06-14-2014 03:06 PM
289 ... 45678 ...
tools
    The LapTopMag review states this: "The device also sports an improved Glance feature. The enhanced function displays notifications on the lockscreen for missed calls, texts, emails and alarms in addition to the large digital clock at the bottom of the display ."
    Wish they would've added an image showing that the glance feature works on the Icon.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-13-2014 05:56 PM
    Wish they would've added an image showing that the glance feature works on the Icon.

Posted via the WPC App

Makes me wonder if that reviewer really knows what Glance is, considering he/she mentions the "lock screen". The lock screen and Glance are separate things.
    02-13-2014 05:59 PM
    Makes me wonder if that reviewer really knows what Glance is, considering he/she mentions the "lock screen". The lock screen and Glance are separate things.
    I wonder too. I'll believe WP Central's review before I do the other one.

Posted via the WPC App
    02-13-2014 06:10 PM
    Deal breaker for me as well. Don't understand at all. Was going to buy off contract as soon as it was available but now i will wait.
    02-13-2014 08:49 PM
    Wow. I was all set to talk to my business rep and tell her to order me the Icon next week. But then today, I see that it doesn't have Glance and I think I'll wait. Now that Black came out for the 928, the extra notifications on the glance screen are just awesome. In my opinion, the best feature of Black. I mean, is there any other OS out there that has a feature like the glance screen where you can see your notifications without turning it on? We have been asking for a notification "light" but this is so much better.

once you go black update...
    02-13-2014 10:14 PM
    maybe, just maybe, the notification center for 8,1 will make Glance obsolete so why code Glance for the Icon if it's going to be replaced in the very near future?
    02-13-2014 11:45 PM
    ... Who cares? I mean, sure it can be a deal breaker for you, but if you're a windows fan and with verizon then you're going to be with the 928 for a while over something that isn't a huge downgrade to the phone. I could see if this phone didn't have a 1080p display or something like that to be a bad dealbreaker, but glance support isn't something that's a major hardware issue? I just dont get it, I dont get it at all. These phones do so much, they are so powerful, and people are upset that it doesn't have glance? Are we so lazy that we can't hit the power button and look at lock screen or open an app? Maybe just maybe..

And for those coming from AT&T, I get the vibe that a lot of you are jealous that we get this phone over here and you're trying to find an issue to make a big deal over it. Dont be jealous, because you have some amazing phones that have glance and are powerful. The 1020 is my dream windows phone. But i'll be getting the icon and something as silly as no glance support wont stop or deter me.
    02-14-2014 01:23 AM
    Im sure it will come later anyway.
    02-14-2014 01:58 AM
    Are we so lazy that we can't hit the power button and look at lock screen or open an app? Maybe just maybe..
    Some person invented a notification-Light a century ago. Thats because phones are for communication and its essential to get notified about a missed call or sms or whatever !
    I already missed countless calls and whatsapp messages from pretty girls because my 620 not even got glance 2.0 yet.
    Jeffrey Fox likes this.
    02-14-2014 03:13 AM
    Some person invented a notification-Light a century ago. Thats because phones are for communication and its essential to get notified about a missed call or sms or whatever !
    I already missed countless calls and whatsapp messages from pretty girls because my 620 not even got glance 2.0 yet.
    tumblr_lxinyvo2ht1r2t8hto1_500.gif
    pci2k, Kieta, wiggum15 and 6 others like this.
    02-14-2014 07:33 AM
    Not 100% but certainly getting there. Still, not a deal breaker but I do like the Glance feature and contrary to popular belief, we will still have double tap to wake. Those two options are separate.
    we will still have double tap to wake? I want this waaaaaaay more than glance! Reading through the posts I was under the impression they were both removed. As long as I have double tap I'm all in. Double tap brings up lock screen which gives me the same info as glance anyway. #L928 #L822 #LGG2 have spoiled me with dt2Awake
    jlzimmerman likes this.
    02-14-2014 08:20 AM
    I like Glance but no way is it a deal breaker if it's not supported at release.
    02-14-2014 08:44 AM
    maybe, just maybe, the notification center for 8,1 will make Glance obsolete so why code Glance for the Icon if it's going to be replaced in the very near future?
    Glance and a Notification Center are two different things.
    02-14-2014 09:51 AM
    My theory is that there's something else coming down the pipeline with wp8.1 hardware when it comes to glance. Maybe the Icon is actually primed for wp8.1 but is running wp8. And that's why glance is not yet available - but will be in wp8.1 fashion with wp8.1 adjustments made.
    02-14-2014 09:57 AM
    Wait, I'm confused...I was going to switch from an S4...how do you know you have a message or missed a call? No LED light? No "glace"? You have to physically turn on the device just to see if you missed a call? Do I have that right?
    02-14-2014 11:09 AM
    Wait, I'm confused...I was going to switch from an S4...how do you know you have a message or missed a call? No LED light? No "glace"? You have to physically turn on the device just to see if you missed a call? Do I have that right?
    Some phones such as the HTC 8X have a notification light. Almost all Nokias (maybe all Nokias?) with the exception of the new Icon has Glance. And since it doesn't have Glance you can still use touch-to-wake. And if you don't have that, you can just press the power button to see missed notifications. Simple. Some notifications wake the screen up long enough for you to read them before going dormant again, with no touching required.
    02-14-2014 11:24 AM
    I can tell you as an Android user, a notification LED is a big freakin' deal...especially a customizable LED. To know exactly what type of notification you're missing is a nice time saver. With that being said, I'm still leaning towards trying out the Icon. We shall see

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    02-14-2014 11:30 AM
    Before coming to WP, I had Android handsets that both had (Moto Droid Razr on USCC) and did not have (Sammy Mesmerize on USCC) notification LED's. Its all personal preference, but that flashing LED came to be meaningless to me and I eventually just ignored them and checked the phone when I wanted to.
    Astropin likes this.
    02-14-2014 12:02 PM
    So, Nokia eschewed an LED in favor of Glance, which it then didn't put on this device? And the double tap thing doesn't work either? Maybe Android spoiled me (and know that I WANT to go to a WP), but NOT having to pick up and power on to see if I missed a call or a message is a pretty big deal. Tell me I got it wrong...
    bc3tech likes this.
    02-14-2014 12:13 PM
    I can tell you as an Android user, a notification LED is a big freakin' deal...especially a customizable LED. To know exactly what type of notification you're missing is a nice time saver. With that being said, I'm still leaning towards trying out the Icon. We shall see

I came to WP from the Galaxy Nexus. It was nice having a notification light, especially given it's color changes based on type of notification. But after the first two weeks, I realized I didn't really use/need it that much. *shrug*
    02-14-2014 12:24 PM
    Deal breaker for me as well. Don't understand at all. Was going to buy off contract as soon as it was available but now i will wait.
    My sentiments exactly. I'm going to be buying off-contract but I'm probably going to wait until launch date or later to see if Glance comes to it. If it no news by BUILD, I'll wait to see what devices they hand out there since WP8.1 is speculated to be the big talk; I think they'll be handing out 8.1 devices and maybe the Icon (for free) or something new/better by that time will come my way.
    02-14-2014 12:39 PM
    I don't see what the hype is about glance. I tried it on my 928 and shut it off. Battery leacher is all I see.

I tried it again with the black update... Still don't like it.
    02-14-2014 02:16 PM
    This will be my first Windows Phone too. I wasn't familiar with Glance and had to look it up. It's a neat feature, but a deal breaker on this incredible device?? Call me old fashioned, but my wrist watch is pretty handy at telling me the time, and I don't even have to wave my hand over it first...
    ajb1965 and Astropin like this.
    02-14-2014 04:44 PM
    I came to WP from the Galaxy Nexus. It was nice having a notification light, especially given it's color changes based on type of notification. But after the first two weeks, I realized I didn't really use/need it that much. *shrug*
    Yea, I'm a truck driver so that's a pretty big deal to me. I can just glance (no pun intended) down and see what type of notification I've got.

02-14-2014 06:40 PM

I never thought I'd survive without one.
    Turns out, I was fine.

And this is coming from a guy that used to harass BlackBerry employees because my phone had an RGB LED indicator yet wouldn't let me do any damn customization for it.
    Plus, I no longer have the issue of looking at my phone and having to keep my eye on it for a second to see if it blinks (you always had the fear you just missed a blink, so you watched for an entire interval!)
    jpling likes this.
    02-14-2014 06:45 PM
289 ... 45678 ...