Should we resist the Lumia Icon?

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
All of this anger is manifested from them not releasing a phone around a rumor release date. I would understand and be equally upset if they officially announced the phone and then delayed it for a couple months. But up until the last month noone would even acknowledge its existence. Also, if your on verizon, there won't be another WP8 phone for quite sometime.

I also don't buy the existence of the 1820 or 1520v.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I also don't buy the existence of the 1820 or 1520v.

Naw, the internet tech journalists said there would be an 1820 and a 1520v at MWC. So they will probably come out then. After all, no one on the internet ever lies or makes stuff up. There's only integrity and altruism when it comes to bloggers. Plus, I saw this great picture posted by this site that said "LUMIA" on it. So they're definitely legit.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh I certainly think the 1820 and a 1520v will show up........eventually. I'm certainly not going to wait around to find out when that might be. I'll probably get at least a good six months in on my Icon before they even have a prayer of being released by Verizon.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"Should we resist..." is not the same as asking other people what they're planning on doing. This thread really is silly.

Yeah...I was asking if we should pass by or not and what everyone one doing. If you missed that then I'm sorry.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So you meant... "Should we resist the urge to buy"? Because that's not what the thread title says.

...it means the same thing...what do you think I meant? "Should we resist to cook the Lumia Icon?" "Should we resist to smash the Lumia Icon?" I thought it was pretty clear about buying it.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
...it means the same thing...what do you think I meant? "Should we resist to cook the Lumia Icon?" "Should we resist to smash the Lumia Icon?" I thought it was pretty clear about buying it.

Resist | Define Resist at Dictionary.com

When you don't use clarifying verb there, it actually says to "resist the Icon." It says a lot more than not buying it. It sounds a lot more like a call to resist the phone itself, and in doing so, the company putting it out. Taking it to it's furthest conclusion, it sounds like a militant call to oppose the phone to teach Verizon a lesson.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat.

When was is "supposed" to launch? Seems to me it's really only supposed to launch after Verizon officially announces it......no?

My main concern is the battery life.

I suppose that could be an issue if your a major power user. Seems like most phones end up getting 3rd party batteries and cases to up the juice.....even on uni-body "non-replaceable" devices. I know I've installed batteries in Apple devices in the past.

That is a good point, however, I wonder with the sale to Microsoft if they're going to handle things differently, like releasing the same model (obviously different variants for bands but the same model) across all carriers as I think it would be the smart thing to do.

Microsoft has nothing to do with it. Verizon and only Verizon decides which devises they release and when.

I'm not all that dissatisfied with my current situation and the Icon doesn't particularly wow me. I know what I want for my next phone and I don't know if the Icon is really it, so I have no problem waiting.

So the Icon is "an awesome phone"........but also kind of "meh"?

"Should we resist the Lumia Icon?"

Not if you want the BEST WP experience on Verizon.........for a loooooong time to come.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When was is "supposed" to launch? Seems to me it's really only supposed to launch after Verizon officially announces it......no?

I suppose that could be an issue if your a major power user. Seems like most phones end up getting 3rd party batteries and cases to up the juice.....even on uni-body "non-replaceable" devices. I know I've installed batteries in Apple devices in the past.

Microsoft has nothing to do with it. Verizon and only Verizon decides which devises they release and when.

So the Icon is "an awesome phone"........but also kind of "meh"?

Not if you want the BEST WP experience on Verizon.........for a loooooong time to come.

Rumors were pretty strong that it was supposed to release earlier.

When I was talking about Microsoft I meant I wonder if they would quit it with the carrier exclusivity.

The Note III is an awesome phone bit it still doesn't do it for me. Just because something is awesome doesn't mean that it's the phone for me.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Resist | Define Resist at Dictionary.com

When you don't use clarifying verb there, it actually says to "resist the Icon." It says a lot more than not buying it. It sounds a lot more like a call to resist the phone itself, and in doing so, the company putting it out. Taking it to it's furthest conclusion, it sounds like a militant call to oppose the phone to teach Verizon a lesson.

Honestly, you're really going to sit there and pointlessly pick apart word choices? Anyone with common sense could have figured out what I meant. Besides, "resisting the phone itself"...doesn't that mean not buying it? That's what I meant. Why would it have anything to do with resisting Verizon or Nokia as a whole? I'm talking about one phone.

This argument is very off topic anyway.

farskija

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
I have posted this in other 929 threads, I too was ready to jump on this phone around Thanksgiving/Christmas. Now my thoughts are to stay with BlackBerry and switch from my Z10 t0 the Z30. Not that I have anything against the Icon, I'm just saying that I was ready to make a more impulsive switch to WP back then. Not really sure why. Maybe I will wait until I can get my paws on an Icon, but the Z30 is pretty tempting.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have posted this in other 929 threads, I too was ready to jump on this phone around Thanksgiving/Christmas. Now my thoughts are to stay with BlackBerry and switch from my Z10 t0 the Z30. Not that I have anything against the Icon, I'm just saying that I was ready to make a more impulsive switch to WP back then. Not really sure why. Maybe I will wait until I can get my paws on an Icon, but the Z30 is pretty tempting.

Thank you for not ripping me apart! My plan was to pass on the Z30 and get the Icon. But now since it's been so long, I'm not sure if the Icon will be my next phone. I still don't plan on the Z30, but for my upgrade, I don't want to settle for something that doesn't completely fit my needs. So I was kind of planning on waiting it out for the 8.1 hardware. I've got no problem with waiting.

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for not ripping me apart! My plan was to pass on the Z30 and get the Icon. But now since it's been so long, I'm not sure if the Icon will be my next phone. I still don't plan on the Z30, but for my upgrade, I don't want to settle for something that doesn't completely fit my needs. So I was kind of planning on waiting it out for the 8.1 hardware. I've got no problem with waiting.

If the icon came with 8.1 would you get it?

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I can not have said it better than posters before me. This is the WP to get if you are on Verizon. No ifs, ands, or buts. From November to now February we have been waiting. Now we are ready. That new technology processors you were saying OP, you know how long it took for phones to incorporate it? It took till fall with the LG G2 to have the Snapdragon 800. This 805 will probably not hit consumers until fall again. The Snapdragon 800 is a performance beast on it`s own and it will be one of 2 other devices (LG G2 and Note 3) to have the 800 on Verizon alone! There is no reason to wait anymore unless you are fine where you are at but, if you want a new Windows Phone on Verizon this is it. Probably the best bet seeing how the 928 was the only windows phone released on VZW last year.

As someone who is actively involved with the latest Qualcomm chipsets as part of my job, the 805 is not the huge leap over the 800 that the 800 was over its predecessor. The 805 has a beefed up GPU, a few more supported bands on the optional radio configurations, and a small amount of execution core optimization. That's about it. It did not move to a new process node, in phones it will ship with mostly the same clock frequencies as the 800 (and even in tablets it only supports about 10% higher clock rates), it did not add more execution units or a improved pipeline. Its an incremental update taking advantage of a later generation GPU and some real world information on the CPU performance. Its nice, and if I were putting out a device this fall based on Qualcomm I certainly would ship the 805 rather than the 800. But for end users the gains will be mostly negligible.

Its not enough to make me consider holding off on buying a device. At worst the 800 that is in the Icon will be maybe slightly worse at certain very advanced games at higher resolutions than the phone will support. No big deal, and not enough for me to pretend the 800 is suddenly not itself still a cutting edge chip.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If the icon came with 8.1 would you get it?

Not sure. I'm not entirely sure what they're doing with the migration to software buttons if that would end up making a difference down the road if they end up making and changes like menus or something.

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
If you love the 929, or need something soon, then buy it ... but other Windows phones are on the way:

WPCentral claims, "Windows Phone 8.1, codenamed ‘Blue’, is a forthcoming milestone update to the Microsoft Windows Phone operating system. It is expected to be announced at Microsoft’s Build 2014 conference in April, with new hardware arriving in June."

Windows Phone 8.1 'Blue' | Windows Phone Central

Also, a new Samsung Windows phone has already been submitted to the FCC, with "S4-like features". Which might give you better battery life and a SD slot:

Samsung's SM-W750V "Huron" Window Phone handset hits the FCC, Verizon LTE confirmed

Last edited:

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
"Optional on-screen keys for OEMs to use in new hardware"

"All current Windows Phone 8 devices, including the Lumia 520, are expected to receive the update."

I guess I just don't see what the problem is? I also guess I just don't see why everyone is putting 8.1 on this huge pedestal. As said before, its a .1 update not switching to 9.0

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"Optional on-screen keys for OEMs to use in new hardware"

"All current Windows Phone 8 devices, including the Lumia 520, are expected to receive the update."

I guess I just don't see what the problem is?

I thought that they were doing away with the hardware tactile keys all together?

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I thought that they were doing away with the hardware tactile keys all together?

That was taken from the WPC article. I imagine 8.1 is going to be the transition from hardware tactile keys to on screen keys. But there not just gonna stop supporting all of the phones that are on the market, especially when phones like the 928, 1020, 1520 etc haven't even been out that long.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
With WP being so smooth on low end hardware, the 64 bit argument is kind of pointless. The snapdragon800 is a beast of a processor and will easily have the phone lasting a 2 year contract. Dont worru about what's right around the corner or you'll be waiting just as long and then will be like "should I wait for 8.2 or whatever it's called"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium