Data usage?

Matthew Moore4

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
So I'm either going to switch to ATT for the 1520 or hold out for the mysterious Icon, but either way, I'm wondering what type of data plan I'll need. I do not ever stream music, and when I do stream a movie I'm connected to Wi-Fi.

I never download songs, movies, or Apps unless I'm on Wi-Fi. Data usage would be primarily email (maybe 10-15 emails per day) and Social Networking.

Think I could get away with a 300 mb plan on ATT or 500 mb on Verizon? Do LiveTiles accrue a lot of data since they're constantly updating?

Thanks for your help. I'm new to WP.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got away with the 300 MB plan earlier on ATT.

My email usage was much lighter, BUT web browsing and social networking on cellular was likely heavier.

but needless to say it doesn't leave as much room for error.

Live Tiles update every so often for more static info and frequently for notifications. They shouldn't burn through data unless you use an app that uses a lot of data to update the tile. (e.g. Bing Weather pulls a few bytes to update the weather tile, yet Tumblr pulls pictures and other stuff to update its tile. and obviously uses more. (and thats where small tiles and background tasks options come into play))

EDIT: Important detail I forgot is that I have a French ROM not the original US ATT one on my 920 meaning I have Data Sense. I kept a close watch on my Data Usage and tuned it accordingly. You may not have that luxury.

Last edited:

Gawain

May 18, 2011
Visit site
So I'm either going to switch to ATT for the 1520 or hold out for the mysterious Icon, but either way, I'm wondering what type of data plan I'll need. I do not ever stream music, and when I do stream a movie I'm connected to Wi-Fi.

I never download songs, movies, or Apps unless I'm on Wi-Fi. Data usage would be primarily email (maybe 10-15 emails per day) and Social Networking.

Think I could get away with a 300 mb plan on ATT or 500 mb on Verizon? Do LiveTiles accrue a lot of data since they're constantly updating?

I'm the type of guy that would rather have too much and not need it, than need it and not have enough. The 300MB plan is for people that never leave the house. You'll burn through that data in no time. Start on a 2GB plan and work your way back. AT&T sends text notifications if you reach 65% of your plan, then again at 90% and 95% before you get dinged on overage (by which time you should have upped your plan anyway).

If you buy the phone on contract, 300MB would cost you $60 per month. If you go over, the next 300MB is $20!! It's the rate plan that AT&T made as distasteful as possible, but probably secretly hopes you'll take.

Save the headache, get 2 or 4GB first and then scale back. If your usage is really trending below 150MB per month, then you have a case for the small data plan, anything else is going to zap you.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
We have 9 928's on a family plan and use under 3GB/month total. We all use Wi-Fi and don't stream so it works for us.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
We have 9 928's on a family plan and use under 3GB/month total. We all use Wi-Fi and don't stream so it works for us.

Daaang! Even when I used to use Wi-Fi, I would still get about 2-3GB just for me a month. Now I use six or seven (I moved out to the country where there is no cable/cheap, high-speed internet). I feel like all I do is reddit and check mails. I guess I do download apps every now and then...

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
:shocked:

Daaang! Even when I used to use Wi-Fi, I would still get about 2-3GB just for me a month. Now I use six or seven (I moved out to the country where there is no cable/cheap, high-speed internet). I feel like all I do is reddit and check mails. I guess I do download apps every now and then...

Haha, quite obviously we have a bunch of minimal users on the plan. But 4 of us actually consume quite a bit of data. Datasense usually pegs us around 10GB per phone total Wi-Fi and cell.(more if we are streaming) If one of us goes on a trip we'll often have to bump up the plan for the month because we aren't on Wi-Fi. If we all go on a trip together our phones have to go on a data diet and we have to bump up to at least the 8GB plan, LOL. But, my point is, you don't always need a huge data package.

bertongbadtrip

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

What plan are you on Vzw right now? We have single line, $45 (250 Mb) or $60 (1 GB) plans. Both have unlimited text and talk. You could probably get away with either one.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

If you are using Wi-Fi how are you using any data?

I stream stuff everyday. Music, podcast's, Netflix....so does my daughter. My wife and son don't really stream much. I have a 4GB shared plan and most of the time never hit 2. Now when I'm out on the road a lot and streaming then I can get close to 4 rather easily.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a 928 on Verizon, with unlimited data. I've held onto my plan for years, thinking I had to be very careful about losing it. But recently I started considering switching to AT&T for their superior assortment and timely release of new WP devices. When I actually went back and looked at my data usage on VZW I found that I use virtually nothing.

On average I use about 0.1 GB of data per month. In the last few months the absolute most I've used is 0.4 GB. I am always connected to WiFi at home and in my office, and I don't stream media of any sort.

There will always be little blips of data use that go through even when you're on WiFi (maybe your WiFi signal cuts for a second for instance), but it adds up to almost nothing. It really just depends on how much WiFi access you have and how often you might be accessing data when you're not connected.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have a 928 on Verizon, with unlimited data. I've held onto my plan for years, thinking I had to be very careful about losing it. But recently I started considering switching to AT&T for their superior assortment and timely release of new WP devices. When I actually went back and looked at my data usage on VZW I found that I use virtually nothing.

On average I use about 0.1 GB of data per month. In the last few months the absolute most I've used is 0.4 GB. I am always connected to WiFi at home and in my office, and I don't stream media of any sort.

There will always be little blips of data use that go through even when you're on WiFi (maybe your WiFi signal cuts for a second for instance), but it adds up to almost nothing. It really just depends on how much WiFi access you have and how often you might be accessing data when you're not connected.

In your case it would be cheaper to drop the unlimited data plan and go with one of their new plans with low data.

KevinRahimi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
In your case it would be cheaper to drop the unlimited data plan and go with one of their new plans with low data.

If you talk to a rep, they are offering a 6GB share plan for $30 + the $40 for each smartphone which is a great deal. I was considering AT&T their 6GB Plan (although the 10GB plan is about the same price because each phone is $15 instead of $25).
Anyway, Verizon (before & after my business discount) comes out cheaper for 2 people.

Residing

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
OP, your habits sound a bit like my own...I have a Lumia 900 and I use a GoPhone (3G) sim. I pay 10 cents/minute to talk, and I purchase data packages for $5 (which gives me 50MB). The most I've purchased for data was $10 in a single month (and it only happened one time). I switch my data 'on' through settings whenever I want to check my email/surf a couple of sites, then turn it off. When I am at home, if I need to use my phone for downloading apps, I use wi-fi. I probably pay about $15-$20 month for talk, text, and data.

I'm thinking of signing up for the Next program for the Lumia 1020, and with their current special, it will be $45 for service which includes 300MB of data. But, I really don't want to pay for something that I won't use (I won't use that much data), so I'm thinking about just purchasing the Lumia 1020 sim free and just continue to use my current sim.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I must admit I'm kind of envious of you guys using and having such low data plans. I have two teenagers with 5c's and my 928 with no wifi at work. 10GB data plan and I cringe during the last few days of the billing cycle.:unhappysweat:

EDIT: I should add that I also have two tablets on the plan but I turn data off completely 90% of the time.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site

I've considered that. Part of my equation though is that I still have my parents on my plan - they have just basic flip phones. I've crunched the numbers and it would be quite a bit more over a 2-year span for us to sign a deal.

I do have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that if I were to sign a deal, say, with AT&T, that I would regret giving up my unlimited data at a later date. Like maybe in a year or two there really will be a reason I might want to stream music (like if Xbox Music ever stops being horrible) or video. I'm having a difficult time deciding what I want to do.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I must admit I'm kind of envious of you guys using and having such low data plans. I have two teenagers with 5c's and my 928 with no wifi at work. 10GB data plan and I cringe during the last few days of the billing cycle.:unhappysweat:

EDIT: I should add that I also have two tablets on the plan but I turn data off completely 90% of the time.

If you ever want to trade...

Isadora Moustata

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
When I purchased my 1520 via AT&T in November I was told I had to upgrade to another data plan, because my current data plan was not compatible. I have the least expensive plan available which give me 3072 MB per month which did not seem to be enough the first month I had my phone due to apps running in the background. I only have 2 or 3 running in the background now and all seems well. One caveat is there seems to be an issue with the phone indicating it is connected to Wi-Fi, but when I update an app, it updates on the cellular network; a soft reset takes care of that problem. I have a great app called Phonometer that helps me double-check whether the phone is using Wi-Fi or cellular.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes