the form factor size, display size and resolution are exactly what I am looking for at this point in a phone. I also like the 32gb of internal memory, HOWEVER I am pretty disappointed there is no SD Card Slot. And it has QI wireless charging....

So this is pretty close to my ideal phone, but it really isn't. My ideal phone at this point will have all those features plus a SD Card Slot.

So you aren't excited about the phone, so what! Other people are excited and want to buy it. I am happy for them and I hope they are satisfied with it. Personally I just got a new red 920 a couple of weeks ago and I'll buy a phone like what I described about a year or so from now.....

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
uh huh...

This viewpoint is pretty inane. Some people have particular desires and goals and for them one device might be the bee's knees and for others a different device would be best. So what. For me personally the form factor size, display size and resolution are exactly what I am looking for at this point in a phone. I also like the 32gb of internal memory, HOWEVER I am pretty disappointed there is no SD Card Slot. And it has QI wireless charging....

So this is pretty close to my ideal phone, but it really isn't. My ideal phone at this point will have all those features plus a SD Card Slot.

So you aren't excited about the phone, so what! Other people are excited and want to buy it. I am happy for them and I hope they are satisfied with it. Personally I just got a new red 920 a couple of weeks ago and I'll buy a phone like what I described about a year or so from now.....

I agree, BUT I would suggest that the longer the phone is allowed to exist in limbo the less desirable it becomes. Like any consumer might view it... Everything is good right up until something better comes along. The phone is "high end" only because it's competition (in the WP world at least) is mostly "mid range." and the requirements of the platform allow it to be competitive longer. I just don't understand why Nokia insists on making damn sure the phone you can buy is always spec'd to last year's flagship instead of this year's technology. Don't get me wrong, as of today, I'm buying the phone. However, let's not kid ourselves, 2K screen, snapdragon 805, ect. is 2014 technology, whether you NEED it or not. The fact remains you can only ride the camera on a phone and price so far... and the gap is closing fast. If Nokia doesn't get their game on they are going to become a "one trick pony" and remain relegated to a distant third. Developing countries may continue to increase market share, but the big consumer markets are going to move on to better things by April. Someone needs to wake up. Reality is knocking!

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The notion of " needing it " is a moot point. I never thought I'd need a hard drive. I never thought I'd need anti lock brakes.

Steve jobs never held a focus group because he wasn't concerned about what other people thought they needed. He created products they didn't even fathom they'd ever need before they knew it.

People are going to flock to new technologies even if they don't need them. That's how this game works.

The so called icon is already yesterday's news in terms of technology. That's just a fact and that was my only point.

Other than the screen size change its not offering anything that hasn't been on the market for months from non Verizon carriers.

I think all this hype is being driven by Verizon users who feel they are on the outside looking in. I get that.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
It's not really an issue related directly to Verizon as much as the platform. It's Nokia, Microsoft, Samsung and HTC that have made the decision not to play in the WP space with an honest set of devices. Put a 1080p 5 inch screen on the 1020 and maybe you have something. Problem is, they will probably do that right around the time that becomes ho hum tech. The 1520 is really the only REAL phone on the platform but if it were Android there would be several variants or alternatives to it with differing screen sizes and form factors all within the Samsung or Nokia line.

I do not like Verizon because they compound an already existing issue by delaying release of the phones but to be honest, it doesn't really matter what carrier you have. If you don't want a giant block of a phone, you've got nowhere to go anyway. THAT needs to be fixed at the OEM level. It's not all Verizon.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I know the 929 is last years technology but you know I've kinda gotten used to that. Its not Nokia's fault, Nokia is doing an incredible job. Microsoft manages to push out the software a good 6 months too late and Verizon lets us wait another 6 months. That's why other carriers and windows phone get 6 month old phones and Verizon customers are stuck with the one year old phones. Nothing is going to change, its been this way from the start and I've gotten used to it. Yeah it does suck.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I agree, BUT I would suggest that the longer the phone is allowed to exist in limbo the less desirable it becomes. Like any consumer might view it... Everything is good right up until something better comes along. The phone is "high end" only because it's competition (in the WP world at least) is mostly "mid range." and the requirements of the platform allow it to be competitive longer. I just don't understand why Nokia insists on making damn sure the phone you can buy is always spec'd to last year's flagship instead of this year's technology. Don't get me wrong, as of today, I'm buying the phone. However, let's not kid ourselves, 2K screen, snapdragon 805, ect. is 2014 technology, whether you NEED it or not. The fact remains you can only ride the camera on a phone and price so far... and the gap is closing fast. If Nokia doesn't get their game on they are going to become a "one trick pony" and remain relegated to a distant third. Developing countries may continue to increase market share, but the big consumer markets are going to move on to better things by April. Someone needs to wake up. Reality is knocking!

There are a couple of bad things about being on the cutting edge of the kind of tech that you're talking about that Android (and sometimes iPhone) devices get.

1) Cost - They WILL be the most expensive devices out there and you will pay $250+ on contract and maybe $650-700 off.

2) Usefulness - Usually tech like that isn't being taken advantage of at all for many many months if at all before newer devices are available. So your paying for potential instead of actuality.

One thing I can say about the advances that Nokia has made with WP is that you can see the benefits immediately. They've put R&D money into camera technology that is immediately noticeable and useful. Also into wireless charging, which again has immediate uses. Faster processors and higher resolution screens are noticeable as well, but only once apps take advantage of them. I

'm not seeing anything in 2k screens or the new Snapdragon processor at this point that I'd be lacking by getting an Icon. My bigger concern is new Nokia or WP tech that AT&T will get first and with timed exclusivity that those of us on Verizon will be looking at with longing eyes ...

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
There are a couple of bad things about being on the cutting edge of the kind of tech that you're talking about that Android (and sometimes iPhone) devices get.

1) Cost - They WILL be the most expensive devices out there and you will pay $250+ on contract and maybe $650-700 off.

2) Usefulness - Usually tech like that isn't being taken advantage of at all for many many months if at all before newer devices are available. So your paying for potential instead of actuality.

One thing I can say about the advances that Nokia has made with WP is that you can see the benefits immediately. They've put R&D money into camera technology that is immediately noticeable and useful. Also into wireless charging, which again has immediate uses. Faster processors and higher resolution screens are noticeable as well, but only once apps take advantage of them. I

'm not seeing anything in 2k screens or the new Snapdragon processor at this point that I'd be lacking by getting an Icon. My bigger concern is new Nokia or WP tech that AT&T will get first and with timed exclusivity that those of us on Verizon will be looking at with longing eyes ...

All valid. Good points. I'm arguing more from a marketing perspective in favor of growing the WP share (because I love the platform and want it to succeed), than from the perspective of an informed user like yourself. However I'm new to WP and I'm completely blown away by the slow, embarrassing pace by which WP "evolves " and by the ambivalent attitude Verizon has towards the entire process. I just can't believe I've upgraded 4 out of 5 lines (all were originally destined for WP) since July and STILL can't get my hands on a handset that isn't reviewed with "if you can deal with a..." before every conclusion.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The bottom line is that any success that WP has is in spite of Verizon. I have been buying phones for our company for many years and I'm telling you that just talking about WP with my Verizon account rep is a one way conversation as I may as well be talking to a door knob. The same person knows everything about the iPhone and android phones.

jgraves1107

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Bottom line here is lack of apps and bugs. Most people don't want to restart a phone every day. The QI charging is wonky, restart every day to get the battery meter corrected. Nokia has a touch screen bug they won't admit to. Yes all phones have bugs, but come on. When your WP tells you to insert the windows disk to try and repair it. Really! They kinda need to quit making apps we want for android and IOS. Instead Microsoft seems like they really don't care what happens with WP. Usefulness of a device is user dependent, not tech based. The 929 has no upward gain against the 928 as far as I can see. Ooo 20MP camera, I just don't see that as a jump. They opt to tease you with a CPU and camera rather than make apps and focus on the OS. Sad my wife left the 928 only a week after getting it because of two stupid apps that make her money. They say there is no need for a WP app. Why? Because the U.S. based WP market is non existent compared to IOS and android. What good is the hardware if no one makes the apps we need? I love the picture quality! But if that's all I'm getting then it may be a waste of time to keep hoping Microsoft will wake up.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line here is lack of apps and bugs. Most people don't want to restart a phone every day. The QI charging is wonky, restart every day to get the battery meter corrected. Nokia has a touch screen bug they won't admit to. Yes all phones have bugs, but come on. When your WP tells you to insert the windows disk to try and repair it. Really! They kinda need to quit making apps we want for android and IOS. Instead Microsoft seems like they really don't care what happens with WP. Usefulness of a device is user dependent, not tech based. The 929 has no upward gain against the 928 as far as I can see. Ooo 20MP camera, I just don't see that as a jump. They opt to tease you with a CPU and camera rather than make apps and focus on the OS. Sad my wife left the 928 only a week after getting it because of two stupid apps that make her money. They say there is no need for a WP app. Why? Because the U.S. based WP market is non existent compared to IOS and android. What good is the hardware if no one makes the apps we need? I love the picture quality! But if that's all I'm getting then it may be a waste of time to keep hoping Microsoft will wake up.

The false information here is too much for me. I can't decide if this should be ignored or addressed.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077