Verizon's "boxy shape" design for the 929.. like it or hate it?

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll agree with that because the pic is cut off a little bit. But what really doesn't add up is the edges. Look at any leaked picture of the Icon from the side. The edges are flat like the 928. The picture above is beveled towards the back, like the Surface.

Unannounced Nokia Lumia 929 up for sale in China for ?3800 | ThePocketTech

I'm inserting a hyperlink to an article (with pictures) I found on Bing because my employer won't allow us to attach pics. Anyway, look at the pics from the side.

I think it's just the angle, guys. Not sure we can say with certainty how slanted it really is until we have it in our hands.

Please do not take this offensively, as I generally enjoy your posts. But there is no such thing as girly design. There is good design, and bad design, and niche design, but designs are not inherently 'masculine' or 'girly' despite what many people think. Half the guys on my team at work carry iPhones despite the supposedly 'girly' design of them, and only one of the women on my team carries one, the others run Samsung/Android devices with the exception of one woman who has the same 8X as I do.

Do a lot of girls like iPhones? Sure. A lot of guys do too. But we are or at least should be past the point of claiming that a design, color or motif is tied to a gender or sexual orientation. That is simply stereotyping and lazy thinking.

Again, I am sort of calling you out but its not so much you specifically but the commonality of these beliefs. A good primer on this topic can be found here: Flowchart: How not to design a "woman?€™s" tech product | Ars Technica

I'm not offended - I agree with some of what you're saying. But the thing is, there are designs, appearances, and aesthetics, that, by in large, appeal to one gender more than another. For example, facial hair is distinctly more masculine than feminine. Biologically & preferentially - Having a beard is more masculine than, well... not having a beard. That's not to say that you're feminine if you don't have a beard! I believe the same is true for consumer technology. I think we're better served looking at mobile device operating systems as opposed to hardware design to prove my point. I find the very design of iOS 7 to be teenage girlish - and I believe that's what the language designers of iOS were going for. I distinctly do not want bubbles floating around on my screen while I'm drafting at text message. The design language of WP8, while colorful, is clean cut and sleek. There aren't a lot of frills of flashy animations laced through out it's functions. It doesn't leave room for Tinkerbell to float across the screen sprinkling her magical fairy dust on my contact list.

I get that there's a general liberal shift in debate of the role of sex vs the role of gender. And my use of the word gender in the above contention might be even too much for some people. But it's my opinion, and I see it play out in living color in the people I interact with every day, just as you see yours play out with your co-workers.

I'll close this these words from Daniel Rubino.

iphone.png

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
I was going to pick one up until I saw how they mucked it up like their 928 and 820 variant. The 1520 is just a bit big but there's no chance I'm getting this hideous thing.

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Okay gentlemen. This is on hold until we each have an Icon in our hands. :wink:

Honestly, I'd RATHER it have that beveled edge. I just don't think that's a pic of the Icon that's been leaked lately.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay gentlemen. This is on hold until we each have an Icon in our hands. :wink:

Honestly, I'd RATHER it have that beveled edge. I just don't think that's a pic of the Icon that's been leaked lately.

Well they all come from Revealed – The Nokia Lumia 929, Verizon’s 5 inch 1080P Windows Phone | Windows Phone Central

Which is obviously a trustworthy source. So I'm guessing it's all the same device - just weird camera angles. But yes, on hold until a better day. :grin:

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I could really care less. It looks........fine. Beveled would look cooler but if its not I really won't think twice about it.

I'm WAY more concerned about functionality.

savagelizards

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
I'll agree with that because the pic is cut off a little bit. But what really doesn't add up is the edges. Look at any leaked picture of the Icon from the side. The edges are flat like the 928. The picture above is beveled towards the back, like the Surface.

Unannounced Nokia Lumia 929 up for sale in China for ?3800 | ThePocketTech

I'm inserting a hyperlink to an article (with pictures) I found on Bing because my employer won't allow us to attach pics. Anyway, look at the pics from the side.

That's why the phone was delayed. So they could redesign it with a bevel...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I actually have liked all the WP designs on Big Red. They are not "eye catching", so I understand why some WP fans would be a little bored.

But really, 9 out of 10 Verizon phones are simple deisigned, black devices that Verizon thinks will have mass appeal, or at least acceptance. They are not into edgy designs, bold;/bright colors, or gimmicks.

Quick- name the orange, blue, or other bright colored Verizon phone. Or split screen tablet. Or 3D phone.

The Icon fits their stragety, and seeing as they still have the largest base of customers in the land, I see no way they change until the market forces them to.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I think the design SHOULD be good. I believe the 928 needs a refresh and most of the newer models Nokia has put out have a much more premium feel that the plastic, glossy feel of the 928. 1520, 1020, 925 all seem to be well made. I assume the Icon will as well.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
First off, thank you for not taking it personal and engaging in a civil discussion. It is appreciated. To address your points:

I'm not offended - I agree with some of what you're saying. But the thing is, there are designs, appearances, and aesthetics, that, by in large, appeal to one gender more than another. For example, facial hair is distinctly more masculine than feminine. Biologically & preferentially - Having a beard is more masculine than, well... not having a beard. That's not to say that you're feminine if you don't have a beard! I believe the same is true for consumer technology.
I really cannot consider a matter of basic biology comparable to aesthetic choices. Seems apples and oranges to me, honestly. A human cannot choose their capability to grow hair (short of hormone therapy) but they certainly can decide what is appealing to them aesthetically.

I think we're better served looking at mobile device operating systems as opposed to hardware design to prove my point. I find the very design of iOS 7 to be teenage girlish - and I believe that's what the language designers of iOS were going for. I distinctly do not want bubbles floating around on my screen while I'm drafting at text message. The design language of WP8, while colorful, is clean cut and sleek. There aren't a lot of frills of flashy animations laced through out it's functions. It doesn't leave room for Tinkerbell to float across the screen sprinkling her magical fairy dust on my contact list.
Meanwhile my brother, ex-Army and about as right wing as they come, runs an iPhone. He likes how it looks, he likes how the OS looks, he thinks it is simple to operate and powerful to use. He likes the size, it fits in his pocket. He thinks the devices are attractive in general, and even though he is a guy that is important to him. One person's frivolous fluff is another person's attractive design. And it really has little to do with gender. I would bet you that there are more iPhones in the hands of businessmen than there are teenage girls, after all it is a highly functional, low maintenance, easy to use and powerful device. That level of 'design' wins with any demographic and has few implications for gender. Guys do not like poorly designed devices any more than women do. I would also add that gender cannot be inherently a factor in design since it is much more correlated to the society one exists in than ones biological gender. When I went to China recently, iPhones were used by almost everyone, male or female. Asking a Chinese friend of mine recently if the iPhone appeals to girls he asked "why?" Furthermore, implying that a design is 'girly' implies that 'girly' is a put down, which is in and of itself inappropriate.

I get that there's a general liberal shift in debate of the role of sex vs the role of gender. And my use of the word gender in the above contention might be even too much for some people. But it's my opinion, and I see it play out in living color in the people I interact with every day, just as you see yours play out with your co-workers.
This really has nothing to do with liberal or conservative shifts. This is humans demanding respect and equal treatment. Mocking a man because he dares to put form over function is ridiculous. So is putting down a woman who values functionality over design. And in some devices, such as the iPhone, neither compromise has to be made, which is why it has mass market and global appeal.

Note: I am not accusing you of mocking anyone, you have been respectful in your position even though we disagree.

I'll close this these words from Daniel Rubino.

View attachment 56766
This only serves to disappoint me, honestly.

Edit: one final note: The UI of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, Metro, was designed by a woman, Julie Larson-Green. iOS was designed by Jonny Ives at Apple.

baaahthesheep

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have the 928, it's glossy but not cheap feeling. I'm a bit bothered when people say the 928, and now, the 929 is "ugly." It's like boxy today = ugly. Sure, I guess it doesn't have a snappy design and it's not as attention-grabbing, but I think it's a nice, clean, toned-down design.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the 928, it's glossy but not cheap feeling. I'm a bit bothered when people say the 928, and now, the 929 is "ugly." It's like boxy today = ugly. Sure, I guess it doesn't have a snappy design and it's not as attention-grabbing, but I think it's a nice, clean, toned-down design.

The 928 seems of lower quality to the 1020, 925 and 1520. Glossy plastic = cheap. It's the only knock against the otherwise wildly successful Galaxy line. Then again, millions of people don't care. Boxy, however, is not an issue. There are plenty of phones that are moving to "boxy" as a modern, updated, approach. For example, the GS4, GS5, Sony. I think the 929 will be great if it employs the same "in hand feel" and astetics as the 1520 with the general shape of the 928.

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
First off, thank you for not taking it personal and engaging in a civil discussion. It is appreciated. To address your points:

I really cannot consider a matter of basic biology comparable to aesthetic choices. Seems apples and oranges to me, honestly. A human cannot choose their capability to grow hair (short of hormone therapy) but they certainly can decide what is appealing to them aesthetically.

Meanwhile my brother, ex-Army and about as right wing as they come, runs an iPhone. He likes how it looks, he likes how the OS looks, he thinks it is simple to operate and powerful to use. He likes the size, it fits in his pocket. He thinks the devices are attractive in general, and even though he is a guy that is important to him. One person's frivolous fluff is another person's attractive design. And it really has little to do with gender. I would bet you that there are more iPhones in the hands of businessmen than there are teenage girls, after all it is a highly functional, low maintenance, easy to use and powerful device. That level of 'design' wins with any demographic and has few implications for gender. Guys do not like poorly designed devices any more than women do. I would also add that gender cannot be inherently a factor in design since it is much more correlated to the society one exists in than ones biological gender. When I went to China recently, iPhones were used by almost everyone, male or female. Asking a Chinese friend of mine recently if the iPhone appeals to girls he asked "why?" Furthermore, implying that a design is 'girly' implies that 'girly' is a put down, which is in and of itself inappropriate.

This really has nothing to do with liberal or conservative shifts. This is humans demanding respect and equal treatment. Mocking a man because he dares to put form over function is ridiculous. So is putting down a woman who values functionality over design. And in some devices, such as the iPhone, neither compromise has to be made, which is why it has mass market and global appeal.

Note: I am not accusing you of mocking anyone, you have been respectful in your position even though we disagree.

This only serves to disappoint me, honestly.

Edit: one final note: The UI of Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8, Metro, was designed by a woman, Julie Larson-Green. iOS was designed by Jonny Ives at Apple.

That is the longest post on an absurdly trivial observation... EVER. No disrespect, but pretty pastels, bright colors, and "cute" little phones appeal to women (aka girls). That's a fact. Lots of your points are valid. But... Really?

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I actually have liked all the WP designs on Big Red. They are not "eye catching", so I understand why some WP fans would be a little bored.

But really, 9 out of 10 Verizon phones are simple deisigned, black devices that Verizon thinks will have mass appeal, or at least acceptance. They are not into edgy designs, bold;/bright colors, or gimmicks.

people like plain. Car companies come out with beautiful paint colors for cars. And yet 80% of sales go for black, white, and silver. These colors have better resale value as well as they're more likely to find a buyer.

afcor

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
That is the longest post on an absurdly trivial observation... EVER. No disrespect, but pretty pastels, bright colors, and "cute" little phones appeal to women (aka girls). That's a fact. Lots of your points are valid. But... Really?

He says in a two-page thread related to whether or not we like the as-yet-mostly-unknown shape of an unreleased phone in a months-old forum devoted largely to anger over a company having yet to release a phone they've never announced....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yah, you know what else is boxy?!?!?!?!!!!

...Windows Phone.

This is very true. The metro design is pretty box or "tile" oriented. As much as I love my NL822, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have a bunch of boxes inside of a oval-like shape. It doesn't seem to do justice to the Scandinavian design. It makes far more sense to stack boxes inside of boxes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb