No Glance support?!!!

california86

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they were going to add the unannounced Icon/929 to the list of devices that would support Glance for an article posted in July of last year...

He was responding to my question as to what Glance is.

That being said, glad I don't currently have a WP. I might actually miss this feature. :p

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Amazing how many people will not get the Icon because of Glance. I get that it's a great feature. But considering how it's an upgrade to the 928 in basically every way, there is no way Im not picking this phone up. Besides, there's still a chance it'll get it. But for me, not a deal breaker at all.

slick5150

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Again, everyone is assuming the phone doesn't support Glance. That has never been said. It doesn't have the feature at this moment, but I'd be shocked if it doesn't very soon, possibly even by the time you can actually buy the phone you're complaining is missing a feature.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Again, everyone is assuming the phone doesn't support Glance. That has never been said. It doesn't have the feature at this moment, but I'd be shocked if it doesn't very soon, possibly even by the time you can actually buy the phone you're complaining is missing a feature.

Nokia Lumia Icon Review | Windows Phone Central

But wait. There is one lame thing about the Icon and that is it doesn’t support the Glance screen. For those who aren’t familiar, Glance is a Nokia technology that allows static information to be displayed on the screen when in standby. It shows the time and with Update 3, can optionally show notifications as well. It’s super useful and with the Glance Background app, you can even customize it with your own images.

But yes, Glance is not available on the Lumia Icon out of the box, nor with any system app updates (e.g. Extras + Info, which did not change the situation). That also means no double-tap to wake, as the two features are intertwined.

Nokia says this is due to “certain hardware restrictions” and they’re not ruling it out in the future, but as of today, the Lumia Icon will remain a Glance-free device. That’s a bit of a letdown, especially for a flagship Lumia, but if you never used it, then there’s nothing to miss. But if you were looking forward to it, then…

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

If you're betting the phone will have Glance by 2/20, I'd bet against you. I would love to lose the bet, but I'd be shocked if I did.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Amazing how many people will not get the Icon because of Glance. I get that it's a great feature. But considering how it's an upgrade to the 928 in basically every way, there is no way Im not picking this phone up. Besides, there's still a chance it'll get it. But for me, not a deal breaker at all.

I was already leaning against it, so for me it's just one more knock against it. No xenon flash, no microSD slot, no Glance. Same storage space as my almost full 928 but with a higher res camera...and the memory and quad core should be improvements, but not the kind of improvement the 928 was versus the Trophy.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I was already leaning against it, so for me it's just one more knock against it. No xenon flash, no microSD slot, no Glance. Same storage space as my almost full 928 but with a higher res camera...and the memory and quad core should be improvements, but not the kind of improvement the 928 was versus the Trophy.

I'm speaking more of the people who won't be getting this because of the lack of Glance, not those who were on the fence. For those who planned on getting on this, I don't think Glance is the reason to not pick this up.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
No, the Icon will be AMOLED as well. Sometimes bloggers will write incorrect information. And more often than not, OLED and AMOLED are used interchangeably.

Nokia Lumia Icon - The Ultimate Video Experience - Nokia - USA

Display technology: ClearBlack, AMOLED

Good find, so maybe there is hope.. It could also be in error.. Wasn't it the Nokia site that said the 928 had FM radio for the longest time before they fixed it?

If the Icon does actually have AMOLED, the only thing I can think of is it is having screen freezing troubles like the 928 is and they pinpointed it to Glance and maybe that is why it is disabled for now?

Either that or the Nokia Glance app hasn't been updated to be allowed to install on the Icon.. kinda like the issues people are having with Beamer and that other app on the new 928 Black?

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm speaking more of the people who won't be getting this because of the lack of Glance, not those who were on the fence. For those who planned on getting on this, I don't think Glance is the reason to not pick this up.

I was going to get it, but now I've moved myself to the fence. Glance as it functions now is rather meh, but I share time between my 928 and a Moto X, and Active Notifications shows me the awesome potential for Glance and to have a device without that potential is not something I want to jump on right away. If you've never used Active Notifications, then yeah, it's not a huge loss.

But if it actually does have a AMOLED screen and not just a OLED screen then the potential to get it is there. It's just weird that it isn't there now.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

That's your opinion and you can't speak for "most people" who planned on getting it. Glance is a legitimate feature. For Nokia/Verizon to omit is just baffling. I honestly would rather have Glance than wireless charging...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb