Should we resist the Lumia Icon?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
While "past performance does not guarantee future results," this is Verizon. The last high end WP they released was the 928 in, what, April? History indicates it'll be a while for another high end WP in Verizon.

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Don't bank on Verizon getting another high end Lumia before the Holidays. It's foolishness.

If you mean Memorial Day / July 4th ... I would agree :wink:

Microsoft bought Nokia on September 2nd. If you truly believe it will take them 15 months to get out their first Flagship phone on Verizon ... you are smoking crack, or the Nokia acquisition will have been a massive failure!!! (which it probably will be ... LOL)

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
While "past performance does not guarantee future results," this is Verizon. The last high end WP they released was the 928 in, what, April? History indicates it'll be a while for another high end WP in Verizon.

That is a good point, however, I wonder with the sale to Microsoft if they're going to handle things differently, like releasing the same model (obviously different variants for bands but the same model) across all carriers as I think it would be the smart thing to do

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Why? We've waited for a very long time for a phone that was supposed to launch in what? November? At this point, it isn't as high end, and we don't know what's around the corner whether there's something in store for 8.1 or not. It's kind of natural when waiting THAT long for something.

Are you new to Verizon? You must be to think some other high end WP device will be coming anytime soon. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Verizon all of a sudden is going to start putting out new WP devices when they come out. They took this long to come out with the Icon. Why would you think they would be any faster in releasing another top shelf WP device, IF they were to get another one soon?

If you want a WP device on Verizon, the Icon is the phone to get. Period. Don't expect something better to come out anytime soon. Not on Verizon at least. Do yourself a favor and get the Icon when it comes out. Im sure you'll be more than satisfied.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually, they haven't bought Nokia yet. Hasn't been finalized, and there are legal prohibitions on certain collaborations in such mergers and buy-sells. It is actually more difficult for the two companies to work together in the interim process.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Are you new to Verizon? You must be to think some other high end WP device will be coming anytime soon. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Verizon all of a sudden is going to start putting out new WP devices when they come out. They took this long to come out with the Icon. Why would you think they would be any faster in releasing another top shelf WP device, IF they were to get another one soon?

If you want a WP device on Verizon, the Icon is the phone to get. Period. Don't expect something better to come out anytime soon. Not on Verizon at least. Do yourself a favor and get the Icon when it comes out. Im sure you'll be more than satisfied.

I'm not all that dissatisfied with my current situation and the Icon doesn't particularly wow me. I know what I want for my next phone and I don't know if the Icon is really it, so I have no problem waiting.

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Verizon all of a sudden is going to start putting out new WP devices when they come out. They took this long to come out with the Icon. Why would you think they would be any faster in releasing another top shelf WP device, IF they were to get another one soon?

Verizon delayed releasing the 929 trying to get better terms with the new owner of Nokia:

Verizon Lumia 929 Might Have Been Delayed Until February | Ubergizmo

I expect Windows phones to be coming out as quickly as they do on AT&T.

P.S. I am not saying not to buy the 929. It seems like a great phone.

Last edited:

jywang

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm only going to get the Icon if it is $99 or less with contact. Normally I'd pay the usual $199 but this delay by Verizon has reduced my interest level. I'd rather wait to get from Amazon at a discount if it is $199 or more at launch.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I'm an off contract buyer. I will constantly purchase the top end Lumia on Verizon, on release date, no matter how close together or far apart they are.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. But now, I'm just not sure. Would it be wise to wait until the 8.1 hardware (if they quit it with the carrier exclusives and release the good stuff across the board)? I know that the device is obviously upgradable, but with 64 bit processors becoming popular, is it worth it to buy a phone without one?

For me, I guess the main factors come down to the price, how it feels in hand, and the battery life. I'm obviously assuming the performance is fantastic as it's a smaller 1520 and that rides up near the 5s as far as benchmarks go. I'm also assuming the camera is fantastic as usual and it appears that the speakers should be good too. But the battery life looks a little iffy. A device that powerful with that size battery...I would just be worried that I would end up with a phone with battery life like my Z10. And price, who knows? We will see.

So I'm curious how everyone else here feels about the device? Do you still plan on getting it and why or why not? Just your main thoughts in general.

1) It was "supposed" to be released when VZW announced it. Are considering not purchasing something (or advocating such) because the rumor mill, which knows no more than anyone else, posted things that were not true?
2) Following the logic above, are you planning on waiting for the next rumored phone and pass on that too when it is not released on the rumor mill's time table. If so, you have a long wait ahead of you.
3) People should make purchase decisions based upon what they need and can afford. Timing of release is absolutely irrelevant to the equation unless one is required to make a purchase before the release of the new product they want.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Our work group has 32 phones, most of which are iPhones and Android. We have a state educational contract with Verizon so carrier choice is not an option.

We have had zero issues with the iPhones other than people dropping them and smashing the glass. We've had several issues with the Android phones compared to the iPhones.

Being a work environment we need dependable hardware. Our IT guys have enough to do without worrying about phones too.

Having said that we waited on the sidelines to see what WP was going to evolve into. Would it survive? Would we be opening more problems? What WP phone options did we have?

I think the Icon is worth trying out. Up till now our Verizon WPs were basically two. The 928 and HTC 8x neither of which were anything anybody in our group was interested in. Android users like the larger screens and slide out keyboards. iPhone users like the small screen size and rock solid dependability.

The Icon will be a new experience and I look forward to giving it a fair shake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
The phone is nice. I'd wait for it if I were you.

I mean 5 inches is perfect. The S4 is REALLY the perfect size. I thought it would be big but I held my dad's and was blown away. Perfect. I still love my 920 but I'd definitely put my cash on that if it's available in my country.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1) It was "supposed" to be released when VZW announced it. Are considering not purchasing something (or advocating such) because the rumor mill, which knows no more than anyone else, posted things that were not true?
2) Following the logic above, are you planning on waiting for the next rumored phone and pass on that too when it is not released on the rumor mill's time table. If so, you have a long wait ahead of you.
3) People should make purchase decisions based upon what they need and can afford. Timing of release is absolutely irrelevant to the equation unless one is required to make a purchase before the release of the new product they want.

Maybe if you read on, you would have seen that I had no problem with waiting because I have no real true "need" to upgrade now.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Maybe if you read on, you would have seen that I had no problem with waiting because I have no real true "need" to upgrade now.

Well then, you answered your own question. Silly thread really...as someone stated, you could play the waiting game indefinitely. There will ALWAYS be another updated phone with better battery/specs on the horizon.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The 805 modem is twice as fast as the one on the 800 all while greatly improving battery life on LTE. The 805 also has better thermals.

Once again, you have answered your own question. If you know these things to be true, why are you asking us? I seriously doubt there will be a huge difference with WP using an 805 vs 800 processor. As I stated, smooth and fast is smooth and fast no matter what processor you are using.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well then, you answered your own question. Silly thread really...as someone stated, you could play the waiting game indefinitely. There will ALWAYS be another updated phone with better battery/specs on the horizon.

Not a silly thread. I was asking what everyone else planned on doing

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Once again, you have answered your own question. If you know these things to be true, why are you asking us? I seriously doubt there will be a huge difference with WP using an 805 vs 800 processor. As I stated, smooth and fast is smooth and fast no matter what processor you are using.

Not specific to WP, this is in general. And I'm saying those are main improvements for battery life, which I don't know if the Icon will be enough for me which is why I'm thinking of waiting.

A895

Banned
Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I can not have said it better than posters before me. This is the WP to get if you are on Verizon. No ifs, ands, or buts. From November to now February we have been waiting. Now we are ready. That new technology processors you were saying OP, you know how long it took for phones to incorporate it? It took till fall with the LG G2 to have the Snapdragon 800. This 805 will probably not hit consumers until fall again. The Snapdragon 800 is a performance beast on it`s own and it will be one of 2 other devices (LG G2 and Note 3) to have the 800 on Verizon alone! There is no reason to wait anymore unless you are fine where you are at but, if you want a new Windows Phone on Verizon this is it. Probably the best bet seeing how the 928 was the only windows phone released on VZW last year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786