Will go live tonight!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Well I'm far from poor....but I don't generally flush money either. Sure seems like more and more people (especially around here) have multiple phones. I can see if you have a "work" phone that "work" is paying for......other than that???
I get what you are saying. I only have one daily driver and a couple of old backups. Some people go a little overboard with their tech obsession. Some remarked earlier, (not here on theVerge) of how they spent almost $2000 on gadgets last year. That's overboard.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I get what you are saying. I only have one daily driver and a couple of old backups. Some people go a little overboard with their tech obsession. Some remarked earlier, (not here on theVerge) of how they spent almost $2000 on gadgets last year. That's overboard.

Is it really overboard?
If someone bought an iPad, a PS4 and an Xbox One they'd be near that.

How do you know it isn't someone that is single and doesn't take many vacations? The average person spends way more than that on kids and travel.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Is it really overboard?
If someone bought an iPad, a PS4 and an Xbox One they'd be near that.

How do you know it isn't someone that is single and doesn't take many vacations? The average person spends way more than that on kids and travel.

Listen, its *MY* opinion. I think it is overboard. I think if some tech geeks used an app like Mint and saw what they spent their money on, they would be shocked at the results. I spent around $300 or so eating out since august. That's just one example. I understand wanting new tech, and if you can afford go ahead. But if you know better than to spend thousands of dollars on tech you shouldn't. I am cheap person though. I get a new phone once a year and that`s it for me. I now have HP Split X2 and love it. If anything I want a Windows Phone but believe me when I say I`m buying refurbished or used on ebay for no more than $200.

Dragonblade

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Spoke to a rep over the phone who had no clue about when it was coming...
He did Know about the phone just not when it was being released.
My Opinion is that it will be Annouced at MWC then released on March 5th just like the @Evleaks suggested

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Listen, its *MY* opinion. I think it is overboard. I think if some tech geeks used an app like Mint and saw what they spent their money on, they would be shocked at the results. I spent around $300 or so eating out since august. That's just one example. I understand wanting new tech, and if you can afford go ahead. But if you know better than to spend thousands of dollars on tech you shouldn't. I am cheap person though. I get a new phone once a year and that`s it for me. I now have HP Split X2 and love it. If anything I want a Windows Phone but believe me when I say I`m buying refurbished or used on ebay for no more than $200.

I remember when $2000 meant a lot to me too.... :wink:

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't care how much money I make when I get older I rather stay the way I am. I am not materialistic anyways. Things come and go.

I'm just teasing you. I just find it odd that you even bring it up. Some people spend more on certain things that they value more than others. Others live frugally no matter what. Who cares?

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I get a new phone once a year and that`s it for me.

I get a new phone once every two years....when my contract expires. I'm on "month to month" right now (beyond 2 years) just waiting for the Damn Icon to show up.

But....that being said, I'm a bit of a hobby freak and blow money on (generally speaking) useless crap that I find fun. The latest being collecting pinball machines.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I get a new phone once every two years....when my contract expires. I'm on "month to month" right now (beyond 2 years) just waiting for the Damn Icon to show up.

But....that being said, I'm a bit of a hobby freak and blow money on (generally speaking) useless crap that I find fun. The latest being collecting pinball machines.

I want the ST:TNG pinball so bad. Its really the only pinball that ever was a compulsive play for me. Medieval Madness would be second place in my mind, although its a distant second.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I want the ST:TNG pinball so bad. Its really the only pinball that ever was a compulsive play for me. Medieval Madness would be second place in my mind, although its a distant second.

I have a STTNG Pinball Machine! It is my all time favorite pin. MM is great.....but way over priced/hyped. I used to have a Lord of the Rings (LOTR). Also a great pin but personally I like STTNG better.

Here is a pic of my ST:

DSC00175 (517x775).jpg

As you can see it's sitting next to my "Getaway" (AKA - HS2) and World Cup Soccer 94 (WCS94).

The STTNG has a color display upgrade. I also added lasers to the cannons and custom painted the Borg ship.....along with a few other mods.

Sorry for the OT posting.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Spoke to a rep over the phone who had no clue about when it was coming...
He did Know about the phone just not when it was being released.
My Opinion is that it will be Annouced at MWC then released on March 5th just like the @Evleaks suggested

Yea... He also suggested Feb 5th. Basically none of the "leaks" have been worth much. The most accurate leaker seems to be the webmaster at Verizon who has no clue what he is doing... But at least put something real up.

How hard is it to predict two dates in two separate months. I don't even do it for a living and I can tell you within two months of when the GS5 or LG G3 or HTC 1.2 will be out. Plus Daniel Rubino said it would be out before MWC and many leaks have specifically stated that the Icon will not be part of Nokia/Microsoft's presentation. Big mess of nothing but silence and pathetic marketing.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm just teasing you. I just find it odd that you even bring it up. Some people spend more on certain things that they value more than others. Others live frugally no matter what. Who cares?
I gave an opinion before (post #44) and someone didn't like it and now we are here. I can see some hobbies and everything but, with tech because it devalues so quickly, that its nonsensical (first time ever using that word) to constantly blow money on it because you will be hard pressed to make back the same amount of money you spend on it. But anyways it`s their money and not mine, and from a tech point for me, I want a windows phone dammit and then I`ll be good until next year sometime.

Tjarren

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I was just speaking with someone in corporate being I filed a complaint about lack of info on the phone. Take this with a grain of salt, she that the delay of the device isn't Verizon doing and it's Nokia. She told me that Nokia provides the dates to Verizon and then they make the announcement.

This may be confirmation bias on my part, but that sure does lead credence to my regrettable prediction earlier last month that AT&T had a 3 month exclusivity window starting with the release of the 1520 for any device in that 'family'. If Nokia is providing the holdup, that sure would make it seem the case, wouldn't it?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I opened the package!

A few hours ago I made it back from the business! The workers there were very tired as it was the end of the day, but one wished me a good evening as I left. Here is how it went. First of all the package was pretty well locked down, so I had to use my key to open the seal. After I opened the main compartment, there was something blocking the interior from my full view. It wasn't of any significance so I just moved it to the side. Once opened, inside it was jet black without power, as expected. Turning on the power was just a matter of finding the power on the side. When I say this baby lit up with power, it is an understatement! The light from the power up permeated the vicinity! The glass offered near perfect reflection! Looking around, I can see that nothing was out of place. The sight gave me a sense of serene peace. Thats all for now, let me settle in with it.

disclaimer: this is a true story dramatized when I left my work for my package (home) on a non specific day

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb