02-19-2014 12:14 PM
82 1234
tools
    I'll agree with that because the pic is cut off a little bit. But what really doesn't add up is the edges. Look at any leaked picture of the Icon from the side. The edges are flat like the 928. The picture above is beveled towards the back, like the Surface.

Unannounced Nokia Lumia 929 up for sale in China for 3800 | ThePocketTech

I'm inserting a hyperlink to an article (with pictures) I found on Bing because my employer won't allow us to attach pics. Anyway, look at the pics from the side.
    That's why the phone was delayed. So they could redesign it with a bevel...
    02-11-2014 04:35 PM
    I love the design, its very industrial and no frills.
    02-11-2014 04:45 PM
    That's why the phone was delayed. So they could redesign it with a bevel...
    Haha, if that was true, I think it'd be totally worth it
    berty6294 likes this.
    02-11-2014 05:10 PM
    I actually have liked all the WP designs on Big Red. They are not "eye catching", so I understand why some WP fans would be a little bored.

But really, 9 out of 10 Verizon phones are simple deisigned, black devices that Verizon thinks will have mass appeal, or at least acceptance. They are not into edgy designs, bold;/bright colors, or gimmicks.

Quick- name the orange, blue, or other bright colored Verizon phone. Or split screen tablet. Or 3D phone.

The Icon fits their stragety, and seeing as they still have the largest base of customers in the land, I see no way they change until the market forces them to.
    02-11-2014 05:24 PM
    I think the design is kinda hot. I'd love to see an AT&T variant with a similar build someday.
    snowmutt likes this.
    02-11-2014 06:18 PM
    I think the design SHOULD be good. I believe the 928 needs a refresh and most of the newer models Nokia has put out have a much more premium feel that the plastic, glossy feel of the 928. 1520, 1020, 925 all seem to be well made. I assume the Icon will as well.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    02-11-2014 06:54 PM
    First off, thank you for not taking it personal and engaging in a civil discussion. It is appreciated. To address your points:

I'm not offended - I agree with some of what you're saying. But the thing is, there are designs, appearances, and aesthetics, that, by in large, appeal to one gender more than another. For example, facial hair is distinctly more masculine than feminine. Biologically & preferentially - Having a beard is more masculine than, well... not having a beard. That's not to say that you're feminine if you don't have a beard! I believe the same is true for consumer technology.
    I really cannot consider a matter of basic biology comparable to aesthetic choices. Seems apples and oranges to me, honestly. A human cannot choose their capability to grow hair (short of hormone therapy) but they certainly can decide what is appealing to them aesthetically.

I think we're better served looking at mobile device operating systems as opposed to hardware design to prove my point. I find the very design of iOS 7 to be teenage girlish - and I believe that's what the language designers of iOS were going for. I distinctly do not want bubbles floating around on my screen while I'm drafting at text message. The design language of WP8, while colorful, is clean cut and sleek. There aren't a lot of frills of flashy animations laced through out it's functions. It doesn't leave room for Tinkerbell to float across the screen sprinkling her magical fairy dust on my contact list.
    Meanwhile my brother, ex-Army and about as right wing as they come, runs an iPhone. He likes how it looks, he likes how the OS looks, he thinks it is simple to operate and powerful to use. He likes the size, it fits in his pocket. He thinks the devices are attractive in general, and even though he is a guy that is important to him. One person's frivolous fluff is another person's attractive design. And it really has little to do with gender. I would bet you that there are more iPhones in the hands of businessmen than there are teenage girls, after all it is a highly functional, low maintenance, easy to use and powerful device. That level of 'design' wins with any demographic and has few implications for gender. Guys do not like poorly designed devices any more than women do. I would also add that gender cannot be inherently a factor in design since it is much more correlated to the society one exists in than ones biological gender. When I went to China recently, iPhones were used by almost everyone, male or female. Asking a Chinese friend of mine recently if the iPhone appeals to girls he asked "why?" Furthermore, implying that a design is 'girly' implies that 'girly' is a put down, which is in and of itself inappropriate.

I get that there's a general liberal shift in debate of the role of sex vs the role of gender. And my use of the word gender in the above contention might be even too much for some people. But it's my opinion, and I see it play out in living color in the people I interact with every day, just as you see yours play out with your co-workers.
    This really has nothing to do with liberal or conservative shifts. This is humans demanding respect and equal treatment. Mocking a man because he dares to put form over function is ridiculous. So is putting down a woman who values functionality over design. And in some devices, such as the iPhone, neither compromise has to be made, which is why it has mass market and global appeal.

Note: I am not accusing you of mocking anyone, you have been respectful in your position even though we disagree.

I'll close this these words from Daniel Rubino.

Attachment 56766
    This only serves to disappoint me, honestly.

Edit: one final note: The UI of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, Metro, was designed by a woman, Julie Larson-Green. iOS was designed by Jonny Ives at Apple.
    02-11-2014 09:55 PM
    I have the 928, it's glossy but not cheap feeling. I'm a bit bothered when people say the 928, and now, the 929 is "ugly." It's like boxy today = ugly. Sure, I guess it doesn't have a snappy design and it's not as attention-grabbing, but I think it's a nice, clean, toned-down design.
    02-11-2014 10:02 PM
    Yah, you know what else is boxy?!?!?!?!!!!

...Windows Phone.
    anon6002755 likes this.
    02-11-2014 11:51 PM
    I have the 928, it's glossy but not cheap feeling. I'm a bit bothered when people say the 928, and now, the 929 is "ugly." It's like boxy today = ugly. Sure, I guess it doesn't have a snappy design and it's not as attention-grabbing, but I think it's a nice, clean, toned-down design.
    The 928 seems of lower quality to the 1020, 925 and 1520. Glossy plastic = cheap. It's the only knock against the otherwise wildly successful Galaxy line. Then again, millions of people don't care. Boxy, however, is not an issue. There are plenty of phones that are moving to "boxy" as a modern, updated, approach. For example, the GS4, GS5, Sony. I think the 929 will be great if it employs the same "in hand feel" and astetics as the 1520 with the general shape of the 928.

02-12-2014 12:39 AM
    First off, thank you for not taking it personal and engaging in a civil discussion. It is appreciated. To address your points:

I really cannot consider a matter of basic biology comparable to aesthetic choices. Seems apples and oranges to me, honestly. A human cannot choose their capability to grow hair (short of hormone therapy) but they certainly can decide what is appealing to them aesthetically.

Meanwhile my brother, ex-Army and about as right wing as they come, runs an iPhone. He likes how it looks, he likes how the OS looks, he thinks it is simple to operate and powerful to use. He likes the size, it fits in his pocket. He thinks the devices are attractive in general, and even though he is a guy that is important to him. One person's frivolous fluff is another person's attractive design. And it really has little to do with gender. I would bet you that there are more iPhones in the hands of businessmen than there are teenage girls, after all it is a highly functional, low maintenance, easy to use and powerful device. That level of 'design' wins with any demographic and has few implications for gender. Guys do not like poorly designed devices any more than women do. I would also add that gender cannot be inherently a factor in design since it is much more correlated to the society one exists in than ones biological gender. When I went to China recently, iPhones were used by almost everyone, male or female. Asking a Chinese friend of mine recently if the iPhone appeals to girls he asked "why?" Furthermore, implying that a design is 'girly' implies that 'girly' is a put down, which is in and of itself inappropriate.

This really has nothing to do with liberal or conservative shifts. This is humans demanding respect and equal treatment. Mocking a man because he dares to put form over function is ridiculous. So is putting down a woman who values functionality over design. And in some devices, such as the iPhone, neither compromise has to be made, which is why it has mass market and global appeal.

Note: I am not accusing you of mocking anyone, you have been respectful in your position even though we disagree.

This only serves to disappoint me, honestly.

Edit: one final note: The UI of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, Metro, was designed by a woman, Julie Larson-Green. iOS was designed by Jonny Ives at Apple.
    That is the longest post on an absurdly trivial observation... EVER. No disrespect, but pretty pastels, bright colors, and "cute" little phones appeal to women (aka girls). That's a fact. Lots of your points are valid. But... Really?

02-12-2014 12:44 AM
    Please do not take this offensively, as I generally enjoy your posts. But there is no such thing as girly design.
    veqf5w.jpg not girly...

f-06.jpg definitely not girly...

tumblr_m1cgl8xnwx1qauxpj.jpg very manly

51clnhomfql._sy300_.jpg now that's a man's phone...
    02-12-2014 02:31 AM
    I actually have liked all the WP designs on Big Red. They are not "eye catching", so I understand why some WP fans would be a little bored.

But really, 9 out of 10 Verizon phones are simple deisigned, black devices that Verizon thinks will have mass appeal, or at least acceptance. They are not into edgy designs, bold;/bright colors, or gimmicks.
    people like plain. Car companies come out with beautiful paint colors for cars. And yet 80% of sales go for black, white, and silver. These colors have better resale value as well as they're more likely to find a buyer.
    02-12-2014 02:34 AM
    That is the longest post on an absurdly trivial observation... EVER. No disrespect, but pretty pastels, bright colors, and "cute" little phones appeal to women (aka girls). That's a fact. Lots of your points are valid. But... Really?

He says in a two-page thread related to whether or not we like the as-yet-mostly-unknown shape of an unreleased phone in a months-old forum devoted largely to anger over a company having yet to release a phone they've never announced....
    Indistinguishable likes this.
    02-12-2014 07:10 AM
    Yah, you know what else is boxy?!?!?!?!!!!

...Windows Phone.
    This is very true. The metro design is pretty box or "tile" oriented. As much as I love my NL822, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a bunch of boxes inside of a oval-like shape. It doesn't seem to do justice to the Scandinavian design. It makes far more sense to stack boxes inside of boxes.
    Kieta likes this.
    02-12-2014 07:25 AM
    The lumia 929 design has a very bland boring design. Like no time was put into it.
    I like that they offer it in white. But one absolutely horrible feature is that the back panel is only white while the face of it is black. There is no real effort to please the customer. Want a brand new car design? Slap a bumper sticker on it.

Anyways my two favorite phones are the HTC One and I like the Lumia 925. At least the color back covers bits of the front as well
    02-12-2014 10:04 AM
    I'm sorry but to call this design boring is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Its got a metal "appears to be beveled" edge with a curved back and thin bezel. Much more time put into designing this device than others. Throwing a flamboyant color on something is not hard work.
    02-12-2014 10:29 AM
    I'm sorry but to call this design boring is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Its got a metal "appears to be beveled" edge with a curved back and thin bezel. Much more time put into designing this device than others. Throwing a flamboyant color on something is not hard work.
    apparently throwing on a flamboyant color (white) is hard work for them as it only covers the back side and no effort was put into them matching the rest of the phone. Kind of like a ****** going out to a club in a wifebeater.

But at least it looks like a phone in the lumia line. So its lack of trying is what makes it unique
    02-12-2014 10:40 AM
    apparently throwing on a flamboyant color (white) is hard work for them as it only covers the back side and no effort was put into them matching the rest of the phone.
    Uh that's called style...
    02-12-2014 10:44 AM
    apparently throwing on a flamboyant color (white) is hard work for them as it only covers the back side and no effort was put into them matching the rest of the phone. Kind of like a ****** going out to a club in a wifebeater.

But at least it looks like a phone in the lumia line. So its lack of trying is what makes it unique
    Uh that's called style...
    What forum have I stumbled into where two posters with seemingly naked men in their avatar's are arguing about flamboyant style?
    02-12-2014 10:53 AM
    Trolling is fun!

02-12-2014 11:09 AM
    You're holding it wrong...

Lol yeah I did notice that and that confused me a bit. Ive seen some pictures that make it look completely square, some that make it appear slanted slightly, and then this one that makes it look slanted ALOT! Everything else in the picture checks out though on all of these but idk lol
    Look at those "flat" sides.

Nokia Lumia Icon - The Ultimate Video Experience - Nokia - USA
    02-12-2014 12:11 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	veqf5w.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	56807 not girly...

Name:	f-06.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	56808 definitely not girly...

Name:	tumblr_m1cgl8XnWX1qauxpj.jpg 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	56809 very manly

Name:	51CLnhoMFqL._SY300_.jpg 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	56810 now that's a man's phone...

Again, the fact that such devices exist does not in any way mean that they are widely popular with the stated target demographic. Women represent more than half of the potential customer base for any given phone, and yet none of these 'girly' phone designs have ever made a mass market impact. That says a lot about the supposed appeal to the female demographic that these designs actually have.

And again, for reference, this is the problem: Flowchart: How not to design a "woman’s" tech product | Ars Technica
    02-12-2014 02:07 PM
    From the pictures and video reviews the phone looks awesome to me. once in hand i'll pass my final judgement on it.
    Astropin likes this.
    02-12-2014 02:14 PM
    Okay.... black or white?
    02-12-2014 10:34 PM
82 1234