06-14-2014 03:06 PM
289 ... 56789 ...
tools
    I never thought I'd survive without one.
    Turns out, I was fine.

And this is coming from a guy that used to harass BlackBerry employees because my phone had an RGB LED indicator yet wouldn't let me do any damn customization for it.
    Plus, I no longer have the issue of looking at my phone and having to keep my eye on it for a second to see if it blinks (you always had the fear you just missed a blink, so you watched for an entire interval!)
    lol you know I find this funny! Only because I spent so much time just looking at my led in the past just to see if it would blink when I could have tapped to wake or hit the power button 5 times over. Honestly reading that one line makes me realize I can survive lol thanks for that :)
    02-14-2014 08:14 PM
    The blinking LED was something I initially missed when I went from webOS to WP, having also been on BB. The reality was, however, that if you frequently get junk/unimportant emails and messages, it starts becoming useless has it's starts getting set off frequently. With webOS, I could plunk my Pre+(with 2.0 installed on it)/Pre2 onto a TouchStone and Exhibition would start and would show notifications on the bottom, which you could even swipe away. Glance is kind of similar, though more static like the lockscreen. I have it turned on for the occasional quick check of the time, but the 822 doesn't have Black yet so I don't get the email notifications that I really want. I have most of my important emails coming through my Outlook.com address, which has a different icon and would be easy to tell if I should power the phone and check.

There's got to be something screwy going on to keep Glance off the Icon. I sincerely doubt Verizon would care if it was installed, and it shouldn't be an issue. I guess we'll see.
    02-14-2014 08:57 PM
    I can also live quite well without Glance.

Glance is a cool feature, especially now that it gives notifications (it was virtually pointless prior to that), but I don't really use it. I like that it happens, and makes me feel I have something high tech, but if you took it away tomorrow without telling me it'd take me a few days to realize it was gone. Ooo, I can't see what time it is! I wear watches, which are a hundred times more convenient than Glance. And if I'm reaching over to the phone to activate Glance (which almost always activates without me meaning to), then I can just as easily hit the button, see what I need to see, then hit it again to turn the screen off.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the hysterics here. We're losing something cool, but I don't think we're losing something useful. It certainly shouldn't be a make-or-break feature.
    Residing likes this.
    02-14-2014 09:06 PM
    Notification light or glance IMO is required at this point.
    No indicator at all is a step backwards.
    We shouldn't have had to wait to begin with and now a flagship phone doesn't support it out of the box?
    maevinj and ret18057 like this.
    02-15-2014 07:34 AM
    Most are talking about how they don't need or want the light, okay, for you. But I still have a question. If there is no Glance AND there is no double tap, are you telling me the only way I will know if I miss a call or message is to physically pick up and turn on the phone? No snark here, just a real question.

That seems SO backward...
    02-15-2014 12:11 PM
    Most are talking about how they don't need or want the light, okay, for you. But I still have a question. If there is no Glance AND there is no double tap, are you telling me the only way I will know if I miss a call or message is to physically pick up and turn on the phone? No snark here, just a real question.

That's the way I understand it, and it's why I'm not getting this phone. Regardless of all the snarky comments from people about it shouldn't be a deal breaker, it is for some people.
    anon6002755 and ret18057 like this.
    02-15-2014 12:15 PM

Press the power button to light up the lock screen and see your notifications. Very simple to do. You don't even have to put in your password.

Posted via the WPC App
    ret18057 likes this.
    02-15-2014 02:21 PM
    Its always in my pocket, in my hand, laying on my desk next to me, or in the charging stand in line of sight. I'll either feel it vibrate (have sound off) or see it light up as the notifications hit the phone.

If its some time when I don't have the phone with me (night, yard work, workouts,etc) its easy enough to press the power button and see as mentioned above. I usually have a notification of some type, so even if there was an LED or if I used Glance, I would be turning on the phone anyway.
    fonefan likes this.
    02-15-2014 02:41 PM
    From someone who LOVES Glance, here are two reasons why for me...

1) I have my 1520 in a charging cradle on the table next to my bed at night. Glance is set to "always on" and set to enter night mode between 11 p.m. And 6 a.m. Basically, the display turns red (one of a few color choices) at reduced illumination to save battery life. Just "glancing" at the phone any time I am in bed tells me the time and also any notifications of my choosing. Mine are currently set to show my work email, instant messages, Facebook and Twitter notifications. I can double. Tap to wake and check any very easily.

2) I use the Quiet Hours app during the day at work so my phone makes no noises during the many meetings I have (apparently this will be a standard feature in 8.1). Glance allows me to see how many work emails only I am receiving versus personal ones so I am not checking my phone every time it buzzes.

Those are just the two main reasons I love Glance and I don't think anyone can really appreciate it without using it....certainly not by reading a review based on a basic description of the function. And this may be just because I have a 1520, but battery drain is negligible....practically none over an overnight period when I was traveling last week and forgot to plug in.
    maevinj and Ntropy99 like this.
    02-15-2014 03:39 PM
    are you telling me the only way I will know if I miss a call or message is to physically pick up and turn on the phone?
    12702-first-world-problems-template.jpg

Not making fun just couldn't help it.
    02-15-2014 03:44 PM
    That's the way I understand it, and it's why I'm not getting this phone. Regardless of all the snarky comments from people about it shouldn't be a deal breaker, it is for some people.
    I'll be buying regardless of glance support or not currently but I understand the sentiments of those that will not because of the lack of this feature. Others I assume feel the same and will be happy if glance comes along but won't feel wronged by Nokia without it.
    02-15-2014 05:12 PM
    Glance while on the Fatboy is nice, but the Fatboy isn't within my eyesight, or remotely near it, when I'm in my bed, so it's not overly useful.

And I am so confused by this "YOU MEAN I NEED TO PICK UP MY PHONE!" gibberish? No, no you do not. To use glance, you need to wave your hand in front of the phone. Then wave it again, because it probably didn't notice. This assumes you have it on Peek, but Peek is the default and probably where you'll keep it.
    Half the time I need to physically touch the phone to get it.

To see if I have a message otherwise, and prior, I still don't pick the phone up, I just squeeze it at the button. It takes a fraction of a second longer and I'm already reaching over to it.

From what I'm gathering, a lot of the people here saying it's Glance or no purchase aren't people with WP already. We've been living fine without it, or notification lights, for years now. You think you'd miss it, but you really don't.
    02-15-2014 05:36 PM
    Does iPhone have anything like glance or a notification LED?
    02-15-2014 05:51 PM
    Currently my Android has the blinking LED ..... and I ignore it 100% of the time.

I check my notifications when I check them.

If it's an emergency just freaking dial my number.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    JBConforti likes this.
    02-15-2014 06:25 PM
    Twitter update pt2

glance2.png

I'm starting to think more and more that something went wrong and that it may have had something to do with the delay. I'm just not buying this hardware b.s... Thoughts?
    02-15-2014 06:32 PM

I'm starting to think more and more that something went wrong and that it may have had something to do with the delay. I'm just not buying this hardware b.s... Thoughts?
    That person knew nothing.

JBConforti likes this.
    02-15-2014 06:41 PM
    Currently my Android has the blinking LED ..... and I ignore it 100% of the time.
    You can turn it off ya know.
    02-15-2014 06:51 PM
    This sounds like "not ever".
    Given that I'm tethered to VZW, I guess it's bye bye winphone for me.

Twitter update pt2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	glance2.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	57129

02-15-2014 06:53 PM
    You can turn it off ya know.
    Yeah.... I just never bothered.

02-15-2014 06:55 PM
    Do you currently have a WP?

02-15-2014 06:56 PM
    Does iPhone have anything like glance or a notification LED?
    Nope. You do have the option to make the camera LED flash though.
    02-15-2014 07:52 PM
    We have no idea if that rep has full knowledge of the situation and even if they did the official line is "hardware limitation" so that is what the rep will say. Don't read any more into the conversation than just that. Now, don't buy the phone if you can't live without glance, but I'd be surprised if it didn't show up at some point.
    02-15-2014 08:06 PM
    What's interesting is that the article that wpcentral just posted said that 8.1 will have double tap to wake. It mentions that all lumia's with amber update or later already have this. So why would the Icon not have this or glance. It just doesn't make sense.,
    02-15-2014 08:48 PM
    So the very long answer to the simple question "Do I have to physically turn the phone on to check for messages" is YES. Wow. I'm not a troll, and I want to move to WP, not bash the OS. I was just asking, as an Android user now, if this was the case. It's nice that you don't care about the notifications, but I wasn't asking about how "you" use the phone or if you ignore the LED on Android. I am just trying to figure out what WP (and the Icon specifically) is all about before I get one, and if some of these issues are too much to switch. That's all, just a WP N00B looking for objective information (does it do this or not), not subjective ("I use the phone this way" or "I don't care if it does that").

This reminds me of Android in 2007, coming along but still in its infancy. One of this things that helped me with Android was the friendliness and sense of (small) community in the user group. That's all I was hoping for here.

Thanks for the information.
    savagelizards and admorris#AC like this.
    02-15-2014 09:52 PM
    Uuum.... You do realize that on the iPhone you have to press the home button to see your notifications. On an Android phone you have an LED light, (yes, you can customize the color of it for each type of notification), but it will only blink the color of the last notification, which means that you would still have to press the home button to see what notifications you have. So that's better than a Windows phone without glance, how?

This whole "I'm not buying the Icon because it doesn't support Glance" argument is ridiculous.

Posted via the WPC App
    mozman68 and Astropin like this.
    02-15-2014 11:22 PM
289 ... 56789 ...