02-17-2014 12:35 AM
115 12345
tools
    I have posted this in other 929 threads, I too was ready to jump on this phone around Thanksgiving/Christmas. Now my thoughts are to stay with BlackBerry and switch from my Z10 t0 the Z30. Not that I have anything against the Icon, I'm just saying that I was ready to make a more impulsive switch to WP back then. Not really sure why. Maybe I will wait until I can get my paws on an Icon, but the Z30 is pretty tempting.
    02-09-2014 04:33 PM
    I have posted this in other 929 threads, I too was ready to jump on this phone around Thanksgiving/Christmas. Now my thoughts are to stay with BlackBerry and switch from my Z10 t0 the Z30. Not that I have anything against the Icon, I'm just saying that I was ready to make a more impulsive switch to WP back then. Not really sure why. Maybe I will wait until I can get my paws on an Icon, but the Z30 is pretty tempting.
    Thank you for not ripping me apart! My plan was to pass on the Z30 and get the Icon. But now since it's been so long, I'm not sure if the Icon will be my next phone. I still don't plan on the Z30, but for my upgrade, I don't want to settle for something that doesn't completely fit my needs. So I was kind of planning on waiting it out for the 8.1 hardware. I've got no problem with waiting.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry
    02-09-2014 04:43 PM
    Thank you for not ripping me apart! My plan was to pass on the Z30 and get the Icon. But now since it's been so long, I'm not sure if the Icon will be my next phone. I still don't plan on the Z30, but for my upgrade, I don't want to settle for something that doesn't completely fit my needs. So I was kind of planning on waiting it out for the 8.1 hardware. I've got no problem with waiting.

If the icon came with 8.1 would you get it?
    02-09-2014 04:50 PM
    I can not have said it better than posters before me. This is the WP to get if you are on Verizon. No ifs, ands, or buts. From November to now February we have been waiting. Now we are ready. That new technology processors you were saying OP, you know how long it took for phones to incorporate it? It took till fall with the LG G2 to have the Snapdragon 800. This 805 will probably not hit consumers until fall again. The Snapdragon 800 is a performance beast on it`s own and it will be one of 2 other devices (LG G2 and Note 3) to have the 800 on Verizon alone! There is no reason to wait anymore unless you are fine where you are at but, if you want a new Windows Phone on Verizon this is it. Probably the best bet seeing how the 928 was the only windows phone released on VZW last year.
    As someone who is actively involved with the latest Qualcomm chipsets as part of my job, the 805 is not the huge leap over the 800 that the 800 was over its predecessor. The 805 has a beefed up GPU, a few more supported bands on the optional radio configurations, and a small amount of execution core optimization. That's about it. It did not move to a new process node, in phones it will ship with mostly the same clock frequencies as the 800 (and even in tablets it only supports about 10% higher clock rates), it did not add more execution units or a improved pipeline. Its an incremental update taking advantage of a later generation GPU and some real world information on the CPU performance. Its nice, and if I were putting out a device this fall based on Qualcomm I certainly would ship the 805 rather than the 800. But for end users the gains will be mostly negligible.

Its not enough to make me consider holding off on buying a device. At worst the 800 that is in the Icon will be maybe slightly worse at certain very advanced games at higher resolutions than the phone will support. No big deal, and not enough for me to pretend the 800 is suddenly not itself still a cutting edge chip.
    02-09-2014 04:54 PM
    If the icon came with 8.1 would you get it?
    Not sure. I'm not entirely sure what they're doing with the migration to software buttons if that would end up making a difference down the road if they end up making and changes like menus or something.

02-09-2014 04:56 PM
    If you love the 929, or need something soon, then buy it ... but other Windows phones are on the way:

WPCentral claims, "Windows Phone 8.1, codenamed ‘Blue’, is a forthcoming milestone update to the Microsoft Windows Phone operating system. It is expected to be announced at Microsoft’s Build 2014 conference in April, with new hardware arriving in June."

Windows Phone 8.1 'Blue' | Windows Phone Central

Also, a new Samsung Windows phone has already been submitted to the FCC, with "S4-like features". Which might give you better battery life and a SD slot:

Samsung's SM-W750V "Huron" Window Phone handset hits the FCC, Verizon LTE confirmed
    Last edited by thedogscar; 02-09-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    02-09-2014 04:57 PM
    "Optional on-screen keys for OEMs to use in new hardware"

"All current Windows Phone 8 devices, including the Lumia 520, are expected to receive the update."

I guess I just don't see what the problem is? I also guess I just don't see why everyone is putting 8.1 on this huge pedestal. As said before, its a .1 update not switching to 9.0
    02-09-2014 05:04 PM
    "Optional on-screen keys for OEMs to use in new hardware"

"All current Windows Phone 8 devices, including the Lumia 520, are expected to receive the update."

I guess I just don't see what the problem is?
    I thought that they were doing away with the hardware tactile keys all together?

02-09-2014 05:09 PM
    I thought that they were doing away with the hardware tactile keys all together?

That was taken from the WPC article. I imagine 8.1 is going to be the transition from hardware tactile keys to on screen keys. But there not just gonna stop supporting all of the phones that are on the market, especially when phones like the 928, 1020, 1520 etc haven't even been out that long.
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-09-2014 05:14 PM
    With WP being so smooth on low end hardware, the 64 bit argument is kind of pointless. The snapdragon800 is a beast of a processor and will easily have the phone lasting a 2 year contract. Dont worru about what's right around the corner or you'll be waiting just as long and then will be like "should I wait for 8.2 or whatever it's called"
    IdemanEric and admorris#AC like this.
    02-09-2014 05:51 PM
    I'll get the icon since im on unlimited data still and buying my phones at full price. ESPECIALLY if the battery life is improved over my 928. I barely get 7 hours out of the 928, and if im listening to music on the device or streaming im getting 3-4 hours at the most

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk
    02-09-2014 07:11 PM
    I can't believe there are some people that are actually going to pick a blackberry over the Icon or any other phone for that matter.
    Talk about a mistake you'll regret for the next two years...
    02-09-2014 07:25 PM
    I'll get the icon since im on unlimited data still and buying my phones at full price. ESPECIALLY if the battery life is improved over my 928. I barely get 7 hours out of the 928, and if im listening to music on the device or streaming im getting 3-4 hours at the most

Well this has a higher resolution screen so it will be interesting to see how the Icon performs in the battery department.
    02-09-2014 09:33 PM

Something is definitely wrong with your battery. Cause I'm getting almost double the battery life you are reporting for each
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    02-09-2014 11:11 PM
    Well this has a higher resolution screen so it will be interesting to see how the Icon performs in the battery department.

well it has a higher resolution and a quad core processor which I thought was better on battery management...along with a bigger battery. I know people with phones like the HTC One that are similar in specs and they get all day battery life

Something is definitely wrong with your battery. Cause I'm getting almost double the battery life you are reporting for each
    not sure how? If im not using it much or with light usage with LTE off and connected to WiFi it lasts over a day but with medium to heavy usage its dead in 4-5 hours and that's with only 3-4 background tasks enabled.

I'm hoping the quad core and bigger battery can give the icon battery life comparable to the 1520, and HTC one

just a example from a full battery to this
    and this is just wit Facebook, twitter, instagram and reddit

Last edited by deadwrong03; 02-10-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    02-10-2014 12:27 AM
    I can't believe there are some people that are actually going to pick a blackberry over the Icon or any other phone for that matter.
    Talk about a mistake you'll regret for the next two years...
    Hahaha oh man don't let the guys over at CB see that ;). But as far as the Z30 goes, I don't see how anyone could choose THAT over what's out there now. They chose a year old processor, an awful 720p (5") screen, and the same unimproved Z10 camera for their premium priced phone. If it was between the Icon and the Z30 right now, it would be the Icon all day.

02-10-2014 05:55 AM
    I have been off contract since last fall, and I have been following the Icon closely, because in WP there's no other choice with Verizon. I am not worried about having the latest bleeding edge hardware, but I want something that offers the top specs now so it can keep up during the entire 2-year contract.

I was super psyched when Nokia announced the 1520, My wife has a Note 2 and loves it, so I am not afraid of a bigger phone. I was crushed to find out that ATT got an exclusive on it, and switching carriers is not an option for me. We have over 15 phones on the account, heading to 20, and the coverage in our area isn't even close.

So I am not looking to resist a phone I have waited months for. I am looking to be talked into the Icon, but I have some concerns about the battery life and only 32gb storage, considering the lack of an SD card slot. My 2-year old Razr Maxx has Icon covered on both of these specs with a 3300 mAh battery and SD slot in which I have a 32gb Micro SD - so even with 8gb internal I have 40gb total memory now. Also, my Maxx's 3300 mAh battery gets me through all but the busiest days without a recharge, but it is only powering a dual core processor and a AMOLED 540x960 pixel display. I am sure that the Icon will burn more juice to power that pixel-rich full 1080p display, and unless WP is an extremely power-thrifty OS I just don't see making it through the day. I really don't want to take a step backward in functionality just to switch to WP.

The 1520, with its beefier battery and SD card slot would have made the choice a lot easier. So I feel like I am at 80% going to buy this phone. I will definitely be in the store launch day to hold it in my hand, but realistically, no one is going to be able to answer the battery question any more accurately for weeks or months. If I don't pull the trigger now I will probably go with the Note 3, and just kick myself for not moving sooner.

I would own the Note 3 long ago but I really want to get away from Google (which has increasingly made me feel like a product and not a customer) and can't imagine using a tiny iPhone. So WP has a strong chance of gaining me as a customer - and would have already had me if it wasn't for this stupid ATT exclusivity.

I can't believe that whatever promotions ATT offers Nokia actually net them more sales overall than a unified platform would.
    02-10-2014 07:15 AM
    Have to say I do like the look of it but my L920 contract doesn't end till November :( I'm never getting a 2 year contract again.
    02-10-2014 07:20 AM
    64 bit processors are not going to be able to really be taken advantage of for quite a while, and honestly, the processor in the upcoming Icon is ridiculous overkill for a windows phone.
    Just wanted to say something about this. Most commentators have missed the point about the processor in the iPhone 5S. There are lots of reasons why moving to 64 bits won't, in itself, bring significant gains to smart phones at the moment. A more interesting point is that benchmarks suggest the 5S, which has a dual core processor, performs as well as modern quad core processors used in other phones. Why is that? (Assuming that benchmarks are not testing 64 bit features, which I don't believe they are.) It suggests that the new ARM cores used in the 5S are *very* fast for all code. A first, very vague approximation would suggest that they are twice as fast as previous designs, given that a dual core device can match a quad core device.

These new ARM cores could bring significant performance improvements regardless of the 64 bit support. But I still don't necessarily recommend waiting before buying a new phone.
    02-10-2014 08:37 AM
    Just wanted to say something about this. Most commentators have missed the point about the processor in the iPhone 5S. There are lots of reasons why moving to 64 bits won't, in itself, bring significant gains to smart phones at the moment. A more interesting point is that benchmarks suggest the 5S, which has a dual core processor, performs as well as modern quad core processors used in other phones. Why is that? (Assuming that benchmarks are not testing 64 bit features, which I don't believe they are.) It suggests that the new ARM cores used in the 5S are *very* fast for all code. A first, very vague approximation would suggest that they are twice as fast as previous designs, given that a dual core device can match a quad core device.

These new ARM cores could bring significant performance improvements regardless of the 64 bit support. But I still don't necessarily recommend waiting before buying a new phone.
    The truth is that under Android applications are rarely threaded well enough to take advantage of additional cores. Most run on one core, and system processes use another. After two cores the real world performance impact of additional cores is minimal. Motorola demonstrated this recently with their releases which performed in real world apps equivalently to quad core phones despite only having a dual core design.

iOS may or may not have a better threading model than Android, I could not say since its never been run on a quad core design. Its certainly a more efficient OS though, and in my opinion WP is even better as far as its kernel and utilizing the hardware goes.
    02-10-2014 10:22 AM
    Used Ancient armor, +100% Icon resistances, it was super effective.
    02-10-2014 11:30 AM

Are you doing a lot of video streaming or gaming. I get one to 2 days on a single charge out of my 928. I last charged my phone yesterday at about 10am and I still have 45% charge as we speak. If I spend time gaming or streaming video then my charge will last till the end of the day, but normal usage gets me almost 2 days.
    JBConforti likes this.
    02-10-2014 12:15 PM
    Are you doing a lot of video streaming or gaming. I get one to 2 days on a single charge out of my 928. I last charged my phone yesterday at about 10am and I still have 45% charge as we speak. If I spend time gaming or streaming video then my charge will last till the end of the day, but normal usage gets me almost 2 days.
    I dont do much video streaming at all. The majority of the time I use my phone im using apps and the web browser I might play a game once every 2 weeks.... Video streaming not much. Majority of my time is apps, music and streaming music.

02-10-2014 12:40 PM
    The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. But now, I'm just not sure. Would it be wise to wait until the 8.1 hardware (if they quit it with the carrier exclusives and release the good stuff across the board)? I know that the device is obviously upgradable, but with 64 bit processors becoming popular, is it worth it to buy a phone without one?

For me, I guess the main factors come down to the price, how it feels in hand, and the battery life. I'm obviously assuming the performance is fantastic as it's a smaller 1520 and that rides up near the 5s as far as benchmarks go. I'm also assuming the camera is fantastic as usual and it appears that the speakers should be good too. But the battery life looks a little iffy. A device that powerful with that size battery...I would just be worried that I would end up with a phone with battery life like my Z10. And price, who knows? We will see.

So I'm curious how everyone else here feels about the device? Do you still plan on getting it and why or why not? Just your main thoughts in general.

It is tempting but I need a phone like the ICON except with 64GB or more or expandable storage. I am old school and like my music on my device and not needing to rely on the cloud to stream it (and use up data.)
    02-10-2014 03:56 PM
    New phones have to be released with WP 8.1. If Verizon doesn't have a WP 8.1 device prepped, they are nuts. Either that or wp8.1 will introduce little to no extra hardware features. I can't justify buying the icon a month before the build conference.
    02-10-2014 04:00 PM
115 12345