Should we resist the Lumia Icon?

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia Icon is still an awesome phone. But honestly, if it was released way back when it was "supposed" to, I would have gotten it in a heartbeat. But now, I'm just not sure. Would it be wise to wait until the 8.1 hardware (if they quit it with the carrier exclusives and release the good stuff across the board)? I know that the device is obviously upgradable, but with 64 bit processors becoming popular, is it worth it to buy a phone without one?

For me, I guess the main factors come down to the price, how it feels in hand, and the battery life. I'm obviously assuming the performance is fantastic as it's a smaller 1520 and that rides up near the 5s as far as benchmarks go. I'm also assuming the camera is fantastic as usual and it appears that the speakers should be good too. But the battery life looks a little iffy. A device that powerful with that size battery...I would just be worried that I would end up with a phone with battery life like my Z10. And price, who knows? We will see.

So I'm curious how everyone else here feels about the device? Do you still plan on getting it and why or why not? Just your main thoughts in general.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on my BlackBerry

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I've never understood the argument for waiting on the next best phone. If what is available now is smooth and fast and suits your needs, then what is the point in waiting? Smooth and fast today will be the same as smooth and fast tomorrow. 64 bit processors are not going to be able to really be taken advantage of for quite a while, and honestly, the processor in the upcoming Icon is ridiculous overkill for a windows phone.

With all that being said, I'm an impulse buyer and the wait has turned me from "needing" this phone, to starting to look at other options. It's going to be hard to sway me away from my Note 3 :)

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've never understood the argument for waiting on the next best phone. If what is available now is smooth and fast and suits your needs, then what is the point in waiting? Smooth and fast today will be the same as smooth and fast tomorrow. 64 bit processors are not going to be able to really be taken advantage of for quite a while, and honestly, the processor in the upcoming Icon is ridiculous overkill for a windows phone.

With all that being said, I'm an impulse buyer and the wait has turned me from "needing" this phone, to starting to look at other options. It's going to be hard to sway me away from my Note 3 :)

My main concern is the battery life. If the price is right (which I'm assuming it will be) and I like the feel of the phone and all that, then it comes down to the battery. I just don't know if that will do it for me. If it was a monster battery life the 1520, I'd snatch it up knowing I could EASILY go a day. But I'm tired of always needing to be near an outlet and I'm hoping/wondering if newer 8.1 phones would address that issue.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Personally, if you want a Lumia, I wouldn't assume Nokia had something better in the pipeline than the 1520 & Icon before it went to MS.

I'd like to think Lumia's will keep rolling, like business as usual, but who knows.

If you really like it, go for it.

sd173

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
It's definitely worth waiting for Windows Phone 8.1. With the rumored 1820 coming soon (not really soon, but in a few months, most likely April), I don't see any reason to go with another phone, unless you like to get new phones off-contract.

P.S.: The 1820 is supposed to be the best phone ever made - a fusion of the 1020 & 1520 with a supposedly better camera than the 1020, around a 5.6" screen size, and the awesome things in Windows Phone 8.1!!! (Source posts in WPC forum threads)

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the hardware for 8.1 phones will be much different than the hardware for current windows phones...I doubt the 805 processor is going to be that much better with battery life than the current 800, but I could be wrong. And a 2400-2500mah battery is nothing to sneeze at...should have pretty strong battery life...at least that's what I'm expecting.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If you're on Verizon, then I'd get the Icon. I'm making the (valid) assumption that whatever hardware is announced with 8.1 will be an AT&T exclusive.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I doubt the hardware for 8.1 phones will be much different than the hardware for current windows phones...I doubt the 805 processor is going to be that much better with battery life than the current 800, but I could be wrong. And a 2400-2500mah battery is nothing to sneeze at...should have pretty strong battery life...at least that's what I'm expecting.

The 805 modem is twice as fast as the one on the 800 all while greatly improving battery life on LTE. The 805 also has better thermals.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll take the 5" Icon, with its battery, and Qi charging. There's nothing in WP8.1 the Icon, or for that matter my 928, can't handle. Other than camera specs or display densities, there won't be anything radically different in WP hardware....the constraint, and I mean this in the best possible way, is the OS.

I don't think the faster modem will make much of a difference for the vast majority of Verizon's network....except maybe where they've turned on AWS? I don't really know on that point.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If you're on Verizon, then I'd get the Icon. I'm making the (valid) assumption that whatever hardware is announced with 8.1 will be an AT&T exclusive.

Agreed. I want this phone and who knows when Verizon will get their first 8.1 device anyway. By then, for me, it will be close to upgrade time.

Last edited:

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
The title is kind of silly. Why would we all resist a phone that we've all been anticipating for months now?

Unless you've heard news of another Verizon WP on the horizon with better specs/similar size to the Icon (or no longer want these things), there's no reason to resist.

I'm definitely getting this phone once it releases.

Last edited:

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
The title is kind of silly. Why would we all resist a phone that we've all been anticipating for months now?

Unless you've heard news of another Verizon WP on the horizon with better specs/similar size to, the Icon (or no longer want these things), there's no reason to resist.

I'm definitely getting this phone once it releases.

This is the perfect answer. Most of us have checked these forums regularly to get any type of info. And we all know (should know) that the Icon is going to be the only WP device Verizon gets for a while. So unless you are open to using other platforms, the Icon is the phone to get.

I, for one, am still as excited to get this phone as I was when I first heard about it. No resistance here.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
MWC and Build are on the horizon buying the Icon now isn't the smartest choice.

As someone who has been a WP fan & a Verizon customer since the beginning - needing a new phone and passing on the Nokia Lumia Icon is probably the dumbest thing you can do. Don't bank on Verizon getting another high end Lumia before the Holidays. It's foolishness.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As someone who has been a WP fan & a Verizon customer since the beginning - needing a new phone and passing on the Nokia Lumia Icon is probably the dumbest thing you can do. Don't bank on Verizon getting another high end Lumia before the Holidays. It's foolishness.

Hey, if the battery turns out Ok, we'll see

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte