Should we resist the Lumia Icon?

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. But now, I'm just not sure. Would it be wise to wait until the 8.1 hardware (if they quit it with the carrier exclusives and release the good stuff across the board)? I know that the device is obviously upgradable, but with 64 bit processors becoming popular, is it worth it to buy a phone without one?

For me, I guess the main factors come down to the price, how it feels in hand, and the battery life. I'm obviously assuming the performance is fantastic as it's a smaller 1520 and that rides up near the 5s as far as benchmarks go. I'm also assuming the camera is fantastic as usual and it appears that the speakers should be good too. But the battery life looks a little iffy. A device that powerful with that size battery...I would just be worried that I would end up with a phone with battery life like my Z10. And price, who knows? We will see.

So I'm curious how everyone else here feels about the device? Do you still plan on getting it and why or why not? Just your main thoughts in general.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

My goal was a WP that wasn't embarrassingly outdated in specs. The 1520 was the first (but too big). I will be getting the Icon. Why wait? By the time Verizon gets their act together on another - this one will be well used. 8.1 will be updated on the Icon eventually.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The truth is that under Android applications are rarely threaded well enough to take advantage of additional cores. Most run on one core, and system processes use another. After two cores the real world performance impact of additional cores is minimal. Motorola demonstrated this recently with their releases which performed in real world apps equivalently to quad core phones despite only having a dual core design.

Evidence please.

iOS may or may not have a better threading model than Android, I could not say since its never been run on a quad core design. Its certainly a more efficient OS though, and in my opinion WP is even better as far as its kernel and utilizing the hardware goes.

So is it Android's threading model that is deficient, or the way applications are typically coded? You seem to claim both.

hoodliedoo

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Evidence please.

So is it Android's threading model that is deficient, or the way applications are typically coded? You seem to claim both.

I think that the mobile platforms are all roughly equivalent. The main difference is that android doesn't seem to require apps to tombstone, so they hang around and suck up memory.

Saying that the threading model has a huge impact on performance is probably short sighted. Actually im not even sure what that would mean. The practice of spinning up threads isnt some newfangled practice that everyone does differently. And creating threads isn't ever the hard part anyway. The hard part is spinning them up at the right time to do the correct amount of work.

Also, there are a million factors that go into performance and no one feature will tell the whole story. Throwing out random computing terms to make sweeping generalizations is fun, but in reality choosing between platforms is like choosing between breakfast cereals. The brand changes but, at the end of the day, we are all really eating some combination of puffed corn and puffed rice.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
That is also my opinion. I doubt there are many fundamental differences between Android, iOS and WP threading models, or differences in how they are used in practice. The post that I originally replied to suggested that there were - I'd be interested if that can be substantiated.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
That is also my opinion. I doubt there are many fundamental differences between Android, iOS and WP threading models, or differences in how they are used in practice. The post that I originally replied to suggested that there were - I'd be interested if that can be substantiated.

I don't know enough about computing terms but I guess I only notice "lag" or whatever the term would be for a slight delay in opening an app or typing something when a bunch of stuff is going on. I want a phone to be quick and snappy and smooth to execute whatever I'm doing. I use my phone and quickly multi-task between programs for work. My experience with the Galaxy line and Droid line is that they have bad lag. My HTC One on the other hand is flawless. I am assuming that I will have an even better experience with WP running on the specs of the Icon and that it will remain so for a longer period of time. This is one of my motivating factors in the purchase of the 929.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So, I know I started the thread being skeptical about whether or not to buy the Lumia Icon. But now, honestly, after reading both WPC's and CNET's reviews, I'm more interested than I though I would be. It was really in CNET'S video where the white caught my eye, and OMG that is one sharp looking phone! Honestly, if the reviews come out saying that the battery really will last, there's a good chance that it will be my next phone.

Christopher Senn

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I have verizon. And chances are we wont see a better Lumia for a bit. But im willing to take my family plan to Tmobile.
The 1820 looks like everything the 929 should of been

Im waiting till Feb 25 for that mobile phone conference.

Also waiting on some actual user feedback and battery stats. Lisa from mobiletech does great reviews.

Wouldnt surprise me if future WP built around 8.1 havemore hardware and features. Like always listening.

Last edited:

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have verizon. And chances are we wont see a better Lumia for a bit. But im willing to take my family plan to Tmobile.
The 1820 looks like everything the 929 should of been

Im waiting till Feb 25 for that mobile phone conference.

Also waiting on some actual user feedback and battery stats. Lisa from mobiletech does great reviews.

I definitely wouldn't do anything until MWC either. And the battery reviews are most important to me.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I really think you should wait for 8.1 devices, as they will have upgraded chips and hardware suited best for the 8.1 OS. And if you have a working WP8 device, wait. WP7, you should get it, but if you really have a lot of patience, wait a tad longer.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Lordy lord, the next chip set is going to be 805 and you wont see that till late 2014. There will be no other phone announcements from Microsoft or Nokia at MWC other than Nokia's Normandy. Microsoft will show off 8.1 but no hardware. Get the Icon for sure if you are on Verizon, you wont see another Lumia flagship until Q3.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Lordy lord, the next chip set is going to be 805 and you wont see that till late 2014. There will be no other phone announcements from Microsoft or Nokia at MWC other than Nokia's Normandy. Microsoft will show off 8.1 but no hardware. Get the Icon for sure if you are on Verizon, you wont see another Lumia flagship until Q3.

I really think the 805 will come before late 2014, as probably all the new Android handsets, like the GS5, will get the S805...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I really think the 805 will come before late 2014, as probably all the new Android handsets, like the GS5, will get the S805...

im just going off the statement Qualcomm made. I hope you're right, but either way, that wont give anything to Verizon.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
im just going off the statement Qualcomm made. I hope you're right, but either way, that wont give anything to Verizon.

I do hope they change their mind, as an S5 and HTC M8 or whatever with an 800 would make some Android users feel that those phones are "underpowered".

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Not to mention that when 8.1 does roll out, this phone (and every other 8.0 phone) will get updated.

Please remember this is a promise that may or may not be fulfilled. I'm hanging on to my 920 until 8.1 is preloaded on my next device or i see how the 8.1 rollout actually unfolds. MS has a habit of changing their minds as do carriers so until it happens make no decisions based on promises.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Please remember this is a promise that may or may not be fulfilled. I'm hanging on to my 920 until 8.1 is preloaded on my next device or i see how the 8.1 rollout actually unfolds. MS has a habit of changing their minds as do carriers so until it happens make no decisions based on promises.

I can't tell you how many times Microsoft has said that all wp8 devices will get 8.1. Stop being ridiculous...

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Maybe. But it's not the deciding factor for me anyway. It's not like 8.1 is the second coming. It's a .1 update, not Windows 9.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb