No Glance support?!!!

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
That's your opinion and you can't speak for "most people" who planned on getting it. Glance is a legitimate feature. For Nokia/Verizon to omit is just baffling. I honestly would rather have Glance than wireless charging...

My guess is that it will show up on the Icon very soon.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I honestly would rather have Glance than wireless charging...

I was posing that same question to myself...and besides the obvious answer of "Id rather have BOTH"...I think I would side with rather having wireless charging than glance.... we should take a poll in another thread, haha.

Either that or the Nokia Glance app hasn't been updated to be allowed to install on the Icon.. kinda like the issues people are having with Beamer and that other app on the new 928 Black?

Couple of the comments made me think into WHY it wouldn't be there...The screen isn't new tech...that has been around and in use on other Lumia's so it dawned on me, I wonder if it just hasn't been properly tested on phones with such a high resolution pixel density? Could be they just haven't solved that issue yet, and they haven't scalled all the notifications to work with such a high PPI and once that is done it will roll out. It will just take a settings update to fix it, right?

Last edited:

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
That's your opinion and you can't speak for "most people" who planned on getting it. Glance is a legitimate feature. For Nokia/Verizon to omit is just baffling. I honestly would rather have Glance than wireless charging...

Reread both my posts. Not once did I say I was speaking on behalf of anyone. My last post was clarifying WHO I'm speaking ABOUT, not who I'm speaking FOR. And again, reread my posts. I clearly said things like "I think" and "for me", letting it be known that it's my opinion. Just saying mine like everyone else is saying theirs.

As far as Glance as a legitimate feature, I never said it wasn't. I use it on my 928. I certainly enjoy having it. But the fact that the Icon may possibly never get it is not a reason for me to pass on this phone. And I'm not sure why it would be the sole reason anyone would pass on it. If you plan on staying with Verizon then this is the phone to get, unless you don't mind waiting another 10 months. That's what I'm saying.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Couple of the comments made me think into WHY it wouldn't be there...The screen isn't new tech...that has been around and in use on other Lumia's so it dawned on me, I wonder if it just hasn't been properly tested on phones with such a high resolution? Could be they just haven't solved that issue yet, and they haven't scalled all the notifications to work with such a high PPI and once that is done it will roll out. It will just take a settings update to fix it, right?

Yeah, it's possible, but isn't that 6" 1080p 1530 using Glance? Heck, Nokia added Glance to the old school LCD 920 and an LCD screen has to be entirely backlit to be on.

This just makes this omission even more and more weird.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it's possible, but isn't that 6" 1080p 1530 using Glance? Heck, Nokia added Glance to the old school LCD 920 and an LCD screen has to be entirely backlit to be on.

This just makes this omission even more and more weird.

I said resolution in one place (they do have equal resolutions) and PPI in another. I was meaning to compare the PPI, or density. On the 1520, the PPI is very similar to the 925, 925=>330s vs. 360s for the 1520. The Icon is now over 440.

The 1520 and Icon both have the same resolution, the 925 and Icon both have the same technology. Nothing and the Icon have the same pixel density.
Not saying that is the fault, just an idea of something major that changed.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
U guys sound crazy. Glance is not a important feature at all for me and its definitely not a deal breaker. As long as the battery last longer its better. What does glance do that makes it a deal breaker besides keep the screen on...lmao come on....who cares

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
U guys sound crazy. Glance is not a important feature at all for me and its definitely not a deal breaker. As long as the battery last longer its better. What does glance do that makes it a deal breaker besides keep the screen on...lmao come on....who cares

It might not be a sspectacular feature but don't you thinks its odd Verizon gimping their WP devices? If they do this what will they remove from WP 8.1? And its not as if this phone will get pride of place in vzw stores so one wonders why they intentionally sabotage their WP devices.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It might not be a sspectacular feature but don't you thinks its odd Verizon gimping their WP devices? If they do this what will they remove from WP 8.1? And its not as if this phone will get pride of place in vzw stores so one wonders why they intentionally sabotage their WP devices.

Nokia said its a hardware thing its not Verizon, it may be added eventually. Glance works fine on my 928 so what makes u believe vzw is blocking it?

slowburnaz

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
hmmm I been reading other reviews, like the one from Nokia Lumia Icon - Windows Phone Reviews - Laptop Mag

It says: "The device also sports an improved Glance feature. The enhanced function displays notifications on the lockscreen for missed calls, texts, emails and alarms in addition to the large digital clock at the bottom of the display ."

Yeah, that's pretty weird, and contrary to what Daniel Rubino saw on his phone.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'd trust this site more than some general purpose tech reviewer.

I miss Glance a ton and its only been a few hours. Double tap still works tho

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'd trust this site more than some general purpose tech reviewer.

I miss Glance a ton and its only been a few hours. Double tap still works tho

Daniel seemed to indicate that glance & double tap are related and thus the Icon will have neither... I really don't actually understand that either. But I've disabled both on my NL822 for the time being :cry:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Daniel seemed to indicate that glance & double tap are related and thus the Icon will have neither... I really don't actually understand that either. But I've disabled both on my NL822 for the time being :cry:

I mean, the hardware supports it, so honestly, no excuse. And if you say the amoled thing, that's bs, as the 1020 is amoled and has that.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to turn off glance and see if I care. Can't imagine it meaning that much. Maybe it will.
At least I'll get it figured out by the 20th.

airjeff

May 22, 2013
Visit site
It might be possible that this is why the phone was delayed? I doubt it's truly a hardware issue, probably some bugs they couldn't get worked out and through another round of testing before launch. We'll never know the answer, but its fun to guess. LOL

It is a cool feature, but I'll still dump my GS4 in a heartbeat to get this phone.

pci2k

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I had trouble getting Glance working on my 822, especially with the double tap not working all the time. Plus I found the blinking time annoying. Always thought I had a call or text. So it's not a big deal for me not to have it.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site

This is why I'm ticked Glance isn't on there. I really want the double tap feature. If you can double tap without Glance, then I'm back on board.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Never cared for Glance, but like the double tap. Wonder what weird hardware they pulled that it's not supportable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers