Should we resist the Lumia Icon?

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I'll get the icon since im on unlimited data still and buying my phones at full price. ESPECIALLY if the battery life is improved over my 928. I barely get 7 hours out of the 928, and if im listening to music on the device or streaming im getting 3-4 hours at the most

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe there are some people that are actually going to pick a blackberry over the Icon or any other phone for that matter.
Talk about a mistake you'll regret for the next two years...

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'll get the icon since im on unlimited data still and buying my phones at full price. ESPECIALLY if the battery life is improved over my 928. I barely get 7 hours out of the 928, and if im listening to music on the device or streaming im getting 3-4 hours at the most

Well this has a higher resolution screen so it will be interesting to see how the Icon performs in the battery department.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Something is definitely wrong with your battery. Cause I'm getting almost double the battery life you are reporting for each

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Well this has a higher resolution screen so it will be interesting to see how the Icon performs in the battery department.

well it has a higher resolution and a quad core processor which I thought was better on battery management...along with a bigger battery. I know people with phones like the HTC One that are similar in specs and they get all day battery life

Something is definitely wrong with your battery. Cause I'm getting almost double the battery life you are reporting for each
not sure how? If im not using it much or with light usage with LTE off and connected to WiFi it lasts over a day but with medium to heavy usage its dead in 4-5 hours and that's with only 3-4 background tasks enabled.

I'm hoping the quad core and bigger battery can give the icon battery life comparable to the 1520, and HTC one

just a example from a full battery to this
and this is just wit Facebook, twitter, instagram and reddit

gyvuvyqa.png

Last edited:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe there are some people that are actually going to pick a blackberry over the Icon or any other phone for that matter.
Talk about a mistake you'll regret for the next two years...

Hahaha oh man don't let the guys over at CB see that ;). But as far as the Z30 goes, I don't see how anyone could choose THAT over what's out there now. They chose a year old processor, an awful 720p (5") screen, and the same unimproved Z10 camera for their premium priced phone. If it was between the Icon and the Z30 right now, it would be the Icon all day.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I have been off contract since last fall, and I have been following the Icon closely, because in WP there's no other choice with Verizon. I am not worried about having the latest bleeding edge hardware, but I want something that offers the top specs now so it can keep up during the entire 2-year contract.

I was super psyched when Nokia announced the 1520, My wife has a Note 2 and loves it, so I am not afraid of a bigger phone. I was crushed to find out that ATT got an exclusive on it, and switching carriers is not an option for me. We have over 15 phones on the account, heading to 20, and the coverage in our area isn't even close.

So I am not looking to resist a phone I have waited months for. I am looking to be talked into the Icon, but I have some concerns about the battery life and only 32gb storage, considering the lack of an SD card slot. My 2-year old Razr Maxx has Icon covered on both of these specs with a 3300 mAh battery and SD slot in which I have a 32gb Micro SD - so even with 8gb internal I have 40gb total memory now. Also, my Maxx's 3300 mAh battery gets me through all but the busiest days without a recharge, but it is only powering a dual core processor and a AMOLED 540x960 pixel display. I am sure that the Icon will burn more juice to power that pixel-rich full 1080p display, and unless WP is an extremely power-thrifty OS I just don't see making it through the day. I really don't want to take a step backward in functionality just to switch to WP.

The 1520, with its beefier battery and SD card slot would have made the choice a lot easier. So I feel like I am at 80% going to buy this phone. I will definitely be in the store launch day to hold it in my hand, but realistically, no one is going to be able to answer the battery question any more accurately for weeks or months. If I don't pull the trigger now I will probably go with the Note 3, and just kick myself for not moving sooner.

I would own the Note 3 long ago but I really want to get away from Google (which has increasingly made me feel like a product and not a customer) and can't imagine using a tiny iPhone. So WP has a strong chance of gaining me as a customer - and would have already had me if it wasn't for this stupid ATT exclusivity.

I can't believe that whatever promotions ATT offers Nokia actually net them more sales overall than a unified platform would.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
64 bit processors are not going to be able to really be taken advantage of for quite a while, and honestly, the processor in the upcoming Icon is ridiculous overkill for a windows phone.

Just wanted to say something about this. Most commentators have missed the point about the processor in the iPhone 5S. There are lots of reasons why moving to 64 bits won't, in itself, bring significant gains to smart phones at the moment. A more interesting point is that benchmarks suggest the 5S, which has a dual core processor, performs as well as modern quad core processors used in other phones. Why is that? (Assuming that benchmarks are not testing 64 bit features, which I don't believe they are.) It suggests that the new ARM cores used in the 5S are *very* fast for all code. A first, very vague approximation would suggest that they are twice as fast as previous designs, given that a dual core device can match a quad core device.

These new ARM cores could bring significant performance improvements regardless of the 64 bit support. But I still don't necessarily recommend waiting before buying a new phone.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to say something about this. Most commentators have missed the point about the processor in the iPhone 5S. There are lots of reasons why moving to 64 bits won't, in itself, bring significant gains to smart phones at the moment. A more interesting point is that benchmarks suggest the 5S, which has a dual core processor, performs as well as modern quad core processors used in other phones. Why is that? (Assuming that benchmarks are not testing 64 bit features, which I don't believe they are.) It suggests that the new ARM cores used in the 5S are *very* fast for all code. A first, very vague approximation would suggest that they are twice as fast as previous designs, given that a dual core device can match a quad core device.

These new ARM cores could bring significant performance improvements regardless of the 64 bit support. But I still don't necessarily recommend waiting before buying a new phone.

The truth is that under Android applications are rarely threaded well enough to take advantage of additional cores. Most run on one core, and system processes use another. After two cores the real world performance impact of additional cores is minimal. Motorola demonstrated this recently with their releases which performed in real world apps equivalently to quad core phones despite only having a dual core design.

iOS may or may not have a better threading model than Android, I could not say since its never been run on a quad core design. Its certainly a more efficient OS though, and in my opinion WP is even better as far as its kernel and utilizing the hardware goes.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Are you doing a lot of video streaming or gaming. I get one to 2 days on a single charge out of my 928. I last charged my phone yesterday at about 10am and I still have 45% charge as we speak. If I spend time gaming or streaming video then my charge will last till the end of the day, but normal usage gets me almost 2 days.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you doing a lot of video streaming or gaming. I get one to 2 days on a single charge out of my 928. I last charged my phone yesterday at about 10am and I still have 45% charge as we speak. If I spend time gaming or streaming video then my charge will last till the end of the day, but normal usage gets me almost 2 days.
I dont do much video streaming at all. The majority of the time I use my phone im using apps and the web browser I might play a game once every 2 weeks.... Video streaming not much. Majority of my time is apps, music and streaming music.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. But now, I'm just not sure. Would it be wise to wait until the 8.1 hardware (if they quit it with the carrier exclusives and release the good stuff across the board)? I know that the device is obviously upgradable, but with 64 bit processors becoming popular, is it worth it to buy a phone without one?

For me, I guess the main factors come down to the price, how it feels in hand, and the battery life. I'm obviously assuming the performance is fantastic as it's a smaller 1520 and that rides up near the 5s as far as benchmarks go. I'm also assuming the camera is fantastic as usual and it appears that the speakers should be good too. But the battery life looks a little iffy. A device that powerful with that size battery...I would just be worried that I would end up with a phone with battery life like my Z10. And price, who knows? We will see.

So I'm curious how everyone else here feels about the device? Do you still plan on getting it and why or why not? Just your main thoughts in general.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

It is tempting but I need a phone like the ICON except with 64GB or more or expandable storage. I am old school and like my music on my device and not needing to rely on the cloud to stream it (and use up data.)

hoodliedoo

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
New phones have to be released with WP 8.1. If Verizon doesn't have a WP 8.1 device prepped, they are nuts. Either that or wp8.1 will introduce little to no extra hardware features. I can't justify buying the icon a month before the build conference.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't resist given the timeline that Microsoft has given with supporting their devices, but to be on the safe side I wouldn't use my upgrade.

I really wish I could get Verizon MMS settings to work on AT&T cause I would snatch this phone up SWIFTLY

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
New phones have to be released with WP 8.1. If Verizon doesn't have a WP 8.1 device prepped, they are nuts. Either that or wp8.1 will introduce little to no extra hardware features. I can't justify buying the icon a month before the build conference.

I'll remind you of this in 6 months when 8.1 is just rolling out on Verizon phones and we still haven't seen any new 8.1 hardware. Cheers!

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't resist given the timeline that Microsoft has given with supporting their devices, but to be on the safe side I wouldn't use my upgrade.

I really wish I could get Verizon MMS settings to work on AT&T cause I would snatch this phone up SWIFTLY

I would reverse that honestly. Use the upgrade as soon as possible, that starts the clock on your next upgrade immediately. If you are planning to purchase at retail price, why not do it with the later release which will cost about the same, rather than throwing away the months of time that your paying the same for your contract but not enjoying a new phone? You can always sell the Icon to help pay for the new device if one should show up in the next year that is appreciably better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99