No Glance support?!!!

anon6002755

May 17, 2013
Visit site
That's the way I understand it, and it's why I'm not getting this phone. Regardless of all the snarky comments from people about it shouldn't be a deal breaker, it is for some people.

I'll be buying regardless of glance support or not currently but I understand the sentiments of those that will not because of the lack of this feature. Others I assume feel the same and will be happy if glance comes along but won't feel wronged by Nokia without it.

JudgeHolden

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Glance while on the Fatboy is nice, but the Fatboy isn't within my eyesight, or remotely near it, when I'm in my bed, so it's not overly useful.

And I am so confused by this "YOU MEAN I NEED TO PICK UP MY PHONE!" gibberish? No, no you do not. To use glance, you need to wave your hand in front of the phone. Then wave it again, because it probably didn't notice. This assumes you have it on Peek, but Peek is the default and probably where you'll keep it.
Half the time I need to physically touch the phone to get it.

To see if I have a message otherwise, and prior, I still don't pick the phone up, I just squeeze it at the button. It takes a fraction of a second longer and I'm already reaching over to it.

From what I'm gathering, a lot of the people here saying it's Glance or no purchase aren't people with WP already. We've been living fine without it, or notification lights, for years now. You think you'd miss it, but you really don't.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Currently my Android has the blinking LED ..... and I ignore it 100% of the time.

I check my notifications when I check them.

If it's an emergency just freaking dial my number.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

JBConforti

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Twitter update pt2

glance2.png

I'm starting to think more and more that something went wrong and that it may have had something to do with the delay. I'm just not buying this hardware b.s... Thoughts?

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like "not ever".
Given that I'm tethered to VZW, I guess it's bye bye winphone for me.

We have no idea if that rep has full knowledge of the situation and even if they did the official line is "hardware limitation" so that is what the rep will say. Don't read any more into the conversation than just that. Now, don't buy the phone if you can't live without glance, but I'd be surprised if it didn't show up at some point.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
What's interesting is that the article that wpcentral just posted said that 8.1 will have double tap to wake. It mentions that all lumia's with amber update or later already have this. So why would the Icon not have this or glance. It just doesn't make sense.,

ret18057

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
So the very long answer to the simple question "Do I have to physically turn the phone on to check for messages" is YES. Wow. I'm not a troll, and I want to move to WP, not bash the OS. I was just asking, as an Android user now, if this was the case. It's nice that you don't care about the notifications, but I wasn't asking about how "you" use the phone or if you ignore the LED on Android. I am just trying to figure out what WP (and the Icon specifically) is all about before I get one, and if some of these issues are too much to switch. That's all, just a WP N00B looking for objective information (does it do this or not), not subjective ("I use the phone this way" or "I don't care if it does that").

This reminds me of Android in 2007, coming along but still in its infancy. One of this things that helped me with Android was the friendliness and sense of (small) community in the user group. That's all I was hoping for here.

Thanks for the information.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
This sounds like "not ever".
Given that I'm tethered to VZW, I guess it's bye bye winphone for me.

Uuum.... You do realize that on the iPhone you have to press the home button to see your notifications. On an Android phone you have an LED light, (yes, you can customize the color of it for each type of notification), but it will only blink the color of the last notification, which means that you would still have to press the home button to see what notifications you have. So that's better than a Windows phone without glance, how?

This whole "I'm not buying the Icon because it doesn't support Glance" argument is ridiculous.

Posted via the WPC App

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Notification light or glance IMO is required at this point.
No indicator at all is a step backwards.
We shouldn't have had to wait to begin with and now a flagship phone doesn't support it out of the box?

Iphones don't have notification light nor glance and yet they're selling through the roof. You don't hear their customers complaining.

Posted via the WPC App

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So the very long answer to the simple question "Do I have to physically turn the phone on to check for messages" is YES. Wow. I'm not a troll, and I want to move to WP, not bash the OS. I was just asking, as an Android user now, if this was the case. It's nice that you don't care about the notifications, but I wasn't asking about how "you" use the phone or if you ignore the LED on Android. I am just trying to figure out what WP (and the Icon specifically) is all about before I get one, and if some of these issues are too much to switch. That's all, just a WP N00B looking for objective information (does it do this or not), not subjective ("I use the phone this way" or "I don't care if it does that").

This reminds me of Android in 2007, coming along but still in its infancy. One of this things that helped me with Android was the friendliness and sense of (small) community in the user group. That's all I was hoping for here.

Thanks for the information.

Let me clarify. If you get a toast, the phone will light up the screen and show it for a brief period of time. If you get any other message, you will get vibration and/or message tone when the message comes in. The only thing you are getting with Glance is the ability for the phone to show the notifications while the phone is showing Glance, which it will do for a period of time after it has detected a change from dark to lighter via ambient sensor (i.e. to activate Glance, place your hand over the ambient sensor and lift it away - it will also do this when pulled from the pocket). An LED doesn't really add to the information other than constantly reminding you to check. I find it to be a very minor setback in real life. I do want Glance with notifications though, as that is better than an LED or brief lighting of the display.

You only need to touch the power button, or use double tap to wake, to see the lock screen where notifications will also be displayed. Again, not as big of a deal as I think some are making it out to be. I think it's more of a WTF moment on Nokia's part, and hope it's just a software/firmware issue they need to resolve. Makes no sense otherwise.

fonefan

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I almost wonder what would've happened if the lack of Glance was not mentioned and all these people complaining bought the Icon....

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I almost wonder what would've happened if the lack of Glance was not mentioned and all these people complaining bought the Icon....

It wouldn't be missed by me. Seems like a gimmick add on. I don't need to wave at my phone to see the time or notifications.
I did have it on my 822 but since all this has come up I turned it off and it's like a relief not to bother with that step anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12