02-17-2014 12:35 AM
115 1234 ...
tools
    Are you new to Verizon? You must be to think some other high end WP device will be coming anytime soon. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Verizon all of a sudden is going to start putting out new WP devices when they come out. They took this long to come out with the Icon. Why would you think they would be any faster in releasing another top shelf WP device, IF they were to get another one soon?

If you want a WP device on Verizon, the Icon is the phone to get. Period. Don't expect something better to come out anytime soon. Not on Verizon at least. Do yourself a favor and get the Icon when it comes out. Im sure you'll be more than satisfied.
    I'm not all that dissatisfied with my current situation and the Icon doesn't particularly wow me. I know what I want for my next phone and I don't know if the Icon is really it, so I have no problem waiting.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry
    02-08-2014 10:38 PM
    I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Verizon all of a sudden is going to start putting out new WP devices when they come out. They took this long to come out with the Icon. Why would you think they would be any faster in releasing another top shelf WP device, IF they were to get another one soon?
    Verizon delayed releasing the 929 trying to get better terms with the new owner of Nokia:

Verizon Lumia 929 Might Have Been Delayed Until February | Ubergizmo

I expect Windows phones to be coming out as quickly as they do on AT&T.

P.S. I am not saying not to buy the 929. It seems like a great phone.
    Last edited by thedogscar; 02-08-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    02-08-2014 10:46 PM
    I'm only going to get the Icon if it is $99 or less with contact. Normally I'd pay the usual $199 but this delay by Verizon has reduced my interest level. I'd rather wait to get from Amazon at a discount if it is $199 or more at launch.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
    02-08-2014 11:01 PM
    Yeah I'm an off contract buyer. I will constantly purchase the top end Lumia on Verizon, on release date, no matter how close together or far apart they are.
    02-08-2014 11:15 PM
    The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. But now, I'm just not sure. Would it be wise to wait until the 8.1 hardware (if they quit it with the carrier exclusives and release the good stuff across the board)? I know that the device is obviously upgradable, but with 64 bit processors becoming popular, is it worth it to buy a phone without one?

For me, I guess the main factors come down to the price, how it feels in hand, and the battery life. I'm obviously assuming the performance is fantastic as it's a smaller 1520 and that rides up near the 5s as far as benchmarks go. I'm also assuming the camera is fantastic as usual and it appears that the speakers should be good too. But the battery life looks a little iffy. A device that powerful with that size battery...I would just be worried that I would end up with a phone with battery life like my Z10. And price, who knows? We will see.

So I'm curious how everyone else here feels about the device? Do you still plan on getting it and why or why not? Just your main thoughts in general.

1) It was "supposed" to be released when VZW announced it. Are considering not purchasing something (or advocating such) because the rumor mill, which knows no more than anyone else, posted things that were not true?
    2) Following the logic above, are you planning on waiting for the next rumored phone and pass on that too when it is not released on the rumor mill's time table. If so, you have a long wait ahead of you.
    3) People should make purchase decisions based upon what they need and can afford. Timing of release is absolutely irrelevant to the equation unless one is required to make a purchase before the release of the new product they want.
    admorris#AC likes this.
    02-09-2014 01:40 AM
    Our work group has 32 phones, most of which are iPhones and Android. We have a state educational contract with Verizon so carrier choice is not an option.

We have had zero issues with the iPhones other than people dropping them and smashing the glass. We've had several issues with the Android phones compared to the iPhones.

Being a work environment we need dependable hardware. Our IT guys have enough to do without worrying about phones too.

Having said that we waited on the sidelines to see what WP was going to evolve into. Would it survive? Would we be opening more problems? What WP phone options did we have?

I think the Icon is worth trying out. Up till now our Verizon WPs were basically two. The 928 and HTC 8x neither of which were anything anybody in our group was interested in. Android users like the larger screens and slide out keyboards. iPhone users like the small screen size and rock solid dependability.

The Icon will be a new experience and I look forward to giving it a fair shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    02-09-2014 05:17 AM
    The phone is nice. I'd wait for it if I were you.

I mean 5 inches is perfect. The S4 is REALLY the perfect size. I thought it would be big but I held my dad's and was blown away. Perfect. I still love my 920 but I'd definitely put my cash on that if it's available in my country.
    02-09-2014 05:23 AM
    1) It was "supposed" to be released when VZW announced it. Are considering not purchasing something (or advocating such) because the rumor mill, which knows no more than anyone else, posted things that were not true?
    2) Following the logic above, are you planning on waiting for the next rumored phone and pass on that too when it is not released on the rumor mill's time table. If so, you have a long wait ahead of you.
    3) People should make purchase decisions based upon what they need and can afford. Timing of release is absolutely irrelevant to the equation unless one is required to make a purchase before the release of the new product they want.
    Maybe if you read on, you would have seen that I had no problem with waiting because I have no real true "need" to upgrade now.

02-09-2014 07:02 AM
    Maybe if you read on, you would have seen that I had no problem with waiting because I have no real true "need" to upgrade now.

Well then, you answered your own question. Silly thread really...as someone stated, you could play the waiting game indefinitely. There will ALWAYS be another updated phone with better battery/specs on the horizon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    A895 likes this.
    02-09-2014 07:21 AM
    The 805 modem is twice as fast as the one on the 800 all while greatly improving battery life on LTE. The 805 also has better thermals.

Once again, you have answered your own question. If you know these things to be true, why are you asking us? I seriously doubt there will be a huge difference with WP using an 805 vs 800 processor. As I stated, smooth and fast is smooth and fast no matter what processor you are using.

A895 likes this.
    02-09-2014 07:24 AM
    Well then, you answered your own question. Silly thread really...as someone stated, you could play the waiting game indefinitely. There will ALWAYS be another updated phone with better battery/specs on the horizon.

Not a silly thread. I was asking what everyone else planned on doing

02-09-2014 07:42 AM
    Once again, you have answered your own question. If you know these things to be true, why are you asking us? I seriously doubt there will be a huge difference with WP using an 805 vs 800 processor. As I stated, smooth and fast is smooth and fast no matter what processor you are using.

Not specific to WP, this is in general. And I'm saying those are main improvements for battery life, which I don't know if the Icon will be enough for me which is why I'm thinking of waiting.

02-09-2014 07:44 AM
    if it's adequately priced and they make a non-Verizon version, I will trade my 820 in a heartbeat.
    02-09-2014 08:25 AM
    I can not have said it better than posters before me. This is the WP to get if you are on Verizon. No ifs, ands, or buts. From November to now February we have been waiting. Now we are ready. That new technology processors you were saying OP, you know how long it took for phones to incorporate it? It took till fall with the LG G2 to have the Snapdragon 800. This 805 will probably not hit consumers until fall again. The Snapdragon 800 is a performance beast on it`s own and it will be one of 2 other devices (LG G2 and Note 3) to have the 800 on Verizon alone! There is no reason to wait anymore unless you are fine where you are at but, if you want a new Windows Phone on Verizon this is it. Probably the best bet seeing how the 928 was the only windows phone released on VZW last year.
    Old_Cus likes this.
    02-09-2014 08:42 AM
    Not a silly thread. I was asking what everyone else planned on doing

"Should we resist..." is not the same as asking other people what they're planning on doing. This thread really is silly.
    02-09-2014 02:21 PM
    All of this anger is manifested from them not releasing a phone around a rumor release date. I would understand and be equally upset if they officially announced the phone and then delayed it for a couple months. But up until the last month noone would even acknowledge its existence. Also, if your on verizon, there won't be another WP8 phone for quite sometime.

I also don't buy the existence of the 1820 or 1520v.
    02-09-2014 02:29 PM
    I also don't buy the existence of the 1820 or 1520v.
    Naw, the internet tech journalists said there would be an 1820 and a 1520v at MWC. So they will probably come out then. After all, no one on the internet ever lies or makes stuff up. There's only integrity and altruism when it comes to bloggers. Plus, I saw this great picture posted by this site that said "LUMIA" on it. So they're definitely legit.
    02-09-2014 02:36 PM
    Oh I certainly think the 1820 and a 1520v will show up........eventually. I'm certainly not going to wait around to find out when that might be. I'll probably get at least a good six months in on my Icon before they even have a prayer of being released by Verizon.
    02-09-2014 02:59 PM
    "Should we resist..." is not the same as asking other people what they're planning on doing. This thread really is silly.
    Yeah...I was asking if we should pass by or not and what everyone one doing. If you missed that then I'm sorry.

02-09-2014 03:00 PM
    Yeah...I was asking if we should pass by or not and what everyone one doing. If you missed that then I'm sorry.

So you meant... "Should we resist the urge to buy"? Because that's not what the thread title says.
    02-09-2014 03:02 PM
    So you meant... "Should we resist the urge to buy"? Because that's not what the thread title says.
    ...it means the same thing...what do you think I meant? "Should we resist to cook the Lumia Icon?" "Should we resist to smash the Lumia Icon?" I thought it was pretty clear about buying it.

02-09-2014 03:26 PM
    ...it means the same thing...what do you think I meant? "Should we resist to cook the Lumia Icon?" "Should we resist to smash the Lumia Icon?" I thought it was pretty clear about buying it.

Resist | Define Resist at Dictionary.com

When you don't use clarifying verb there, it actually says to "resist the Icon." It says a lot more than not buying it. It sounds a lot more like a call to resist the phone itself, and in doing so, the company putting it out. Taking it to it's furthest conclusion, it sounds like a militant call to oppose the phone to teach Verizon a lesson.
    Astropin likes this.
    02-09-2014 03:54 PM
    The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat.
    When was is "supposed" to launch? Seems to me it's really only supposed to launch after Verizon officially announces it......no?

My main concern is the battery life.
    I suppose that could be an issue if your a major power user. Seems like most phones end up getting 3rd party batteries and cases to up the juice.....even on uni-body "non-replaceable" devices. I know I've installed batteries in Apple devices in the past.

That is a good point, however, I wonder with the sale to Microsoft if they're going to handle things differently, like releasing the same model (obviously different variants for bands but the same model) across all carriers as I think it would be the smart thing to do.
    Microsoft has nothing to do with it. Verizon and only Verizon decides which devises they release and when.

I'm not all that dissatisfied with my current situation and the Icon doesn't particularly wow me. I know what I want for my next phone and I don't know if the Icon is really it, so I have no problem waiting.
    So the Icon is "an awesome phone"........but also kind of "meh"?

"Should we resist the Lumia Icon?"
    Not if you want the BEST WP experience on Verizon.........for a loooooong time to come.
    02-09-2014 03:57 PM
    When was is "supposed" to launch? Seems to me it's really only supposed to launch after Verizon officially announces it......no?

I suppose that could be an issue if your a major power user. Seems like most phones end up getting 3rd party batteries and cases to up the juice.....even on uni-body "non-replaceable" devices. I know I've installed batteries in Apple devices in the past.

Microsoft has nothing to do with it. Verizon and only Verizon decides which devises they release and when.

So the Icon is "an awesome phone"........but also kind of "meh"?

Not if you want the BEST WP experience on Verizon.........for a loooooong time to come.
    Rumors were pretty strong that it was supposed to release earlier.

When I was talking about Microsoft I meant I wonder if they would quit it with the carrier exclusivity.

The Note III is an awesome phone bit it still doesn't do it for me. Just because something is awesome doesn't mean that it's the phone for me.

02-09-2014 04:22 PM
    Resist | Define Resist at Dictionary.com

When you don't use clarifying verb there, it actually says to "resist the Icon." It says a lot more than not buying it. It sounds a lot more like a call to resist the phone itself, and in doing so, the company putting it out. Taking it to it's furthest conclusion, it sounds like a militant call to oppose the phone to teach Verizon a lesson.
    Honestly, you're really going to sit there and pointlessly pick apart word choices? Anyone with common sense could have figured out what I meant. Besides, "resisting the phone itself"...doesn't that mean not buying it? That's what I meant. Why would it have anything to do with resisting Verizon or Nokia as a whole? I'm talking about one phone.

This argument is very off topic anyway.

02-09-2014 04:25 PM
115 1234 ...